IGNORED

England Squad

Welcome To The Jungle

Good to see Berahino in the squad but the likes of Smalling should be no where near. Also Lambert, Townsend and Walcott have hardly played lately. 

Fairly disgraceful that there are more Manchester United players than West Ham and Southampton combined. 

Out of curiousity, which English players from West Ham and Southampton have not been called up but should have been?

Good to see Berahino in the squad but the likes of Smalling should be no where near. Also Lambert, Townsend and Walcott have hardly played lately.

Fairly disgraceful that there are more Manchester United players than West Ham and Southampton combined.

its a sign of where we are when we have to wheel out players returning from injury who haven't really played to get up some form! And we are still picking players who aren't in form! Grrrr

Who would you have from those clubs? Not many from those clubs are obvious picks at all. I personally find it really poor that Downing is back in the squad. Embarrassing in fact. Few half decent games for the first time in years and he's suddenly worth a shout? No wonder why we won't ever go anywhere.

Carrick is a very underrated player and could still do a job at 33. Lacks caps because previous managers, including Hodgson, have favoured Lampard and Gerrard, refusing to budge them.

Why Townsend gets picked I don't know, considering he rarely plays for Spurs. Similarly to Lambert at Liverpool, but who else is there?!

Smalling's inclusion is a joke but who else is there? Stones would be if not for injury and Caulker's form has been poor. Dier maybe?

It's nice to have Walcott back but he's been injured for such a long time; how effective will he be?

Berahino deserves his chance, as does Downing - albeit a second one. He's improved a hell of a lot since the tail end of January. If Austin wasn't playing for QPR would he be picked? Quite possibly. Might end up as another Michael Ricketts or David Nugent though.

As for Mark Noble, he's been unlucky to not have been picked in previous seasons. Especially as Delph and Shelvey have now been given a go.

My 11 out of the squad would be:

Hart

Clyne Jagielka Cahill Baines

Carrick Henderson

Ox Rooney. Sterling

Welbeck

How Shawcross isn't at least getting a sniff is a mystery.

Not really. It's football, not rugby. Defensive he has played well for a long time but his style and antics simply won't wash at international level. Unless he changes his ways he would be a liability, just like he was when he was given a chance against Sweden.

Not really. It's football, not rugby. Defensive he has played well for a long time but his style and antics simply won't wash at international level. Unless he changes his ways he would be a liability, just like he was when he was given a chance against Sweden.

Unlike Chris Smalling who is a football genius? Look at the competition.

Looking at that list of players gets me about as excited as the thought of having to wash the dishes, tidy my paperwork, pay some bills and wait the inexorable wait for the next City match to come along... yes.. all of those combined.

The last time I got excited about watching England was Italia 90. Since then we have been on an inexorable decline and it continues. No doubt we will qualify for most of the Euros and Splatter Cups but thats only because we have at least two minnows in the group and because the players, irregardless (yes that was a word back in the 1700's and I want it back cos i like it) of their stratospherically grotesque and undeserved wages, actually do get motivated by reaching a finals only to then miserably fail.

I think Smalling should change his name by the way; it is such a de-motivational word.. little wonder he continues to fail at international level.

Downing has been picked on merit he's have a great season,

Thats what a manager should do pick the players on form not who they play for,

Who else who plays on the left has been performing better then downing at the moment?

That's precisely what a manager shouldn't do. Every time someone has a few good games (especially if they're young) the clamour is enormous to give them a go, then they get a go, lose a bit of form and get dropped for the next flash-in-the-pan. We should be identifying a group of 25-30 players, picking only from them and where there's an injury crisis, temporarily move people up from u21s. The likes of Germany and Spain move players up the age groups at the end if cycles, providing continuity. They also receive much better coaching but that's another issue. I'm not against a player being given a chance because they've shown sustained form, but Downing (who incidentally hasn't played a single game " on the left" all season) has been decent for a few months and very good for a few weeks. For me, that is not an excuse to call up a 30 year old who has frankly looked shit for most of the last 3 or 4 seasons

That's precisely what a manager shouldn't do. Every time someone has a few good games (especially if they're young) the clamour is enormous to give them a go, then they get a go, lose a bit of form and get dropped for the next flash-in-the-pan. We should be identifying a group of 25-30 players, picking only from them and where there's an injury crisis, temporarily move people up from u21s. The likes of Germany and Spain move players up the age groups at the end if cycles, providing continuity. They also receive much better coaching but that's another issue. I'm not against a player being given a chance because they've shown sustained form, but Downing (who incidentally hasn't played a single game " on the left" all season) has been decent for a few months and very good for a few weeks. For me, that is not an excuse to call up a 30 year old who has frankly looked shit for most of the last 3 or 4 seasons

Agree. The whole pick the form players is far too narrow minded. For instance if Cahill was having a very bad season but the likes of Smalling & Jones were playing the best football of their careers consistently would people want Cahill replaced?

Form also got call ups for the likes of Michael Ricketts. It's a completely short sighted view.

Agree on Downing. For starters he hasn't played a game on the left all season. He has been used at the top of a diamond or centrally. With the likes of Sterling, Barkley, Lallana able to play in that role & wide it's literally one of the most pointless England call ups I've seen in a while. 30 years old and has played half decent for the first time in years and it warrants a call up? Joke. We need to look to the future and players more deserving of a chance. Baring in mind this bloke has had more than enough chances for England and has done sod all. Not to mention is non existent club form for years.

Archived