IGNORED

City Books

wendyredredrobin

I read Chris Garlands autobiography a while ago now and enjoyed it.

Just wondering whether any other Ex City players have written one.  I think I read somewhere that Bobby Gould had written one, but that most of it was about his time at Coventry, Arsenal & Wolves.

My latest read was Paul Randall's - a Gashead I know, but I was interested as we were good mates at school.  Anyway, he's not the true Gashead he professes to be - the team he really loves is Liverpool.

Players with City connections who's autobiographies I have read are, Joe Royle, Norman Hunter, Joe Jordan, Chris Garland, Christian Roberts, Lee Trundle, Chris Garland, Shaun Goater. The best City related book I've ever read was the excellent Atyeo The Hero Next Door, if you have an interest in the history of the club then it's a must. Of the autobiographies I've read, then I'd say Chris Garland's and Christian Roberts are the best.

My latest read was Paul Randall's - a Gashead I know, but I was interested as we were good mates at school. Anyway, he's not the true Gashead he professes to be - the team he really loves is Liverpool.

Grew up with Pauls son, def right they all loved Liverpool more than anything, during Nick Tanners testimonial he played a half for Liverpool. Likes a drink but a great guy is Paul

David Woods has produced some great books, I have "The Modern Era" which has a season by season account with full stats eg Teams for each game and season appearances from 1967-2007.  It is a great reference book for the time that I have been a fan with some great photos.  I also have  "The Bristol Babe " which covers from the beginning of time until 1967.  He was once the official BCFC historian, not sure if he still has this position.

Good thread, I've started an Amazon list for Christmas.   :thumbsup:

I've read a couple recently , Perry Groves ...OK , Niall Quinn was good , check out Brian Clough as long as you don't kiss me and currently reading Clough Gold. The stories keep on coming , have to say the more I read about him the more I like him.

Not a City book or an autobiography but all football fans should read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. An absolutely superb book by a superb writer.

Is this a new book? I seem to remember getting this 10 / 12 years ago, but never got round to reading it......or am I getting them completely mixed up!?

Tony Adams book, addicted??????

If I'm correct was a brilliant read, not too unlike Paul Mersons book, full of stories of how they'd be up all night the night before a a game, playing drunk and hints of other substances etc.

That's my fav football book I've read so far - quite how the guy played to the level he did doing what he done in between games was unbelievable

That's my fav football book I've read so far - quite how the guy played to the level he did doing what he done in between games was unbelievable

I know, can you imagine being in the pub til 11am in the morning going straight to the ground and getting on the pitch, pi55ed out of your head and playing to that high standard.

People can say what to want about either player but IMHO both players were certainly as good as any other I've seen in their positions, how England could do with a Mersons or Adams now.

The best thing about Tony Adams is that he learnt by his mistakes and set up the charity a sporting chance, a charity that has served at least one or two ex City players, top man.

I know, can you imagine being in the pub til 11am in the morning going straight to the ground and getting on the pitch, pi55ed out of your head and playing to that high standard.

People can say what to want about either player but IMHO both players were certainly as good as any other I've seen in their positions, how England could do with a Mersons or Adams now.

The best thing about Tony Adams is that he learnt by his mistakes and set up the charity a sporting chance, a charity that has served at least one or two ex City players, top man.

Merson is a prize ******** in my opinion. If you think about the talent he had and then consider how good he could have been had they actually taken it seriously? It's an utter waste and a perfect illustration of why I don't tend to read footballers biographies. It's just an excuse for Merson to revise history so the text reads that he didn't piss his considerable talent up the wall

Merson is a prize ******** in my opinion. If you think about the talent he had and then consider how good he could have been had they actually taken it seriously? It's an utter waste and a perfect illustration of why I don't tend to read footballers biographies. It's just an excuse for Merson to revise history so the text reads that he didn't piss his considerable talent up the wall

Would agree with you about Merson, a real wasted talent

To be fair though, I should caveat my prior post by saying that he may well admit that he pissed is talent away, but I'm still not going to celebrate it!!!

I wonder if he looks back and wonders what might have been, or what a blast he had doing it? I think I can probably guess!

Archived