IGNORED

Should They Be Playing American Football In Our National Stadium?

Redrobbin

You must put this Rooney top scorer into perspective. Did the likes of Charlton and Greeves have to play so many mediocre qualifying games like the modern day set up dictates.

I swear half of the countries in the hat howadays weren't even conceived at the time of Greeves and such like.

Let's face facts who had heard of Gurtar until they fraudulently won the rights to the World Cup 2022. ?

Did you know that Greaves scored most of his goals in friendlies?

You must put this Rooney top scorer into perspective. Did the likes of Charlton and Greeves have to play so many mediocre qualifying games like the modern day set up dictates.

I swear half of the countries in the hat howadays weren't even conceived at the time of Greeves and such like.

Let's face facts who had heard of Gurtar until they fraudulently won the rights to the World Cup 2022. ?

The vast majority of Bobby charltons goals were scored in friendly matches. Rooney's have come in qualifiers. One could argue that since he has found the net in more competitive games for england, that his goals are just as valid as the likes of Greaves and Charlton.

In that case these records mean nothing if restricted to "era's"

It's a different game now but records are still there to be broken, I just don't get your 'putting it in to perspective' comment as it's a completely different game with different rules now.

The vast majority of Bobby charltons goals were scored in friendly matches. Rooney's have come in qualifiers. One could argue that since he has found the net in more competitive games for england, that his goals are just as valid as the likes of Greaves and Charlton.

You could argue that the England team didn't need to play so many qualifiers back in their day. That is why they did score so many in friendly's

You could argue that the England team didn't need to play so many qualifiers back in their day. That is why they did score so many in friendly's

You could, and that's why it's so difficult to compare the two players. As other forum members have said, the two players have played in different eras of the game with different stipulations over the scheduling of international games.

WTF is a 'soccer mom' ? ... and a hood is usually on a coat not an automobiles bonnet (oops I mean cars)

Sidewalks are for crabs etc etc....

In my experience "soccer moms" are 30 something ladies who turn up to football on a Sunday morning wearing a tight fitting t shirt and leggings. The ones who can pull off this look are welcome to stay. For all those who should seek alternate fashion choices, the plane for the Americas beckons!

Is that the bristolian spelling of Qatar? Pronounced Gurt Ar

Yes it should and England should move out the stadium and travel to different grounds for matches like they done when wembley was being rebuilt.

Will get more people interested again.

87,000 people in attendance would suggest that interest isn't really a problem.  At least for competitive matches.  I do agree though with moving around the country for friendlies.

Shocking how bad the pitch was though.  Considering we're having regular football and rugby matches at the Gate this season and Wembley is only getting sporadic usage that pitch should never have looked as bad as it did.  I'm guessing Wembley doesn't have a desso pitch?

:facepalm:

Embarrassing comment if serious.

Not as embarrassing as English people fawning over a Yankee Doodle pile o'doo-doo like American football.

There is a reason why proper football is played all over the globe and Gridiron has hardly made any impact outside North America and that is that it's a better sport.

I lived in the States and got dragged along to baseball, ice hockey and American football games by work colleagues who thought they'd convert me from "girly soccer". I ended up quite liking baseball, ice hockey - which I had watched in this country previously - is sort of daft, but fun, but I just could never stand their funking football. I'd rather watch paint dry.

I'm glad to say my son - who is a Yankee Doodle, brought up in Michigan - shares my dislike of the game, despite being made to play it throughout High School.

Rugby for wimps. No thanks

You should try and play it.

I tried out for the Bristol Aztecs when I was doing my A-Levels, I took a hit so hard that I got a blood clot in my arm and had to wear button up shirts for a few weeks. Played rugby all through school and had no problems.

The pads make you be able to hit harder and safer, they do little to protect the person that's hit.

Not as embarrassing as English people fawning over a Yankee Doodle pile o'doo-doo like American football.

There is a reason why proper football is played all over the globe and Gridiron has hardly made any impact outside North America and that is that it's a better sport.

I lived in the States and got dragged along to baseball, ice hockey and American football games by work colleagues who thought they'd convert me from "girly soccer". I ended up quite liking baseball, ice hockey - which I had watched in this country previously - is sort of daft, but fun, but I just could never stand their funking football. I'd rather watch paint dry.

I'm glad to say my son - who is a Yankee Doodle, brought up in Michigan - shares my dislike of the game, despite being made to play it throughout High School.

I`m glad I am not the only one! I find rugby tedious, but watching that pile of cack was like trying to read Finnegan`s Wake....bloody impossible!!! And what`s with the tights (or panty-hose, if you`re a septic).

Factually incorrect there RR... The NFL or in particular the Super Bowl and is watched around the world, hardly just a North American thing now is it... Is been popular over here for years as well. The sport is played (even if amateur) across Europe and is big in Japan to.

Look at the games at Wembley, 80,000+ every game which has been staged over here.

As for this rugby for wimps crap... clearly it isn't due to severity of the sport. Tbh they are pretty tough guys who play that sport, the injury list is horrendous

It will never be as big as football but to say it hasn't made an impact outside North America is shortsighted

You should try and play it.

I tried out for the Bristol Aztecs when I was doing my A-Levels, I took a hit so hard that I got a blood clot in my arm and had to wear button up shirts for a few weeks. Played rugby all through school and had no problems.

The pads make you be able to hit harder and safer, they do little to protect the person that's hit.

Perhaps I'm put off it because my former brother-in-law played it - and he was an utter bellend.

I just didn't enjoy watching it though. Sorry. Perhaps it's one of those things on life that's more fun to do than watch, although Robbo Jr's experience tends to make me wonder about that too.

Factually incorrect there RR... The NFL or in particular the Super Bowl and is watched around the world, hardly just a North American thing now is it... Is been popular over here for years as well. The sport is played (even if amateur) across Europe and is big in Japan to.

Look at the games at Wembley, 80,000+ every game which has been staged over here.

As for this rugby for wimps crap... clearly it isn't due to severity of the sport. Tbh they are pretty tough guys who play that sport, the injury list is horrendous

It will never be as big as football but to say it hasn't made an impact outside North America is shortsighted

That's the thing though isn't it, that "albeit at amateur level" modifier.

Football is played around the globe at professional level and watched by millions upon millions of people. American football isn't. No matter how much they try and market it to us.

Archived