IGNORED

Farewell 3.00Pm Saturday Kick Off?

22A

Mention on R5 that broadcasting minnows Virgin & BT have complained  that they can't compete with the big boys when it comes to showing live games as TV rights cost a lot of money which gives a monopoly to Sky, BBC & ITV and is therefore unfair.

They argue that if more games could be shown, the price would drop. The league have a ban on any live game being broadcast between 2.45 and 5.15pm on a Saturday so as not to jeopardise the attendances at the non televised games.

BT & Virgin have therefore called for the scrapping of traditional kick off times so that games can start any time and that banned time slot would be superfluous.

I can follow their logic, but don't agree with it. I'm a football fan and if given the choice of going to the Gate to cheer on City or sit at home to watch Arsenal v Chelsea, the Gate wins every time. I'm sure if I supported any other team, say Chesterfield or Hartlepool even, my team would be what I'd want to watch, not some game Premiership or otherwise, that doesn't involve MY team.

It seems nowadays that tv companies think Football is just another tv programme.

If the Saturday afternoon ban is lifted,then there is no doubt that attendances will suffer,probably throughout all football.

A lot of people in this country already think that football is just for tv,especially with ticket prices so high that they can't afford to go to games anyway.

I would be happy with them making games start between 11:00 and 5:00 to take advantage of natural light where possible and to delay rather than postpone fixtures. This is traditionally how it was done.

They should then say TV can't show matches between 10:30 and 6 as football on TV is dull.

A 3.00 kick off is great as it allows sufficient time after lunch to get to the match, and sufficient time afterwards to do other things such as go to the pub. Any other time on a Saturday or Sunday just doesn't work. Unfortunately money talks.

I must be a bit odd (No! I hear you cry), but I can't imagine choosing to watch the Premiershite in preference to going down the Gate. There are things to which I might (and indeed do) give preference, but watching overpaid foreigners on the box isn't one of them.

As i grow older and become more a miserable old b*******D I despair of the hold the box in the corner has over the population. take BBC for example, when the Ints are on we dont get final score or League show as the prawn sandwich eaters dont believe there is football after Tootenham Snotspurs or The Kings road cheque bookers. Strictly come Prancing has become a daily event on the Beeb holding post mortems on why Judy Murray didnt do a back flip at the right time.......when I used to go to the Locarno, dancing wasted drinking time. 3pm Saturday is the time English (couldnt give a shi* about Raith Rovers) football starts and in the old days it finished at 4.40pm, many a time sat in the Williams and clock is past 4.50 !! For Gods sake lets keep something or just let the Big Boys just walk all over us.

I must be a bit odd (No! I hear you cry), but I can't imagine choosing to watch the Premiershite in preference to going down the Gate. There are things to which I might (and indeed do) give preference, but watching overpaid foreigners on the box isn't one of them.

I think the problem is its easier for the majority of people to sit in front of the TV than to go to a game and then it becomes a habit. And they forget how much better it is watching live football.

Seems to work in most other countries. Games kick off anywhere from a Friday evening through to a Sunday evening in most top flights across Europe, whether thats 11am on a Saturday or 9pm on a Sunday.

Doesn't seem to affect them.

Away support numerically in Spain is poor v England, as it is in most Countries.

Fans of clubs like Sparta Prague and Willem II both of whom have a connection with Bristol City would disagree with the lack of affect. Having irregular kick off times affects the attendances of both home and away support, it also affects the experience.

Who wants to travel a large distance on a Sunday for a late kick of and return home monday am? One trip to Tilburg for one of these Sunday - nighters saw the away support numbering less than 100, we still had a great trip but the atmosphere was odd.

Welcome to the Nfl. Early games late games Sunday games Thursday games.

Advertisers pay the bills. More games at staggered times means more advertising space.

Also a rake of games kicking off at eleven am works better for other markets.

Supply and demand. Football sold out a generation ago. In fact it couldn't wait to sell it's are.

Until there's some sort of mass non attendance for weeks running at the top flight nothing will change and who's not going to go when you're season ticket costs a grand

As i grow older and become more a miserable old b*******D I despair of the hold the box in the corner has over the population. take BBC for example, when the Ints are on we dont get final score or League show as the prawn sandwich eaters dont believe there is football after Tootenham Snotspurs or The Kings road cheque bookers. Strictly come Prancing has become a daily event on the Beeb holding post mortems on why Judy Murray didnt do a back flip at the right time.......when I used to go to the Locarno, dancing wasted drinking time. 3pm Saturday is the time English (couldnt give a shi* about Raith Rovers) football starts and in the old days it finished at 4.40pm, many a time sat in the Williams and clock is past 4.50 !! For Gods sake lets keep something or just let the Big Boys just walk all over us.

Couldn't agree more mate. (Apart from the Mod thing.....give me punk any day!)

Archived