IGNORED

Shades Of 89/90?

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

Once again I was toiling away at work today, so could not get to the game, making do with talksport and internet ( on 3G which seems to be getting slower by the day) updates.

The manner of the victory though has had me casting my mind back to Jordans promotion team, whilst the injury to Taylor most likely stopped us from going up as champions that season, there was never a panic if we went behind. We were confident that we'd score and we usually did, the team were confident, the fans were confident and that led to some brilliant atmospheres at games home and away, could this be another season where confidence throughout the club takes us to auto promotion?

Good post.

Still early days, this season, of course.

This team needs to tighten up at the back before it can be compared to the 89/90 team.

Jordan's team dished out some real beatings that season , including 3-0 at Crapdiff, 4-0 at Brum & 5-0 at Swansea. We aren't at that stage yet.

Once again I was toiling away at work today, so could not get to the game, making do with talksport and internet ( on 3G which seems ro be getting slower by the day) updates.

The manner of the victory though has had me casting my mind back to Jordans promotion team, whilst the injury to Taylor most likely stopped us from going up as champions that season, there was never a panic if we went behind. We were confident that we'd score and we usually did, the team were confident, the fans were confident and that led to some brilliant atmospheres at games home and away, could this be another season where confidence takes to auto promotion?

Well said....played far less fluently than usual today, but still won. heads didnt go down. The confidence is there. The ability is there. The Atmosphere is there.

Once again I was toiling away at work today, so could not get to the game, making do with talksport and internet ( on 3G which seems ro be getting slower by the day) updates.

The manner of the victory though has had me casting my mind back to Jordans promotion team, whilst the injury to Taylor most likely stopped us from going up as champions that season, there was never a panic if we went behind. We were confident that we'd score and we usually did, the team were confident, the fans were confident and that led to some brilliant atmospheres at games home and away, could this be another season where confidence takes to auto promotion?

My first ever game was January 20th, 1990.

No frills 1-0 win v Bury. And Bob Taylor missed a penalty.

Tbf I was eight, so that's the extent of the analysis.

• Admin

That was my season for going to every game, home and away, had plenty of seasons doing all the home games, but thats the only one with every game seen - some good times had that season.

Thanks Mr Hansen.  You have a well rewarded job on the MOTD sofa to look forward to. 

Thanks Mr Hansen.  You have a well rewarded job on the MOTD sofa to look forward to.

Aye, in thoose days, City cood defend properly - with grit and determination. You do-unt see such a thing these days with three at the back. We always used to say "you have to play four at the back", it's fundamental.

And just look at the average age of Williams, Flint and Ayling; you won't win anything with kids.

• Admin

Just thinking, have we actually been behind yet at any point this season? Can't think of any off the top of my head

Perhaps my wording wasn't too accurate, but I was just trying covey that this season seems to have the signs of the spirit that was evident throughout the club in that season, although, there was no mass internet and social media for the doomsayers to proclaim their portents of disaster.

Aye, in thoose days, City cood defend properly - with grit and determination. You do-unt see such a thing these days with three at the back. We always used to say "you have to play four at the back", it's fundamental.

And just look at the average age of Williams, Flint and Ayling; you won't win anything with kids.

Unbelievable.  I made a mistake with your analysis.  Get yourself a gauche 1970s moustache and jumper and you can cuddle up tight* to Lineker, Lawro.

*Not literally, obviously.

Good post.

Still early days, this season, of course.

This team needs to tighten up at the back before it can be compared to the 89/90 team.

Jordan's team dished out some real beatings that season , including 3-0 at Crapdiff, 4-0 at Brum & 5-0 at Swansea. We aren't at that stage yet.

I dunno, that team took a fair few hammerings as well.. 0-6 at Tranmere, 1-5 at Cambridge in the cup and that horrible night at trumpton. We werent the best team defensively but it was certainly the best footballing side we've had since our first division days.

I dunno, that team took a fair few hammerings as well.. 0-6 at Tranmere, 1-5 at Cambridge in the cup and that horrible night at trumpton. We werent the best team defensively but it was certainly the best footballing side we've had since our first division days.

There was also a heavy defeat early on at home to Swansea (3-1?) that saw Psycho Humphries come into the starting line up so we weren't always great at the back.

There is one other similarity, we have a target man in Wilbraham (it was Robbie Turner back then) and we mix the game up, going long when needed but passing it well when that is the right thing to do.

City back then would either do the hammering or get hammered, we would really lose the plot sometimes when going behind even for a couple years after that season... I remember watford 5-2 city with about 3 city sent off and a two 4-0 defeats against wolves and swindle also the 4-2 loss in the cup after being in a comfortable position against the non leaguers.

That 89-90 team ran up some high scoring victories as has been posted.

However they only won 27 of the 46 games, a 58.69% average.

Another similarity with this season and that, City went out of the League Cup in the 1st round.

There was also a heavy defeat early on at home to Swansea (3-1?) that saw Psycho Humphries come into the starting line up so we weren't always great at the back.

There is one other similarity, we have a target man in Wilbraham (it was Robbie Turner back then) and we mix the game up, going long when needed but passing it well when that is the right thing to do.

Aye Salako tore us a new one, then we went up to Tranmere, got smashed by 6, that is when it turned, they got back, Jordan made the whole first team play the next game in the stiffs, Paul Wimbelton, didn't take it seriously, Jordan nearly took his head off and he never played for us again, and was sold a few weeks later, from that point, the whole club seemed to be galvanised, apart from another Tranmere trouncing at home 3-1 I seem to remember, I can't remember another big beating that we took that season.

Aye Salako tore us a new one, then we went up to Tranmere, got smashed by 6, that is when it turned, they got back, Jordan made the whole first team play the next game in the stiffs, Paul Wimbelton, didn't take it seriously, Jordan nearly took his head off and he never played for us again, and was sold a few weeks later, from that point, the whole club seemed to be galvanised, apart from another Tranmere trouncing at home 3-1 I seem to remember, I can't remember another big beating that we took that season.

There was one, right at the end of the season, on a park pitch, they were managed by a bloke with a mullet, but I can't bring myself to mention them by name....

Once again I was toiling away at work today, so could not get to the game, making do with talksport and internet ( on 3G which seems to be getting slower by the day) updates.

The manner of the victory though has had me casting my mind back to Jordans promotion team, whilst the injury to Taylor most likely stopped us from going up as champions that season, there was never a panic if we went behind. We were confident that we'd score and we usually did, the team were confident, the fans were confident and that led to some brilliant atmospheres at games home and away, could this be another season where confidence throughout the club takes us to auto promotion?

A nice thought but I reckon this team/season is quite different, the fact that we are in a completely changed football-era notwithstanding.

Games were tight then, as I remember, winning 1-0 quite a few times. True there were those thumpings at St Andrews, the Vetch and Ninian (in the rain) but that was largely down to one man and his enormous thighs. The scoring this time round seems much more shared and balanced.

I also reflect on that season as being pretty tight at the back with Humph and Biff. Whilst we did ok defensively at the start of this year, we look like we will concede pretty much every game at the moment. But also like we're gonna score more (or at least as many) up the other end (and the stats back me up on that!!)

Playing with two wingers then, Smith and Gavin involved proper British 1980s 4-4-2 wing play, sending looped balls in for Turner to bosh on to Taylor to bash into the net, as well as some more agricultural long-ball stuff (the 2nd and 3rd goals at Ninian from Leaning's goal-kick a prime example: Leaning - thwack - Turner - douche - Taylor - thump! Goal! 2-0! ... and ... Smith - loop - Turner - bosche! Goal! 3-0!)

That's not to say we didn't play any neat stuff then, cos we did - Renns pinging it about - but there is much more finesse and technique to this team, as all footballers have improved. I think this team would beat that team, for touch (and fitness, athleticism...) alone. The way we can bring the ball out from the back now and be patient with it around the back 3 (didn't SoD try doing that?!) shows the level of footballing skill this lot possess (obv Biff was very handy with the ball).

Where I do agree with you on similarities, Maesknoll, is with two things: the team spirit and consistency of selection. There is a (for want of a better word) togetherness about this lot that strikes a chord with that season and in 89/90 we continually played the same basic set up of Llewy-Bailey-Biff-Humph ; Gavin-Rennie-Shelton (heroic)-Smith ; Turner-Taylor. At least until Easter or so when we'd bagged enough points and then both strikers limped out of the season...

As a pessimist, however, I have to say this is highly irregular me getting carried away and talking about similarities to promotion seasons when it is only October. What gives? Something must be done about this silliness...!

There was one, right at the end of the season, on a park pitch, they were managed by a bloke with a mullet, but I can't bring myself to mention them by name....

It didn't happen, that has been erased from my memory banks! :)

I would also suggest that our current midfield of Smith and Elliott is the best we have had since Shelton and Rennie.

Archived