IGNORED

Celtic

leadman

Don't worry about them. They failed to make Scotland a region of EIRE and they are still a bit miffed

They don't want poppy because they support a country that side stepped the Second World War that took the position the invasion of Poland and the Holocaust was an English war.

I don't think Glasgow Celtic are odious I don't think their supporters are odious either, I just think the entire country of which flag that many of them like to fly, can't produce a league of their own and comes cap in hand to the English every time they make a mess of their economy!

Let them be in their own little world the rest of us have long forgotten about 1690 and most on here have no clue what I just said. AND BLOODY GOOD FOR THEM!

Don't worry about them. They failed to make Scotland a region of EIRE and they are still a bit miffed

They don't want poppy because they support a country that side stepped the Second World War that took the position the invasion of Poland and the Holocaust was an English war.

I don't think Glasgow Celtic are odious I don't think their supporters are odious either, I just think the entire country of which flag that many of them like to fly, can't produce a league of their own and comes cap in hand to the English every time they make a mess of their economy!

Let them be in their own little world the rest of us have long forgotten about 1690 and most on here have no clue what I just said. AND BLOODY GOOD FOR THEM!

16:53 is now more famous than the Battle of the Boyne in 1690!

That's a bit harsh - a lot of men from ROI, including two of my Uncles, signed up to fight in the Second World War.

booing and singing through the min silence and a huge banner saying no poppy on there shirt

All the videos of this clearly show their fans disrupting the minute's silence but there is no 'huge banner.'

It's very important to keep balance and accuracy when talking of sensitive issues like this. I have absolutely no time for Celtic and what they have, and seem to continue to stand for.

They have a history of disrupting the minute's silence as this time of year despite the fact that six Celtic players died in WWI. Their kit against Aberdeen had no poppies on either, huge disrespect again by the club itself.

And when they played against Arsenal in a pre-season tournament (I think it was) a few years ago their fans gave disgraceful abuse to British soldiers who paraded on the pitch before the game.

They did have a huge banner a few years ago at a home game at this time of year declaring amongst other things 'no bloodstained poppies on our shirts' but they'd spelt 'bloodstained' incorrectly which perhaps shows the sort of people behind such stunts.

I've never ceased to be amazed at the lack of shame and decency demonstrated by some of their fans that I've bumped into on my travels. They are happy to bellow out pro-IRA anthems and glorify in the murders of British people yet some readily admit they don't really know what they are singing about. They just copy the 'Bhoys' at Celtic games.

And they are so quick to be offended at any songs they don't like that are sung by fans of other clubs. And they complain and whinge to the authorities.

No 'bloodstained' poppies on your shirts? No poppies at all, says it all. Bet your players who gave their lives are so proud of you...

Many in Scotland still live in a bubble that perpetuates religious intolerance. There are towns and districts of cities where one would never go wearing a football shirt for fear of physical abuse.

The two big clubs are as bad as each other.

In 1999, I went to Ibrox with my nephew for a Champions league game.

Many in the crowd at the end where we sat, spent the entire 90 minutes hurling religious abuse at the small group of Greek fans at the other end of the ground. They just could not understand that the Greeks were almost certainly Greek Orthodox and not Catholics.

And when a Rangers sub came on, bent down touched the pitch and then crossed himself (what a meaningless action that is) some 50,000 Rangers fans screamed as one "**** off you Papist bastard".

That was when we walked out vowing never to go back.

Such a sweeping statement, and one that is wildly inaccurate.

Irish neutrality is engrained into their national identity in a similar way that it has been in the Swiss. In the early part of their independence forming a national identity was a massively important part of a long term, viable Ireland.

De Valera, the man so commonly accused of being a Nazi-sympathiser (The only real evidence for this was his comments following Hitler's death) was very close to joining the Allies in 1940 on the promise of an Irish Union discussion.

Ireland also contributing greatly to the war effort without ever having to give up its preferred 'neutral' stance. The use of Lough Foyle for allied naval craft, use of land in South Donegal for British flying boats, Shared Military intelligence and meteorological information and our prisoners of war who could expect speedy repatriation whereas their german foes could expect a long period of internment.

You also forget the c.50,000 Irishmen who fought for the Allies in the war.

Irish neutrality is complicated, and certainly not indicative of a country who sympathised with the atrocities of the Nazi's. Remaining neutral in a war involving the empire from which they had just broken away from seems pretty logical to me. They still contributed plenty to the effort and to falsify information and deny that is to disrespect those who died.

All the videos of this clearly show their fans disrupting the minute's silence but there is no 'huge banner.'

It's very important to keep balance and accuracy when talking of sensitive issues like this. I have absolutely no time for Celtic and what they have, and seem to continue to stand for.

They have a history of disrupting the minute's silence as this time of year despite the fact that six Celtic players died in WWI. Their kit against Aberdeen had no poppies on either, huge disrespect again by the club itself.

And when they played against Arsenal in a pre-season tournament (I think it was) a few years ago their fans gave disgraceful abuse to British soldiers who paraded on the pitch before the game.

They did have a huge banner a few years ago at a home game at this time of year declaring amongst other things 'no bloodstained poppies on our shirts' but they'd spelt 'bloodstained' incorrectly which perhaps shows the sort of people behind such stunts.

I've never ceased to be amazed at the lack of shame and decency demonstrated by some of their fans that I've bumped into on my travels. They are happy to bellow out pro-IRA anthems and glorify in the murders of British people yet some readily admit they don't really know what they are singing about. They just copy the 'Bhoys' at Celtic games.

And they are so quick to be offended at any songs they don't like that are sung by fans of other clubs. And they complain and whinge to the authorities.

No 'bloodstained' poppies on your shirts? No poppies at all, says it all. Bet your players who gave their lives are so proud of you...

But they did make a 5 figure donation to the RBL, doing more good than a million shirts with a poppy on.

Disgusted at the fans that disrupted the silence, but there will always be that section in the support. As has been said, the historical battle between Green and Blue in Glasgow has brought out the worst in generations of people right up to the present day.

There is an ever increasing amount of the support that is sick of the minority that do things like this. Not supporting the poppy appeal is an individual decision, whether it's based on a belief of connotations to the British Army or whatever, but jeering a silence to commemorate the victims of war is never acceptable.

However, don't be totally fooled by some of the hysteria that will follow. It was not like there were thousands joining together to ruin the moment. I knew a few different people that went to the game so probably have a better idea of what went on then most.

It's a minority, one that I hope is stamped out of the club, but changing these mindsets that have been built over generations will take time. The higher powers haven't always handled the situation correctly, but I can only hope they truly share the vision of eradicating the rogue elements. Something others have rightly questioned in the past.

I've noticed a shift in the 'common' Celtic supporter since I first went to a game almost 20 years ago, and hope it continues. Just a shame it's only one game against Rangers away from reigniting.

Also saw more than a few stories from people at the game of a fan being carried out after taking a beating from other Celtic fans next to him for shouting out during the silence, so sometimes karma does have a quick turnaround.

But yeah, the usual people will actually be delighted this morning that some idiots have given them a reason to reaffirm their faux rage at all things Celtic. Just a shame the vocal idiots in the support continue to give them something to feed on.

That's ok then, as long as they coughed up some cash... :facepalm:

Deary me.

The post I highlighted made out like Celtic do nothing for the RBL. They do, despite not wearing a poppy on their shirts (an entirely modern phenomenon.)

I am aghast that human beings can disrespect the dead during a minutes silence. I have no idea what happened to notion of respectful objections. But peddling lies and inaccuracies shouldn't be tolerated as it makes you just as bad as the people you're trying to defame.

S

Deary me.

The post I highlighted made out like Celtic do nothing for the RBL. They do, despite not wearing a poppy on their shirts (an entirely modern phenomenon.)

I am aghast that human beings can disrespect the dead during a minutes silence. I have no idea what happened to notion of respectful objections. But peddling lies and inaccuracies shouldn't be tolerated as it makes you just as bad as the people you're trying to defame.

Sorry but if Celtic really cared they would identify these morons name shame & ban them.......but they won't ,just send a few quid let everybody know you sent it then sleep well at night.....

Why not just answer the Op's question.

Any defence regarding the actions of more than a minority of celtics supporters is as disgusting as their lack of respect at the minutes silence. Sometimes this forum makes me sick, dress it up how you will, Celtic have a problem and a lot more than a minority are not just pro Irish but pro IRA, if their actions were mirrored by a similar size group of Muslims there would be uproar across the country!

The difference is I know many british horn Muslims who are proud to be British as well as Muslim. There seem to be a lot of British born Celtic fans who don't share the same pride and in some extreme cases support historical figures of a terrorist anti British belief, for me that's not acceptable and therefore my answer to the question is 10, IMHO if you don't like it here then you know what to do.

Deary me.

I have no desire to turn this into a long drawn out discussion, but your line 'peddling lies and inaccuracies' is aimed at my first post in this thread to which you replied saying that Celtic made a financial donation.

There are no lies in my post or inaccuracies in my post. Everything is fact.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Cheers fella

Any defence regarding the actions of more than a minority of celtics supporters is as disgusting as their lack of respect at the minutes silence. Sometimes this forum makes me sick, dress it up how you will, Celtic have a problem and a lot more than a minority are not just pro Irish but pro IRA, if their actions were mirrored by a similar size group of Muslims there would be uproar across the country!

The difference is I know many british horn Muslims who are proud to be British as well as Muslim. There seem to be a lot of British born Celtic fans who don't share the same pride and in some extreme cases support historical figures of a terrorist anti British belief, for me that's not acceptable and therefore my answer to the question is 10, IMHO if you don't like it here then you know what to do.

Are you saying it's the majority of Celtic fans, Wolfie? I find that hard to believe. Shameful if true.

+1

You've saved me the bother of writing exactly the same :)

Plus, its ever so ironic that the same Europe WE saved ending up bailing the Irish out.

I understand the inherited indignation in past history, what I don't get is the need to celebrate this at every opportunity, which is what those particular Celtic fans are doing. in the same way as Protestants during the marching season in Northern Ireland, it's inflammatory and pathetic.

Why not just wait outside on the concourses in a quiet and dignified manner until the 1 minutes silence is over?, it would have far more impact.

Regarding modern history Irish people should be far more indignant regarding it's own government and mother church in it's treatment of it's own people.

I understand the inherited indignation in past history, what I don't get is the need to celebrate this at every opportunity, which is what those particular Celtic fans are doing. in the same way as Protestants during the marching season in Northern Ireland, it's inflammatory and pathetic.

Why not just wait outside on the concourses in a quiet and dignified manner until the 1 minutes silence is over?, it would have far more impact.

Regarding modern history Irish people should be far more indignant regarding it's own government and mother church in it's treatment of it's own people.

Simple.  Inferiority complex. 

Again, it never ceases to amaze me with Celtic.They hijack our flag (I'm Irish, me) and basically treat it like a dishcloth or toilet paper.They are a Scottish club who represent Scottish football in European football until around mid August.They are not Irish.

Again, it never ceases to amaze me with Celtic.They hijack our flag (I'm Irish, me) and basically treat it like a dishcloth or toilet paper.They are a Scottish club who represent Scottish football in European football until around mid August.They are not Irish.

I've never though of it that way, interesting angle.

Excellent post.

It sickens me and most of the people I know that when there is an Irish international on in Dublin, you get the odd idiot wearing a Celtic shirt to the game! It shows what the mindset is.Namely, that of a complete moron."Oh but we are an Irish club!".You're not.You are not.You are Scottish.Dont hijack our flag to further your own bigoted ideals.Not even Scottish actually.British because they bottled it on independence...

Archived