IGNORED

Even Tho They're Winning You Gotta Feel Sorry For Wimbledon...

BS4 on Tour...

Wait until 'that's the hedgehog' is the commonly used phrase. The time is coming, Aiz, I tell thee

Horace and I are working on it, Woodsy. Hopefully there'll still be some hedgehogs left in the wild so people will know what they're talking about...

Indeed. As a former Wimbledonian, I'll never refer to them as "Dons", in fact the club name makes no sense really when you think about it.

Unfortunately, the seeds of the decline of the original Wimbledon FC were sowed by Hammam's decision that you couldn't convert Plough Lane to all-seater (you could) and that a 20,000-seater new stadium was required. When the sale of the Plough Lane site to a suupermarket was blocked, and the council changed to Tory control and brought up objections to the new stadium scheme [does this sound a bit familiar to people  ;) ]  Wimbledon fans were faced with the very difficult - emotionally and physically - journey to Selhurst Park. Located in a vile part of London, it was the beginning of the end. The Norwegians just screwed the lid down on the coffin IMO.

I bet a famous Wimbledon resident and property owner once called Tony Benn's 'vicar on earth', had his say on the matter.

I bet a famous Wimbledon resident and property owner once called Tony Benn's 'vicar on earth', had his say on the matter.

I don't know who that is, but there are loads of posh people in Wimbledon and that is one of the problems building a fan base. Although Plough Lane is in one of the grottier areas of the town, rugby has a big following in the area generally and the recent influx of white South Africans has only exacerbated that.

Replying to the person who says why shouldn't Milton Keynes call themselves "Dons", the name is a contraction of Wimbledon so it makes no sense for the franchise to have appropriated it. Using the same logic, they should be called MK Eynes.

The only other Dons I can think of is Aberdeen and I'm not sure why they are called that. Large numbers of players called.Donald perhaps? I could accept it if Oxford or Cambridge wanted to become "the Dons" but not Franchise FC.

I don't know who that is, but there are loads of posh people in Wimbledon and that is one of the problems building a fan base. Although Plough Lane is in one of the grottier areas of the town, rugby has a big following in the area generally and the recent influx of white South Africans has only exacerbated that.

Replying to the person who says why shouldn't Milton Keynes call themselves "Dons", the name is a contraction of Wimbledon so it makes no sense for the franchise to have appropriated it. Using the same logic, they should be called MK Eynes.

The only other Dons I can think of is Aberdeen and I'm not sure why they are called that. Large numbers of players called.Donald perhaps? I could accept it if Oxford or Cambridge wanted to become "the Dons" but not Franchise FC.

I think once they realised that the project was not going to fall on it's arse they should have dropped the Don's bit mind you it took them long enough to send all of Wimbledon's memorabilia back.

I think once they realised that the project was not going to fall on it's arse they should have dropped the Don's bit mind you it took them long enough to send all of Wimbledon's memorabilia back.

Too right. They didn't do anything to try to smooth any tensions.

and Hong Kong based property developers.

and Hong Kong based property developers.

You seem to know more about who lives in Wimbledon than me, Es!

One interesting fact about this delightfully leafy suburb is that the house of the Papal Nuncio - effectively the Vatican embassy in the UK - was once owned by bouncing bomb inventor Barnes-Wallis.

Wimbledon is also the UK home of Lidl Supermarkets, the Communication Workers Union and that bloke from Gavin & Stacey. And T Rex recorded Ride A White Swan there. (not at the Gavin & Stacey bloke's house)

Aberdeen sits between the mouths of the River Don and Dee. Hence the 'Dons'.

'Aber' is 'mouth' (as in Welsh) and 'Deen' is the genitive of 'Dee'. Hence Aberdeen, just to confuse the Sassenachs.

You seem to know more about who lives in Wimbledon than me, Es!

One interesting fact about this delightfully leafy suburb is that the house of the Papal Nuncio - effectively the Vatican embassy in the UK - was once owned by bouncing bomb inventor Barnes-Wallis.

Wimbledon is also the UK home of Lidl Supermarkets, the Communication Workers Union and that bloke from Gavin & Stacey. And T Rex recorded Ride A White Swan there. (not at the Gavin & Stacey bloke's house)

Nothing about tennis or the Wombles then?

This season they are in the top 6 and have an average of 7,906. Considering MK is quite a large place now (220k) and they haven't really got much competition nearby that is pretty poor.

It begs the question who actually supports MK? Assuming most football fans would have had a team before MK dons were established.

There will be a generation of teenagers now that will call MK their local team, and a selection of fans that may have supported non-league teams and changed allegiances now they have a local league team.

Archived