IGNORED

Anti Ira Chants

Malago

It seems the Media is getting itself in quite a lather about the anti IRA chants of our supporters (England's)

at last night's game.

Personally, I can't see such chants are relevant to a football game between England and Scotland. It would have been much more apposite to sing anti SNP songs imo.

That said only two organisations bombed England in general, and Bristol in particular, in the 20th century; Nazi Germany and the IRA. I would therefore defend the right to sing such songs.

Thoughts? Or do we not give a ****.

It seems the Media is getting itself in quite a lather about the anti IRA chants of our supporters (England's)

at last night's game.

Personally, I can't see such chants are relevant to a football game between England and Scotland. It would have been much more apposite to sing anti SNP songs imo.

That said only two organisations bombed England in general, and Bristol in particular, in the 20th century; Nazi Germany and the IRA. I would therefore defend the right to sing such songs.

Celtic.

Reminds me of being at a City game at Wrexham a few years back, and amongst the usual anti-Welsh stuff, there was a chorus of "no surrender to the IRA" Christ knows why?

IRA chants aside, I actually thought last night was one of the more amusing England away supports of recent times. Normally the stuff they chant/sing is repetitive and dull at best, but "You're British till you die" and "Are you Scotland in disguise?" were pretty funny.

at last night's game.

at last night's game.

Don't see what the press are getting in a tizz about to be honest.  Celtic sing pro IRA songs without the same media storm and Muslims are free to sing, chant and display placards about killing British soldiers.  Whats the difference here?  Songs denouncing and ridiculing a terrorist organisation...don't know why anyone would get upset about that.

So no Sottish born Celtic supporters sing pro IRA songs?  

I go to a lot of Celtic games, you won't hear any IRA songs  -the  majority of which btw, are about the IRA of 1916, and not the pub bombing Provos- at Celtic Park, the old chairman Fergus McCann banned them years ago. You will hear a couple at away games, but surprise, surprise, if you chat to Celtic fans in the pubs before games you will find yourself having a chat about football and not Irish political history.

The point Red Dave was trying to make is that the huge majority of Celtic fans who sing such songs, would have been at Celtic Park the previous Friday cheering on Ireland, and not there Tuesday cheering on Scotland. The England fans were chanting anti IRA songs at  Scotland fans who probably had similar sympathies!

I go to a lot of Celtic games, you won't hear any IRA songs  -the  majority of which btw, are about the IRA of 1916, and not the pub bombing Provos- at Celtic Park, the old chairman Fergus McCann banned them years ago. You will hear a couple at away games, but surprise, surprise, if you chat to Celtic fans in the pubs before games you will find yourself having a chat about football and not Irish political history.

The point Red Dave was trying to make is that the huge majority of Celtic fans who sing such songs, would have been at Celtic Park the previous Friday cheering on Ireland, and not there Tuesday cheering on Scotland. The England fans were chanting anti IRA songs at  Scotland fans who probably had similar sympathies!

Yes, there's a time and a place and that wasn't it.

Anti-SNP songs (are there any?) would have been inappropriate too given the majority voted for Union.

There were a few Celtic tops sitting very close to the England end and I think that fanned the flames a little to be honest.

Don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. If it was all Scots in the stadium then who was offended? I'd defend anyones right to sing "f#ck the IRA". I can see the outrage now when it happens in Dublin next summer...

Celtic do sing pro IRA chants, in fact they even boast about it on social media and YouTube. That's why nobody likes them, it's amazing how they sing those songs with no hassle or consequences.

They won't mind if their family is caught up in their indiscriminate action one day then.

The lad in the front row with a celtic top on right in the front corner close to the away fans who was doing the double handed bird seemed to take exception to it until the steward sat next to him after the first 20 minutes.

Not saying i agree with the chant and did not join in with that particular one but we have all been to games where the opposition fans bait each other.

This is what helps create the atmosphere and it was quality Tuesday night not for the faint hearted.

A lot of the fans cheering for Scotland would have been Rangers fans who are far more ardent anti-IRA than any person in the away end.

Then a lot of the rest would have in all likelihood have been pro British.

So it was a bit like singing anti England songs to Cardiff.

The England fans were chanting anti IRA songs at  Scotland fans who probably had similar sympathies!

I was at the game and felt that it was an ill judged song for that exact reason.

Not saying i agree with the chant and did not join in with that particular one but we have all been to games where the opposition fans bait each other.

This is what helps create the atmosphere and it was quality Tuesday night not for the faint hearted.

Whether or not one agrees with the ant-IRA song, have to agree, the atmosphere created by the England fans was first class. I expected - and wanted - an intimidating atmosphere from the Scots in and out of the ground, and was surprised that it was nothing of the kind. The venom came entirely from the English, with some humour ("British till you die" and "are you Scotland in disguise") thrown in.

I have been to a few old firm games going back to the mid eighties i believe Scotland has moved on a fair bit since then and was also surprised by the lack of atmosphere from Scotland.

Spoke to some jocks after the game i asked which Scottish team they supported their answer was whoever is playing Celtic or Rangers.

They thought the Ireland game took it out of them.

There are a lot more jocks who support other teams rather than the big 2.

I have always wondered to be honest if Scotland played Ireland who would Scottish born Celtic fans want to win?

Take Malky Mackay or Kenny Dalgleish as random examples. Why would they not want Scotland to win?

Well, Kenny Dalglish is a Rangers fan for a start....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kenny-dalglish-life-rangers-link-2294761

Most Celtic fans associate with Scotland.

There was a survey in the Celtic View about 4 or 5 years ago that suggested only 16% followed Scotland, and a sizeable  majority supported Ireland. Obviously surveys depend entirely who you ask, as I said earlier,   I watch Celtic a fair bit, and from my own personal experience all I can add is that what tends to get discussed in the pubs on match days ,isn't Irish politics or  who you would support in international football , it  is the lack of a good striker, how shit the board are, the price of beer- in fact, pretty much whatever you heard discussed by fans of any club all  over the UK.

Honestly, Celtic fans are normal human beings

Just like us Gasheads :)

There was a survey in the Celtic View about 4 or 5 years ago that suggested only 16% followed Scotland, and a sizeable  majority supported Ireland. Obviously surveys depend entirely who you ask, as I said earlier,   I watch Celtic a fair bit, and from my own personal experience all I can add is that what tends to get discussed in the pubs on match days ,isn't Irish politics or  who you would support in international football , it  is the lack of a good striker, how shit the board are, the price of beer- in fact, pretty much whatever you heard discussed by fans of any club all  over the UK.

You're on a hiding to nothing as a Celtic-sympathising gashead on here.

Not sure about gasheads being normal human beings though...  ;)

There was a survey in the Celtic View about 4 or 5 years ago that suggested only 16% followed Scotland, and a sizeable majority supported Ireland. Obviously surveys depend entirely who you ask, as I said earlier, I watch Celtic a fair bit, and from my own personal experience all I can add is that what tends to get discussed in the pubs on match days ,isn't Irish politics or who you would support in international football , it is the lack of a good striker, how shit the board are, the price of beer- in fact, pretty much whatever you heard discussed by fans of any club all over the UK.

My experience of celtic park is a team followed by scots who are now mostly 3rd/4th/5th generation irish so now call themselves scots. 99% of celtic fans are lovely folk. Just some are too blind to see that football and polotics are different things.

I hear you mate, but when I see those huge anti poppy banners....

Archived