IGNORED

England V New Zealand

kiwicolin

Quite bizarre. Haskell has played really well this season and has deserved his recall to the international set up but we've been down the road of putting him at 8 before and it hasn't worked because he isn't a number 8!!!

Ben Morgan was outstanding Saturday. Hope Lancaster isn't using the 'impact from the bench' tag with him.

Yeah Haskell is a good player but I don't think he's international class

I personally think that Morgan should be starting- he offers more control and has better technical ability than Billy, who could then be brought on for a rumble last 20 minutes

England team in full: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Anthony Watson (Bath), Brad Barritt (Saracens), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester), George Ford (Bath), Ben Youngs (Leicester), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Rob Webber (Bath), David Wilson (Bath), Dave Attwood (Bath), Courtney Lawes (Northampton), James Haskell (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, captain), Ben Morgan (Gloucester).

Replacements: Dylan Hartley (Northampton), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle), George Kruis (Saracens), Tom Wood (Northampton), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester), Marland Yarde (Harlequins).

I agree with you guys about Haskell but Wood really isn't playing well and this is the game that England should be using to look at other combinations. I might have been tempted to put 36 in but long term England should be looking to have Ford at stand off but keep Farrell involved for his goal kicking. I'd have been tempted to give Kruis a start because I thought Attwood was really poor against the Boks. Surprised by Youngs playing as I think he's been really poor for England over the last year or so. That said I haven't seen him play for Leicester at all this season.

As for us, we've Best and D'Arcy returning by all accounts. I for one welcome the return of the former. Cronin is great in the loose but he couldn't hit a bull's arse with a banjo, never mind a jumper in the lineout. I would have started with Olding given his form for Ulster and impressive cameo last weekend instead of D'Arcy, been a great player for us but we have to look forward now. Hoping that Foley will come onto the bench in place of McCarthy, he had a great debut and has actually outshone O'Connell on several occasions for Munster. 

Agree with what you say about Cotter, Lewis. I'm sure you'll know that he had Schmidt in his coaching ticket at Clermont, so it'll be really interesting when we meet Scotland in the Six Nations. Scotland have had some decent coaches in recent years but Cotter is a cut above most and will probably coach New Zealand at some point. I was a bit surprised he took the job but imagine how much it'll enhance his reputation if he gets them up to scratch.

And finally, Walsh's comments are almost always ridiculous. He's by no means the worst ref on the circuit (Poite, anyone?) but he is arguably the biggest tool.

Archived