IGNORED

Watching As A Neutral

Aussie

A bit sad, but each to their own.

I recall a World Cup (perhaps European Championship?) match some years ago between Portugal and The Netherlands.

What a match.

Loads of goals and tremendous excitement all without caring who won.

Competitive International matches are a different matter.

Last game I can remember going to as a neutral with Leicester - Brentford, around 92/93 I would think

In the Bee's end with some mates, and a bloke starts chatting to me, for no reason at all, and tells me City are 0-3 down at Newcastle.....how random! Got a few mates who are Brentford fans, went a couple of times with them, always quite enjoyed....especially the games at Griffin Park, with all those pubs

Yes we lost 5-0 and we all got soaked. At Tamworth services on way back, we are all in the toilet when a City fan says "next game Dennis Smith will play the City's women's team. So then we will have eleven real ***** on the pitch".

This week in a pub in Mere, Wilts I met a Newcastle fan who was in the Gallowgate end for that game. Small world ain't it!

I'm sorry but nowadays football is a business as much as it is a sport, its a tough hard headed business - its a hard world Kermie.. Its tough but you won't last five minutes, you won't have a leg to stand on when that pryck face get started. Its a Hog Eats Frog World.

That's what Miss Piggy said, but that was a happy ending

I wouldn't have taken the ticket simply because I don't care who wins and without an interest in the game wouldn't have be arsed to go.

I do watch PL matches on Sky but only if one of my favourite teams/managers are involved. I didn't bother with the Stoke v Swansea game because I couldn't give a toss what the result would be but I did watch Liverpool beat QPR.

Sorry I'll correct you there. I believe you meant you watched QPR beat QPR .

The last 2 games I went to as a neutral were:

Bolton v Newcastle (c.2002) think Bolton won 4-3 a fantastic game and so nice not to have the stress of it all, even if the whole thing felt a bit plastic in that stadium.

and long before ...

Rovers v Villa (league cup I think c1993). The right result and had Gas girlfriend alongside.  OK, wasn't quite a neutral that day but it wasn't a City game.

I'd just go for the hell of it.

Yes we lost 5-0 and we all got soaked. At Tamworth services on way back, we are all in the toilet when a City fan says "next game Dennis Smith will play the City's women's team. So then we will have eleven real ***** on the pitch".

This week in a pub in Mere, Wilts I met a Newcastle fan who was in the Gallowgate end for that game. Small world ain't it!

Boy, didn't it rain that day! That is the other memory of the day, it was ******* miserable....the 0-5 didn't help!

Been to some good neutral games over the years , from watching games like Cardiff v Leeds to Crawley v the gas... Also been to a few random ones like west brom v Norwich , and coventry vs Gillingham... Plymouth v qpr , Carlisle c s****horpe ... Whenever you get the chance to go and watch live football take it, because at the end of the day you don't know when you'll next see city play them at their ground and you don't know what you're gonna get at the end of the day.. Which in the way is the whole fun of ground hopping!! Will always rate it

Reading through this thread I've remembered some more I've been to.

Was in the players lounge (at least I think it was it was a real dump) Ninian park for Cardiff Vs Chelsea FA cup 1986, not as exciting as I thought it would be. Just checked the score Cardiff won 2-1.

Another was West Brom for Micky Mellons debut , Vs Fulham (maybe) , bumped into Micky in the Williams stand next home game and he said we should have got in touch and he would have got us tickets. Nice bloke , good player.

Another one just came to mind. 

Reading Vs Notts County our promotion year and we needed County to  drop points. They went 1-0 up, and it was the same with about 5 mins to go. We decided as Reading had been rubbish, we would nip off a few minutes early. Needless to say , as we were in the car Reading equalised  and after traveling all that way we missed the moment we got promoted.  :facepalm: 

I watch attend football games as a neutral all the time. If I can't get to Swindon then I'll go to Ashton Gate or the Memorial and I'll venture beyond if anything interests me too.

When we moved to Bristol a couple of years ago it was pretty good because Swindon, City and Rovers were all in different divisions (which is on the cards again) so you were always watching different sides.

The Premier League games are almost always good.

The Championship is probably the level I've watched the most entertaining games.

League One is what it is. The 3rd Division.

League Two is terrible

Conference is good fun because of the gulf between the teams involved. For example, watching Rovers in the Vanarama is much more entertaining for the neutral compared to League Two.

You really can really note the differences in ability when you roam between the Tiers but what can I say? I enjoy it.

Reading through this thread I've remembered some more I've been to.

Was in the players lounge (at least I think it was it was a real dump) Ninian park for Cardiff Vs Chelsea FA cup 1986, not as exciting as I thought it would be. Just checked the score Cardiff won 2-1.

Another was West Brom for Micky Mellons debut , Vs Fulham (maybe) , bumped into Micky in the Williams stand next home game and he said we should have got in touch and he would have got us tickets. Nice bloke , good player.

Another one just came to mind. 

Reading Vs Notts County our promotion year and we needed County to  drop points. They went 1-0 up, and it was the same with about 5 mins to go. We decided as Reading had been rubbish, we would nip off a few minutes early. Needless to say , as we were in the car Reading equalised  and after traveling all that way we missed the moment we got promoted.  :facepalm: 

Reading - Notts Co, was this a night game? As I remember it I was watching the score on ceefax all night, copping a right bollocking from Mum for interrupting her programmes, Dad telling me to wait for the little block to appear in the top corner to tell us there was an update on the page, so there was no need to check every two minutes......got a right strop on and went off to my room with a couple of minutes to go before I heard Dad shout 'the block has come up', ran back in and saw that Reading had scored. I hate Reading, but for one minute I adored them

You're going to tell me now it was a Saturday game and I've just made all of that up, yeah?

Reading - Notts Co, was this a night game? As I remember it I was watching the score on ceefax all night, copping a right bollocking from Mum for interrupting her programmes, Dad telling me to wait for the little block to appear in the top corner to tell us there was an update on the page, so there was no need to check every two minutes......got a right strop on and went off to my room with a couple of minutes to go before I heard Dad shout 'the block has come up', ran back in and saw that Reading had scored. I hate Reading, but for one minute I adored them

You're going to tell me now it was a Saturday game and I've just made all of that up, yeah?

No , it was an evening game. I remember it was dark walking to the pub by that sh!thole of a ground (unless I have it completely wrong).

We were on the 'home end behind the goal, not sure the locals could make us out.

Just checked and if I have the dates right it was a Thursday.

No , it was an evening game. I remember it was dark walking to the pub by that sh!thole of a ground (unless I have it completely wrong).

We were on the 'home end behind the goal, not sure the locals could make us out.

Just checked and if I have the dates right it was a Thursday.

Ha, we can't both me wrong.....can we!?

Now you've said it, Thursday night rings a bell too

Archived