IGNORED

I Don't Miss Them At All

fatman

From a business perspective yeah the comments make sense but I would never want to hear them from a city fan..

Derbies like the manc one happen twice a year but the Bristol one doesn't which for me makes it a much bigger deal. I think this is the case for the majority of fans which showed during last years JPT sell out.

Also, despite the recent fall of the gas the derbies are still competitive; lets be honest we didn't walk all over them last year.. they'll come back up eventually and I'm sure we'll have more competitive derbies in the future to enjoy, hopefully with less violence.

We may not have walked all over them but we were very comfortable and they only threatened a few times, and this was while we were still managed by Sod

From a business perspective yeah the comments make sense but I would never want to hear them from a city fan..

Why on earth not?? Do you think Stoke fans give two hoots about Port Vale...........they haven't played each other since 2002, I'm sure their fans are not secretly wishing they could play them again

Like Stoke and Port Vale, City and Rovers have moved in opposite directions over the past 10 years and out current trajectory appears to be upwards.......if any of our fans are that fussed about a derby, they either have to accept we start heading down the leagues or perversely, hope rovers have an amazing 2/3 years. Not me, I'm more than happy to leave them behind

Derbies like the manc one happen twice a year but the Bristol one doesn't which for me makes it a much bigger deal. I think this is the case for the majority of fans which showed during last years JPT sell out.

Of course there was interest in that game.......we hadn't played them for 6 years! That doesn't mean the majority of fans want to see it every year.....more of a case of its a Bristol Derby, turn up for the occasion, beat them, not see them again for x years

Also, despite the recent fall of the gas the derbies are still competitive; lets be honest we didn't walk all over them last year.. they'll come back up eventually and I'm sure we'll have more competitive derbies in the future to enjoy, hopefully with less violence.

Second half was more equal but first half we absolutley phissed it and should have been out of sight. I remember texting my gashead brother telling him this was embarressing!

Why any City fan would almost wish them success so that we could play them in a derby is beyond me

AS for not supporting the world cup bid , thats a load of poinrless drivel... England were never going to win the Bid and it was used to try and push through AV the timing was not a coincidence and was well thought out by Lansdown

The FA were led to believe by FIFA,that to bid and get a World Cup you had to use grounds in all areas of the country.

AV had nothing to do with any coincidence's,it was us and Plymouth putting our hands up and saying bring the WC to the West Country.

Your club were not interested in supporting us,other clubs in the area were.

SL has every right to not like you lot ;)

If one does not put oneself in the line of fire sir then one is not, truly, a man but rather a boy.

Yes, I agree - I should 'man-up'.

But then again, the bitter taste of defeat is never quite so bitter if like you I was watching the  result from your current location in Indonesia/Phillipines/Cuba.

It's a little bit different when you attend the game and have several thousand sags in front of you singing their Irene drivel and thinking they've just won the Champions League.

That,sir, is the real line of fire.

A football fan that doesn't enjoy a derby isn't a proper fan.

Lovely to see them in the doldrums but should we ever meet again I for one will enjoy the occasion.

I hope he is speaking purely a businessman and not a fan.

These are not proper Derby games. A few hundred morons who think we are still in the 1970s terrorise the locale and try to smash up Ashton Gate. Then eleven morons managed by an uber moron can't understand that the green stuff is for playing football on and then spend 90 minutes trying to cripple our players.

I haven't seen an exciting Derby since the win on Sky a decade or more ago. Even then their imbecile fans caused a load of trouble and damage.

Plus they blame us for a rainy day.

I'm with SL - **** them and hope we never have to play their festering team again.

I think he must be talking as a businessman / owner. From his point of view it must be frustrating and heartbreaking to see your club play them then have months and months of grief afterwards. You build up your clubs good name, get a good reputation on and off the pitch then it all falls flat on it's face because of a few bad apples in both sets of fans. The media can't wait to report any sniff of trouble and it all reflects back on the club, whoever was right or wrong.

Yup as a fan the City v Gas Derby's have an edge, have a meaning, although much less in the past decade or so. But in Steve's shoes there must be much more enjoyable matches against other teams.

I actually think he's thinking bigger picture/long term.

He wants us in the Championship or beyond playing big clubs playing in big games, in a nice stadium with good revenue.

Whether we like it or not, getting on TV in a JPT game and seeing pitch invasions, police horses on the field for two lower league clubs battling their local differences is friggen embarrassing for him and a lot of us.

I see much bigger things for this club.

what was the question that led to the reply? can only guess it was about the possible meeting via the fa cup draw ?

Most Fans love a derby (i love the build up and the atmosphere but the nerves arent great for the heart) but can see SL's point if it regards the worry about trouble , the huge chance of poor publicity for the clubs from incidents both on and off the pitch, the costs involved (repairs to stadium from your lot ripping down advertising hoardings to our lot breaking seats) it must be a nightmare of red tape and organisation.

AS for not supporting the world cup bid , thats a load of poinrless drivel... England were never going to win the Bid and it was used to try and push through AV the timing was not a coincidence and was well thought out by Lansdown but in the same way City wouldnt support there rivals in a bid Rovers were never going to offically support a new stadium for city especially when battling for there own new stadium.

Personally i backed the Planing permission for AV but neither club wouyld ever give public backing to the other over something like this and why fans get there backs up about this i never know? its Business

would Aldi support the building of a new lidl ?

Sadly for Mr Lansdown history suggests we will indeed play each other again (albeit only in a cup for the forseable future) ... but of course SL doesnt want to play Rovers again anytime soon as it will mean a huge rise in fortunes for us at the gas or a big fall for his club and a waste of another load of his cash)

Englands bid for the world cup was known to be the best bid put forward. There was a very concerted effort from all at the FA and government backing. Unfortunately the underhand bidding process with brown envelopes used by the winning bidders, was not taken into account because, we English thought by following the criteria set down by FIFA, we had the best chance of winning. Unfortunately, you people in the know could have saved everybody a lot of wasted time and money by letting everybody concerned with the bidding process, that it was going to be a futile effort. Oh for the benefit of hindsight and a smug comment.

Your spiteful little club was the only sporting concern in the whole area not to support Bristols bid. Various past players and managers of BRFC were wheeled out by the Evening post in support of Bristols bid to cover up that strange stance. Obviously the more enlightened Rovers supporters joined in as they new it would be good for the whole city, with spin offs for numerous venues, including Rovers and their ground. But hey! we wouldn't want to benefit the city of Bristol, because they never found us the land for a new ground and they've been against us all along in our efforts to get a new ground, by refusing several planning  applications, even though none were actually submitted. One was even in South GLos, but it's all Bristols fault so we're not supporting the bid.

There's no doubt BCFC used the WC bid to promote the stadium, it would have been stupid not to but, the world cup bid was submitted after the plans for the new stadium  came to fruition. If there were no plans for the stadium then there's no point bidding. It was a legitmate bid and as such had to be promoted.

Could you please explain how history suggests that we'll play each other again, unless you're referring to a game of chance by getting a cup draw, somewhat like Paulton did against Norwich a few years ago. Perhaps your relying on your ability to see into the future (like with hindsight and the WC bid), of course with that ability you could have predicted the end of last seasons results and invited even more City fans to witness your clubs demise from the away supporters tump, at the rugby ground.

I think he has a point, we will only progress as a club if we set our sights higher than the parochial issue of whether we are the biggest club in what has historically been a footballing backwater. Whilst it has been fun to take the mickey out of their current predicament in the NLBR thread, it is gradually becoming less important as the season rolls on. 

I struggle to see a future where they will be back on the same level as us if they continue to chase unattainable dreams and our current development continues, I am talking about the club, youth set up, grounds and so on, rather than our current league positions. 

Spot on! Start planning to meet the ****** sheep sheep shaggers again...Let the Blue Two fade into the sunset...

I started watching City in 1966 and didn't see a league derby until 1974. I don't think I had a deprived childhood through the lack of playing NLBR.

Likewise kids who started supporting the City in 2002 haven't missed anything special either.

I'd be delighted if we never play them again.

I'd be more interested in a Bristol derby if i was a Gashead .

We've got nothing to proove against them .

Pretty much my view.

The constant gap means meetings are becoming scarcer and eventually will have no more significance than if Orient met Spurs in the cup.

I'd be more interested in a Bristol derby if i was a Gashead .

We've got nothing to proove against them .

Spot on.

I hope we meet so infrequently going forward that we forget they exist.

More a Bradford/Bradford Park Ave situation than Man U/Man City for me. Have little interest in local non-league football.

I hope we never play gem again.

We have nothing to prove, we have everything to lose.

Bristol as a FOOTBALLING CITY is not big enough for 2 teams, the sooner they cement their place in history by going out of business the better for Bristol, the better for Bristol City and the better for the poor Chinese children who go blind every year from sewing together those revolting, eye crossing blue quartered pieces of polyester. Think of the kids, the poor Chinese kids.......

This town ain't big enough for the two of us......

Steve Lansdown quoted in the Sun.

I don't miss them at all.

If we don't ever play R@@@@s again I'd be happy.

With police bills and all the issues that go with it, it's not worth the hassle.

Amen Steve, Amen.

Amen indeed. Playing them in any other form except FA cup or League cup (assuming they regain league status) ties would be failure for BCFC as it is clear BRFC are in a slump of biblical proportions and without Sainsbury to bail them out could be close to insolvency within a couple of years. Reading between the lines SL is making it clear he will not be a White Knight for BRFC.

And who decided that?

I've been going since the mid 60's, consider myself a football fan, and totally agree with SL.

PSR has the right idea, that we need to set our sights higher than what is a "parochial" issue.

Exactly. Cardiff are the local derby we should aim at. My personal sights are set on League games with Liverpool and Arsenal in my life time and to be frank I didn't miss the gas not one bit in the late 70's.

He's talking as someone who was very pissed off that R*vers didn't show any kind of support for Ashton Vale when we were promoting it as a potential venue for the World Cup. And by all accounts when Higgs came to AG last time around he acted like an arrogant clown (surprise, surprise). There is clearly no love lost between SL and R*vers and he has past form on slagging them off - "no-one will talk about Bristol Rovers anymore" after their relegation to L2 I recall...

Yes to both. He stated at the End of Season bash a few years ago that he was hugely disappointed in the attitude of BRFC toward AV the World Cup and our attempt to make Bristol a venue.

Crapdiff will be our main derby rivals. Not the Sad Sags, Swindle, Muff, Yeovie, Excreta, & Torquay.

Whatever happens, inshallah, we will never play the mobile Tesco's bags ever again, saving City hundreds of thousands of pounds on policing costs everytime we play those raggedy assed pikey *****.

Archived