IGNORED

Time For The Pitch To Come Good

Welcome To The Jungle

Tonight was the worst rain I have seen in a long time during a match at Ashton Gate. In fact it reminded me of the near tropical rain we saw when living in Portugal.

The force of the first half rain forced the ground staff to remark the two goal lines and both 25 metre lines.

The pitch was fine. No puddles so superb drainage and at the end of the match, it was difficult to see that a game with thirty big lads had taken place.

Obviously if rain like tonight continued for some time (weeks) then we may well see some wear. But so far so good.

PS. The puddles inthe appropriately named Duckmoor Road after the game were very large!

i expected the pitch to hold up. After all it been used for rugby and football in several other stadiums and it cost many thousands of pounds. It's Desso grass ffs!. It was laid by professional blokes who know exactly what they're doing.

I wasn't worried at all.

i expected the pitch to hold up. After all it been used for rugby and football in several other stadiums and it cost many thousands of pounds. It's Desso grass ffs!. It was laid by professional blokes who know exactly what they're doing.

I wasn't worried at all.

This. When you pay what was it...just over a million for a state of the art pitch, you expect it to hold up no matter what.

This. When you pay what was it...just over a million for a state of the art pitch, you expect it to hold up no matter what.

Exactly. As Robbored said, this is precisely what all that money was splashed out for. Other Desso pitches around the country have been laid in order to make it possible for both sports to utilise the same surface and still have a stadium in which good, passing football can be played. Experience elsewhere has shown that can be done quite successfully, so BS knew what they'd be getting for their money: it does what it says on the tin. 

I am first and foremost a BCFC man - always have been and always will be - but like SL, I would love to see Bristol finally put on the sporting map in this country (it's about bloody time for a city of this size) and so now rugby is played at AG I will go along and support them now and again. Like a number of others on this thread, I was there last night and can confirm that the conditions were as atrocious as anything you'll see. A succession of torrential downpours at about ten-minute intervals, rain hammering down on the Williams Stand roof, and at the end the pitch was still more or less immaculate; no gouges from huge blokes sliding in long studs and no surface water whatsoever. At a push, you could have played a game of football on it straight afterwards.

I hope this will help the two sets of fans to overcome any initial, mutual suspicion and co-exist cordially. The rugby lot seem a perfectly decent bunch to me. I personally would take great pleasure in seeing the season conclude with both teams achieving promotion in their respective sports, and the developing modern stadium hosting Premiership rugby next year along with Championship football. It would certainly leave no room for doubt as the where the heart of Bristol sport now resides. 

Was chatting to Tomarse about the pitch at the Millenium Stadium earlier. Wales are playing the first game on it since it was laid in the summer.

Believe it or not it's a Desso. If you get chance, watch the highlights of the Wales v Oz game. Pitch is the same age as ours but Blige, it's a shocker.

Wembley and the Millenium need to get more light on their grass!

I wasn't worried at all.

You seen the Majeski  thats the same kind of surface

I have seen it but it's eons old which is partly why it looks so tatty. The Desso pitch at AG is state of the art and brand spanking new. Craig Richardson will have learnt all the maintanence skills and it'll last indefinately with him and staff looking after it.

Archived