IGNORED

Our Man Flint

Between heaven and hell

Technically, I could have fathered the whole bloody team and Steve Cotterill too :(

As far as I know, I didn't :)

So technically (and I'm only talking technically) you are the father of Joe Bryan and Wes Burns and Dolly is the mother?  :w00t:

I am nearly 35. Wes Burns is 19, Joe Bryan is 21, so I am old enough to have technically have given birth to both of them, aged 14 (for Joe) and then aged 16 (for Wes)

Hence me feeling old at how old I am compared to some of our players. Geddit? :)

With Wilbs 35 on Tuesday and Elliott not 36 until December at least you are younger than two of our players! Tsk, you youngsters!

I've posted this thought before on another topic, but I think part of the difference in Flint is in what he's being asked to do this season.

O'Driscoll was all about getting the players to think for themselves, to decide what to do in each situation and to learn how to pick the best option. For an academy player with good technical ability that's absolutely the right approach. For a more "limited" (no offence to Flint but he's not Messi) player, thrust into the first team with only a couple of seasons league experience, it's a dangerous approach that can, and did, result in dithering, mistakes and calamitous own goals.

Cotterill, by contrast, seems to expect less thinking from his players (on Saturdays, in the first team, at this point in time at any rate) and more doing the simple thing or doing what he tells them to do from the sidelines. This is perfect for a player like Flint. He can concentrate on what he's good at. With the best will in the world he's never going to be a classy ball-playing centre half, but he can be a very good commanding "first ball" defender. Which is just what we need.

The difference is perfectly illustrated by the matches at Port Vale last season and this. In the last minute of last year's game, Flint received the ball, thought about what to do and opted, wrongly, to attempt a backpass to the keeper, not realising Lee Hughes was lurking to take advantage. This season, at the end of the game, he put his boot through the ball and got it as far away from City's penalty area as he could. A mistake by a Vale defender then led to a City goal. The difference between his decisions was quite literally the difference between conceding and scoring.

Long term we want to be looking at the O'Driscoll approach still. We want players who can play and who are intelligent enough to know the right option to pick. The clever part is knowing which players are suitable for that approach and which aren't.

I think you are right Dan. And Flint is evolving into making his own decisions through playing and seeing what works and what doesn't in certain situations, he is becoming that player that SoD wanted but there needed to be some no nonsense instruction first.

I've posted this thought before on another topic, but I think part of the difference in Flint is in what he's being asked to do this season.

O'Driscoll was all about getting the players to think for themselves, to decide what to do in each situation and to learn how to pick the best option. For an academy player with good technical ability that's absolutely the right approach. For a more "limited" (no offence to Flint but he's not Messi) player, thrust into the first team with only a couple of seasons league experience, it's a dangerous approach that can, and did, result in dithering, mistakes and calamitous own goals.

Cotterill, by contrast, seems to expect less thinking from his players (on Saturdays, in the first team, at this point in time at any rate) and more doing the simple thing or doing what he tells them to do from the sidelines. This is perfect for a player like Flint. He can concentrate on what he's good at. With the best will in the world he's never going to be a classy ball-playing centre half, but he can be a very good commanding "first ball" defender. Which is just what we need.

The difference is perfectly illustrated by the matches at Port Vale last season and this. In the last minute of last year's game, Flint received the ball, thought about what to do and opted, wrongly, to attempt a backpass to the keeper, not realising Lee Hughes was lurking to take advantage. This season, at the end of the game, he put his boot through the ball and got it as far away from City's penalty area as he could. A mistake by a Vale defender then led to a City goal. The difference between his decisions was quite literally the difference between conceding and scoring.

Long term we want to be looking at the O'Driscoll approach still. We want players who can play and who are intelligent enough to know the right option to pick. The clever part is knowing which players are suitable for that approach and which aren't.

Oh dear.

So your thesis is that O'Driscoll was intelligent, but all the players he brought in were thick? That would make him a bit thick too.

For all the SOD flannel about players needing to think for themselves, that is the case under any manager. We pick up points this season because players have been adapting on field and pressurising the weak spots. The difference now is that they are playing with confidence. Flint last season had no confidence in the men around him and it showed. You get terrified of doing the wrong thing and it becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. The quality SC has brought in, and the belief he has instilled in the side allows them to relax and enjoy their football. Morale on and off field has never been better. The players have bonded.And that battling spirit is worth an extra goal a game probably.

Oh dear.

So your thesis is that O'Driscoll was intelligent, but all the players he brought in were thick? That would make him a bit thick too.

For all the SOD flannel about players needing to think for themselves, that is the case under any manager. We pick up points this season because players have been adapting on field and pressurising the weak spots. The difference now is that they are playing with confidence. Flint last season had no confidence in the men around him and it showed. You get terrified of doing the wrong thing and it becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. The quality SC has brought in, and the belief he has instilled in the side allows them to relax and enjoy their football. Morale on and off field has never been better. The players have bonded.And that battling spirit is worth an extra goal a game probably.

Actually, Red-Robbo, I do think that SOD was/is intelligent, but have read nowhere that the players he brought in (and/or inherited) were 'thick'.

I also believe that belief/confidence, whether natural or instilled in a player by the manager (and this is perhaps one area in which SOD fell short), is extremely important and, of course, enables players to relax and play to the best of their abilities; both enjoying themselves and not needing to worry about making a mistake and being criticised by the manager, teammates and the crowd - it should not be overlooked either that success brings confidence with it.

Nevertheless, some players are confident and natural 'ball players' - a 'classy ball-playing centre half' like Luke Ayling, perhaps, or 'very good commanding "first ball" defenders' like Flint.

I believe that City are fortunate to have both at the moment, hence their current success.

Actually, Red-Robbo, I do think that SOD was/is intelligent, but have read nowhere that the players he brought in (and/or inherited) were 'thick'.

I also believe that belief/confidence, whether natural or instilled in a player by the manager (and this is perhaps one area in which SOD fell short), is extremely important and, of course, enables players to relax and play to the best of their abilities; both enjoying themselves and not needing to worry about making a mistake and being criticised by the manager, teammates and the crowd - it should not be overlooked either that success brings confidence with it.

Fell short on?!  He was staring up from the bottom of a 1,000ft crevasse.

The fact is all players get their instructions before a game, but then have to think for themselves during play. The idea that SOD somehow coaches professionals to take those decisions better than other managers is belied by the observation that his teams here were committing very, very basic errors.

I think you've taken something and turned it on its head a little.

Now I am probably not the best to judge as I only seen a handful of games last season, and only a couple this due to my own playing commitments, but from what I've seen, heard, read Dan's comments seem accurate.

If you take a "head and kick" type defender and ask him to overplay, or put an emphasis on keeping the ball down etc as SOD tried to do (not that that was necessarily a bad way to play) then you will get mistakes. SOD was asking Flint to play in a way he probably didn't find natural, especially having come from non-league.

It seems now that Flint is being given a more simplified role and he is a lot more comfortable.

No, that's overthinking it.  He looked poor last season because he wasn't confident in the team around him and wasn't inspired by the manger. All IMO obviously, but the improvement - as with most of the squad - was pretty instant after SOD's dismissal.

I don't think that he struggled because SOD told him to do things that he wasn't comfortable with. Let's face it, his role for the first part of last season was confined to lumping it up to a 5ft 7 "target man".

We now look mainly to play the ball out of defence, keeping possession, and Flint is as much of that as Williams and Ayling. Obviously, as the central bloc of a three-man defence, he's not going to be dribbling the ball 2/3 of the way up the pitch, but there's much more to his game than "head and kick".

Perhaps the ironic thing in this is that he's playing in the way SOD said he wanted the defence to play now. It never happened under the mumbler.

Archived