IGNORED

Interesting Comments From Lj Ahead Of Saturday

allyolly

I thought that was a gryphon?

Or a wyvern? No, I think it's the Saxon dragon, but I'm sure there's someone better informed that I on the forum (other than Horace, obviously).

PS Half right according to Wikipedia. The symbol of Somerset is a red dragon but the wyvern is the symbol of Wessex. The motto of Somerset is Sumors?te ealle - the only Anglo Saxon county motto.

Absolute simpleton.

We can all agree or disagree about his abilities on the field, but he was always a credit to the club and conducted himself in a good manner. It is absolutely typical to give warm applause to someone who behaves in such a way and is in no way direspectful.

As you went to the point of 'respect to our current Manager' initially, did you see the reception Cotts got at Cheltenham. Do you think Mark Yates found that disrespectful or do you think he believed the supporters conducted themself in a respectful manner.

No-one is suggesting hyperbole, just warm applause, maybe a quick chant when he walks out, ignore him for 90 minutes unless the game goes a particular way in which a smittering of banter may be appropriate, and warm applause again as he leaves the field.

When they're 3-0 down we could sing "one Lee Johnson ..."!

All of what you have said is true...but everything you mention in your second paragraph is and continues to happen with LJ...it's a relationship that is closer than most know. As it is too with his father still.

I'm not a betting man...but I've put money on LJ being a manager for us in the future, at a Bookies and got decent odds...just from what I know.

It's a strong and healthy and respectful relationship.

I'm not a betting man..... (I BET YOU A FIVER YOU ARE! )....but I've put money on LJ being a manager for us in the future, at a bookies and got decent odds...

(& they say there's no such thing as a dead cert! ... :) ... chuck my winnings in a charity pot of your choice Spudski, cheers mate)

OMG this is true just as I was typing 'cheers mate' above a money spider came down on a thread web and settled on my chest... its now crawling around the edge of my tablet... Spooky or what? given today's date happy Halloween everyone!! ...Blige, winning a bet, money spider, cobweb and Halloween all in one post spiders just disappeared as well now. Hmm.

Or a wyvern? No, I think it's the Saxon dragon, but I'm sure there's someone better informed that I on the forum (other than Horace, obviously).

PS Half right according to Wikipedia. The symbol of Somerset is a red dragon but the wyvern is the symbol of Wessex. The motto of Somerset is Sumors?te ealle - the only Anglo Saxon county motto.

No, you are right it is a dragon.  Not sure where I got gryphon from.

"We want to go and slay the dragon" says our old mate Lee when asked about facing the league leaders!

Not only that, he thinks its important to do it on behalf of every team in the league.

A chip off the old block when it comes to media soundbites!

Fighting talk from a bloke who spent half his playing career shying away from challenges!

I've never understood this way of thinking...

He pulled on a City shirt and played to the best of his ability.

Why would you not applaud him...?

I can guarantee, SC would think you a right numb nuts for not applauding him.

What he has done at Oldham is nothing short of spectacular.

The board and SL will shake his hand...so will SC...they will sit and talk, and roll there eyes at fans who have such a churlish immature attitude.

Show some respect and maturity...he's a top lad going about his job in a mature manner...unlike many of his age in football.

As ever, spot on Spud. 

I try as hard as poss to not get on City players' backs, no matter how they're playing/what they're doing. I'll save that, if I can, for the pub, where, hopefully, it won't affect their game. Yes, I've paid my money and can say what I want (within reason, they stews are a bit cranky, inn't they?) but I'm pretty sure having a (consistent) pop at someone in a red shirt (purple...white...black...) won't help and that, as a supporter, is what I am there for - to help the team as that results in me being happy.

It's not easy, football's so emotional and, nowadays, overwrought with tension owing to the money available on offer as you climb the leagues, but no-one goes out to play badly. Not even Gus Caesar did. 

I bumped into Lee Johnson on Park St once, with his baby in a pram. Really nice bloke, stopped to have a long chat, was very complimentary about the City and the city (as he evidently was to Korey Smith before he joined us - no mean feat given the stick he took here).

Even without that personal incident, I wouldn't give him the bird upon his return, or give him, indeed, anything less than a warm welcome.

Funny, no matter how hard we might find fault with his 'sideways passing', relationship to his father (so much to blame him for!) and lack of tackling etc etc...he was an integral part of the most successful period in our history for 30 years. You can't say he wasn't integral - central midfield and not integral? He wasn't an in-and-out of it winger. 

I for one, shall applaud him at 3pm.

And then give his team dog's abuse, foaming at me mouth, teeth gnashing and grinding, spit fountains overflowing from me gob in the Williams...

Only joking.

Unless they beat us.

No, seriously, only joking.

Unless they beat us with a last-minute, offside winner (with a bit of handball).

Only... you get the idea.

Really?

I thought he was an honest hardworking pro who played to his strengths.

So did I, but one of those strengths was not tackling and the number of physical challenges he bottled, particularly in his early days here. was astounding. Beefed up a tad towards the end, admittedly.

He was a cultured passer of the ball, and always seemed a bright lad in his interviews, but let's not put on rose-tinteds...

It's written in the stars isn't it? LJ gets the last laugh for the abuse he received here as a player by ending our streak...

I'm not sure it is!

I hope LJ gets a magnificent reception for being part of the best City team since the 70's. However I think its written in the stars City will wake up to the fact PNE are only two points behind and go and get the three points! 

COYR

All of what you have said is true...but everything you mention in your second paragraph is and continues to happen with LJ...it's a relationship that is closer than most know. As it is too with his father still.

I'm not a betting man...but I've put money on LJ being a manager for us in the future, at a Bookies and got decent odds...just from what I know.

Lee Johnson may have a 30 year managerial career ahead of him, so if the bet really is to manage us at 'sometime in the future' then there must be a good chance.

I'm sure he has been earmarked by SL as one to keep an eye on, and if circumstances permit - i.e. City's fortunes improve and LJ proves himself over a reasonably long period to be someone capable of managing higher up - then who knows, it may happen.

In the same way as I believe he has earmarked Alex Russell, possibly Cole Skuse, Louis Carey ( OK, he doesn't look good managerial material, the post match interviews would be interminable, but if he gets his badges and makes his mark lower down, you can bet his name will crop up in the boardroom sometime in the future.)

Likewise the well spoken and intelligent Wade Elliot may well move seamlessly on to the City coaching staff at the end of this or next season and become Cotts. no.2. In which case he may be in the mix by the time Cotts. moves on.

Perhaps Aden Flint will have such a colossal career at City that in10 years time he is viewed as a certain future City manager. Maybe the mature and unflappable Aaron Wilbraham is impressing SL and the other directors right now more than LJ ever did?

It seems LJ has, and continues to, impress the City heirarchy. So have others, and as time moves on there will be others still who are noted with similar enthusiasm. Which, if any, go on to actually manage City at some time in the future depends on so many factors, not least of which is timing, and who is available and doing well ( but not TOO well) at a time we are looking, and the position the club is in at the time determining what sort of manager is required.

Maybe LJ will be the right fit at sometime in the future, but there are a myriad of other possibilities which will increase over time. That's also assuming you believe in the first place that it's a good thing for former player to manage the club, a scenario that we know all too well often doesn't work out, and something SL may favour less these days.

My own thoughts on LJ is there seems a real possibility he will manage City straight after Cotts., if that's not too soon, if he's progressed his reputation for the next few years - but not so much that he's already moved up the managerial ladder - or you'll lose your bet.

Was the bookie offering any odds on his backroom staff? Older more experienced assistant maybe? How about the chief scout?

Nogbad the Bad, on 31 Oct 2014 - 4:40 PM, said:

Lee Johnson may have a 30 year managerial career ahead of him, so if the bet really is to manage us at 'sometime in the future' then there must be a good chance.

I'm sure he has been earmarked by SL as one to keep an eye on, and if circumstances permit - i.e. City's fortunes improve and LJ proves himself over a reasonably long period to be someone capable of managing higher up - then who knows, it may happen.

In the same way as I believe he has earmarked Alex Russell, possibly Cole Skuse, Louis Carey ( OK, he doesn't look good managerial material, the post match interviews would be interminable, but if he gets his badges and makes his mark lower down, you can bet his name will crop up in the boardroom sometime in the future.)

Likewise the well spoken and intelligent Wade Elliot may well move seamlessly on to the City coaching staff at the end of this or next season and become Cotts. no.2. In which case he may be in the mix by the time Cotts. moves on.

Perhaps Aden Flint will have such a colossal career at City that in10 years time he is viewed as a certain future City manager. Maybe the mature and unflappable Aaron Wilbraham is impressing SL and the other directors right now more than LJ ever did?

It seems LJ has, and continues to, impress the City heirarchy. So have others, and as time moves on there will be others still who are noted with similar enthusiasm. Which, if any, go on to actually manage City at some time in the future depends on so many factors, not least of which is timing, and who is available and doing well ( but not TOO well) at a time we are looking, and the position the club is in at the time determining what sort of manager is required.

Maybe LJ will be the right fit at sometime in the future, but there are a myriad of other possibilities which will increase over time. That's also assuming you believe in the first place that it's a good thing for former player to manage the club, a scenario that we know all too well often doesn't work out, and something SL may favour less these days.

My own thoughts on LJ is there seems a real possibility he will manage City straight after Cotts., if that's not too soon, if he's progressed his reputation for the next few years - but not so much that he's already moved up the managerial ladder - or you'll lose your bet.

One of the biggest things that will influence who manages City in the future...is the relationship between the Board, SL and the prospective manager.

There are owners and Boards that like to allow a manager to get on with it, even if they don't like him.

Our lot like to get on with the manager and are easily irked. Even SC pissed off a few at the helm when he first came here.

Believe it or not... SC is like Marmite amongst a lot of people in the game. Some loath him...some like him.

A working relationship that is harmonious is paramount first and foremost.

It was a rhetorical question really but Google helps! ;-) Ha ha

Look at the timestamps! If you think I can read a post, fiddle with Google and type a reply in under two minutes, all on my Android phone, you overestimate my manual dexterity...

Perhaps Aden Flint will have such a colossal career at City that in10 years time he is viewed as a future City manager

This is as a mad a limb I've ever known you go out on.

Not saying Aden isn't future management material, but then neither is Albert by the same logic.

Bet I could get odds of 2000/1 on it.

This is as a mad a limb I've ever known you go out on.

Not saying Aden isn't future management material, but then neither is Albert by the same logic.

Bet I could get odds of 2000/1 on it.

Not as maniacal a limb to go out on, surely, as someone posting on OTIB even 5 years ago that Lee Johnson would be being touted as a potential managerial candidate for BCFC in 2014?

I can't imagine even the most rabid poster entertaining such a ridiculous thought, but look at the forum today.

Flint possibly being coveted as a future City manager in 10 years seems more than conceivable to me in comparison.

After Wade and Wilbs. have given it their best shot, of course. ;)

Archived