IGNORED

Ben Flower

Cap flinger

So I'm guessing most of you have seen his punches on the Kiwi chap in the game of egg chasing.

A mate of mine did something similar in local football and got 120 hour community service. So my question is how can these professional role models escape the law ? Surely they should face the same punishment as members of public, let's face it if you did that in a boozer on a Saturday night you would be spending a night in the cells and a day in court!

Any thoughts on this?

The pub analogy doesn't really apply because you wouldn't spend 80 mins banging into and wrestling everyone to the ground in a pub on a Saturday night.

The fact that you do just that in rugby league and also the physicality involved means that the odd punch is bound to be thrown, so criminal proceedings should never be called for in sport. In the same way that you wouldn't call the police to arrest two boxers in a ring.

Having said that, the tap he gave him when he was on the ground was uncalled for.

The pub analogy doesn't really apply because you wouldn't spend 80 mins banging into and wrestling everyone to the ground in a pub on a Saturday night.

The fact that you do just that in rugby league and also the physicality involved means that the odd punch is bound to be thrown, so criminal proceedings should never be called for in sport. In the same way that you wouldn't call the police to arrest two boxers in a ring.

Having said that, the tap he gave him when he was on the ground was uncalled for.

sorry but rugby and boxing are not the same sport

Yeah the odd punch, not when the guy is already been sparked out and he punches him yet again square in the nose....

It's called self control...and abiding by the rules, and having respect for an opponent or individual...that's what makes us different from animals.

Live life by rules put in place, and respect one another. If you don't like the rules....avoid.

If someone gets injured in Sport and it's within the rules and nothing is malicious then there is nothing wrong.

If you killed someone in boxing by punching their lights out...it's very sad, but part and parcel of the game.

If you kick someone going for the ball in football and they die from their injury (it's happened...see angel of death on youtube) it's an accident...and sad.

But if you kill someone in sport or injure them severely by not abiding by the rules or being malicious, then imho...you should come under the same jurisdiction as the public and it's laws and rules.

It was pretty incredible (and grim) to watch.  I guess my two thoughts were:

a) seeing a genuine act of a violence like that shows up the petty scrapping, rolling around and handbags you get in football for what it is - i.e. a bit tawdry and embarrassing for all concerned.

b) the fact it's a physical sport should make no difference - what happened there was a full-on assault.  From the sounds of it the guy who got punched is willing to forgive and move on so fair enough but he'd be well within his rights to ask the police to press charges...

Truly shocking. Interesting that all the pundits think for some reason if it was just the first punch he would of just got a yellow card?!

Totally unforgivable hitting a bloke when he is out cold. Should be sacked by Wigan and banned for life.

Truly shocking. Interesting that all the pundits think for some reason if it was just the first punch he would of just got a yellow card?!

Totally unforgivable hitting a bloke when he is out cold. Should be sacked by Wigan and banned for life.

interesting point, technically he is at work, if i knock someone out in work I would get sacked

Look at both players reactions.

Different blokes. If only...

Reading what the St Helens player had to say about it, I think his overriding emotion is that he was gutted he got knocked out, rather than being bitter about missing the rest of the final.

Definitely different blokes

Always amazed that the precedent set when Duncan Ferguson was jailed has never really been utilised.

Thuggery like that should come with jail time. excuses like, 'it's rugby' just don't wash either. What a vile man who clearly lacks self control.

on a side note, Up the Saints!!

Christ, I agree with you !!

Nurse ............ ?!

Hoihoia went in with his forearm, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for the first punch. The second was disgraceful though and the fact it was a grand final makes Flower a double moron

Agreed. He'd probably get away with a sin-binning for the first punch on the grounds of justified retaliation.

The second one was an absolute ****'s trick and he'll deserve whatever he gets by way of punishment.

Archived