IGNORED

Celtic

leadman

I understand the inherited indignation in past history, what I don't get is the need to celebrate this at every opportunity, which is what those particular Celtic fans are doing. in the same way as Protestants during the marching season in Northern Ireland, it's inflammatory and pathetic.

Why not just wait outside on the concourses in a quiet and dignified manner until the 1 minutes silence is over?, it would have far more impact.

Regarding modern history Irish people should be far more indignant regarding it's own government and mother church in it's treatment of it's own people.

Fair post, agree with that.

Again, it never ceases to amaze me with Celtic.They hijack our flag (I'm Irish, me) and basically treat it like a dishcloth or toilet paper.They are a Scottish club who represent Scottish football in European football until around mid August.They are not Irish.

Never liked Celtic.

I was in Ireland one remembrance day and I asked my Irish friend who I was staying with if it would offend anyone if I wore my poppy. His response was "nobody really cares, you might get the odd idiot, but there are Irish people who wear them". 

I didn't wear it as I didn't want to offend even "the odd idiot" whilst visiting their country... But the Irish I spoke to admitted they wouldn't have been bothered if I had.

Quite why it should bother a Scottish football team so much is baffling.

booing and singing through the min silence and a huge banner saying no poppy on there shirt

Booing and singing through a minutes silence is their level don't let it effect you or upset you that is what they want. Some may say its freedom of expression others will say treachery. I say they are an irrelevant club in an irrelevant league that serves as a beacon for sad little men! 

That's a bit harsh - a lot of men from ROI, including two of my Uncles, signed up to fight in the Second World War.

50,000 joined the British Army. Many left the Irish army to join the British Army. The ROI pardoned those who joined the British Army from the Irish Army in protest against the policies of The Irish Government in 2013. Of these 50,000 I have no clue what proportion were Catholic or Protestant, but would say they were good brave men for fighting Nazi's and rejecting the policies of there own government

All the videos of this clearly show their fans disrupting the minute's silence but there is no 'huge banner.'

It's very important to keep balance and accuracy when talking of sensitive issues like this. I have absolutely no time for Celtic and what they have, and seem to continue to stand for.

They have a history of disrupting the minute's silence as this time of year despite the fact that six Celtic players died in WWI. Their kit against Aberdeen had no poppies on either, huge disrespect again by the club itself.

And when they played against Arsenal in a pre-season tournament (I think it was) a few years ago their fans gave disgraceful abuse to British soldiers who paraded on the pitch before the game.

They did have a huge banner a few years ago at a home game at this time of year declaring amongst other things 'no bloodstained poppies on our shirts' but they'd spelt 'bloodstained' incorrectly which perhaps shows the sort of people behind such stunts.

I've never ceased to be amazed at the lack of shame and decency demonstrated by some of their fans that I've bumped into on my travels. They are happy to bellow out pro-IRA anthems and glorify in the murders of British people yet some readily admit they don't really know what they are singing about. They just copy the 'Bhoys' at Celtic games.

And they are so quick to be offended at any songs they don't like that are sung by fans of other clubs. And they complain and whinge to the authorities.

No 'bloodstained' poppies on your shirts? No poppies at all, says it all. Bet your players who gave their lives are so proud of you...

I was at at Barcelona v Celtic about 6 years ago in Catalonia. I was drinking and having some fun with a group of Germans who were there for the match. I was accused of stealing money by a Celtic fan (never forget Longkesh 89 on the back of his shirt) and chased up the road for being English....Racist is not in it with these people!

Such a sweeping statement, and one that is wildly inaccurate.

Irish neutrality is engrained into their national identity in a similar way that it has been in the Swiss. In the early part of their independence forming a national identity was a massively important part of a long term, viable Ireland.

De Valera, the man so commonly accused of being a Nazi-sympathiser (The only real evidence for this was his comments following Hitler's death) was very close to joining the Allies in 1940 on the promise of an Irish Union discussion.

Ireland also contributing greatly to the war effort without ever having to give up its preferred 'neutral' stance. The use of Lough Foyle for allied naval craft, use of land in South Donegal for British flying boats, Shared Military intelligence and meteorological information and our prisoners of war who could expect speedy repatriation whereas their german foes could expect a long period of internment.

You also forget the c.50,000 Irishmen who fought for the Allies in the war.

Irish neutrality is complicated, and certainly not indicative of a country who sympathised with the atrocities of the Nazi's. Remaining neutral in a war involving the empire from which they had just broken away from seems pretty logical to me. They still contributed plenty to the effort and to falsify information and deny that is to disrespect those who died.

As above I acknowledged the 50,000 who served and also acknowledged the attitude of the ROI toward many of them until two years ago. Eire was not even a country until the middle of the last century. The Irish Free State was still a commonwealth country and had no history of neutrality and was not landlocked by more powerful nations unlike the Swiss.

There was little support in the Irish nation to join the allies and an effigy of Chamberlain was burned in Dublin on the out break of war, which had a massive influence on Irish 'neutrality' and IRA activities continued in England and NI.

I at no point said Ireland had Nazi sympathies, I said Ireland side stepped the Holocaust and the invasions of fellow European states (that they now hold there hand out to) on the basis of this was an English war (and taking of the North was a much bigger issue). You can get any tour in Dublin and the tour guide will tell you the population saw it as an English war it was just the feeling of the majority in Ireland at the time.

As for De Valera, he was an American who led a revolt in Ireland against the English during WW1. De Valera had a 'Get out of Jail Free Card' as an American citizen at a time when the USA was entering the first war and this is what saved him from being shot as a traitor, while all his comrades were left to not fare so well. I don't know if De Valera was a Nazi sympathizer, but what I do know was he would do anything to further his own ends!

But they did make a 5 figure donation to the RBL, doing more good than a million shirts with a poppy on.

I am sure the RBL will gratefully accept the money. After all British troops died to save Ireland from becoming a part of Bavaria. 

On the subject of Ireland, before independence in 1922, they fought with us in the Great War (1914-1918) and all wars before it.

Celtic fans are truly ignorant and disrespectful to the highest degree.

Many did. As it was the British Army they would have joined. As above! Yes Celtic has those who have no respect also as above

Again, it never ceases to amaze me with Celtic.They hijack our flag (I'm Irish, me) and basically treat it like a dishcloth or toilet paper.They are a Scottish club who represent Scottish football in European football until around mid August.They are not Irish.

You Sir/Madam are a star! Whether you agree with me or not as above, you have hit the nail on the head! These people treat your flag like a dishcloth to wave in the face of the English....Booing our soldiers and not observing a minute silence was totally unnecessary. 

Many did. As it was the British Army they would have joined. As above! Yes Celtic has those who have no respect also as above

Irish regiments in 1914 were:-

Royal Irish Regiment, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Irish Rifles, Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers), Connaught Rangers, Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians), Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Going back further, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington was Irish (for those that didn't know) ;)

Irish regiments in 1914 were:-

Royal Irish Regiment, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Irish Rifles, Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers), Connaught Rangers, Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians), Royal Dublin Fusiliers and the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

Going back further, Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington was Irish (for those that didn't know) ;)

I agree they were of course Irish Regiments within the British Army....As for the Duke of wellington there are no statues in Ireland to the Duke....Partially of course because one of the most famous quotes in History!....

I agree they were of course Irish Regiments within the British Army....As for the Duke of wellington there are no statues in Ireland to the Duke....Partially of course because one of the most famous quotes in History!....

I was going to add this to my previous post but I'll add it here instead.....

Thanks for stating the obvious!

I wasn't disagreeing.....seems pretty obvious that as they didn't get independence until 1922 that the Irish Regiments would be part of the British Army until then to be honest, but hey, don't let intelligence get in the way of point scoring.... ;)

I was going to add this to my previous post but I'll add it here instead.....

Thanks for stating the obvious!

I wasn't disagreeing.....seems pretty obvious that as they didn't get independence until 1922 that the Irish Regiments would be part of the British Army until then to be honest, but hey, don't let intelligence get in the way of point scoring.... ;)

I wasn't!

My paternal grandfather was an Australian Anzac who fought in the first world war and settled in the UK after that conflict, he was also of Irish catholic stock who had migrated to Australia sometime in the late 19th century.

My father was brought up as a catholic in South Devon and well aware of his roots, he became a passionate BCFC fan and he had a deep hatred for Celtic fans and their misuse of the Irish tricolour.

Think some terms like 'Celtic' get bandied around far to easily.

Celtic the football club, along with Rangers, do a lot of work behind the scenes trying to overcome the years of sectarian nonsense that still has a place for to many of their fans.

Some Celtic fans are still idiots. To many. As are to many Rangers fans.

Will not stop those that want to continue reinforcing in their way, maybe not intentionally, that secterian bigotry with their 'green bad, orange good' rubbish, to often spouted on here.

Think some terms like 'Celtic' get bandied around far to easily.

Celtic the football club, along with Rangers, do a lot of work behind the scenes trying to overcome the years of sectarian nonsense that still has a place for to many of their fans.

Some Celtic fans are still idiots. To many. As are to many Rangers fans.

Will not stop those that want to continue reinforcing in their way, maybe not intentionally, that secterian bigotry with their 'green bad, orange good' rubbish, to often spouted on here.

I think the big difference is that in Celtic's case the club are slow to react, they clearly have a problem with offensive banners being smuggled into the ground at various times and don't appear to have the zeal to fully eradicate the problem, all they seem to have done is allow the problem to move to a different part of their ground.

I think the big difference is that in Celtic's case the club are slow to react, they clearly have a problem with offensive banners being smuggled into the ground at various times and don't appear to have the zeal to fully eradicate the problem, all they seem to have done is allow the problem to move to a different part of their ground.

Maybe because deep down they don't want to ...part of the clubs DNA

I ended up at a Rangers game in Hampden about 10 years ago with some Scottish mates of mine who support Rangers.They were laughing at my discomfort at some of the sectarian songs being sung and I put on a fantastic Rab C Nesbit accent.It was horrific.Both clubs are at it and sometimes I think it is the only reason they exist.Both clubs, football wise, are a joke shop.

Archived