IGNORED

Anti Ira Chants

Malago

I can when the club lets it happen

Absolutely mate.

That pathetic, misspelled, huge 'No bloostained poppies on our hoops' banner would have been very difficult to get into the ground unnoticed.

That club won't condemn it's supporters or their actions.

What about when they chanted 'murderers' at British troops at their game vs Arsenal?

Again, silence from that club....

Absolutely mate.

That pathetic, misspelled, huge 'No bloostained poppies on our hoops' banner would have been very difficult to get into the ground unnoticed.

That club won't condemn it's supporters or their actions.

What about when they chanted 'murderers' at British troops at their game vs Arsenal?

Again, silence from that club....

The club did condemn it.

The club actually disbanded the Green Brigade section after controversial banners were displayed at the Ajax game last season.

So, do they not exist anymore? Serious question, btw - seems odd that a club can disband something started by fans?

The club did condemn it.

And so they should, the point being, and as BS4 says, I'm sure the banners were big enough to have been spotted on entering the ground. They shouldn't need to apologise, it shouldn't have happened

The club did condemn it.

The club can condemn fans, it can issue banning orders, it can close entire sections of seating to controversial groups, but it will never be enough for some people.

Trying to offer any explanations or defence of Celtic on this forum is pretty futile as it doesn't serve the narrative that people choose to believe.

I'm almost impressed with the amount of energy some on here spend with their unwavering, yet largely insignificant, hatred.

The club can condemn fans, it can issue banning orders, it can close entire sections of seating to controversial groups, but it will never be enough for some people.

Trying to offer any explanations or defence of Celtic on this forum is pretty futile as it doesn't serve the narrative that people choose to believe.

I'm almost impressed with the amount of energy some on here spend with their unwavering, yet largely insignificant, hatred.

I will take that as a compliment, thank you

So, do they not exist anymore? Serious question, btw - seems odd that a club can disband something started by fans?

And so they should, the point being, and as BS4 says, I'm sure the banners were big enough to have been spotted on entering the ground. They shouldn't need to apologise, it shouldn't have happened

Yes the club disbanded it. The Green Brigade were allocated section 111 in the ground and there was a waiting list for tickets to sit there, they were the ones who organised the various displays and most of the singing in the stadium was instigated by them, and much of it was very impressive.

However, the Green Brigade , rightly or wrongly, certainly weren't shy in letting their political beliefs be known, and were warned about their behaviour several times (including a ridiculous ban on 'lateral movement' which stemmed from a UEFA warning).

The straw that broke the camels back happened at a game I was at last year v Ajax in the Champions League just after the death of Nelson Mandela, which showed a picture of Mandela and one of Bobby Sands, I can't remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of one mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter , which seems  a perfectly reasonable statement to make to me,  but whether a Champions League qualifier is the place to express such a sentiment is another matter. As the banners unfurled I did say to my mate 'we will be in trouble for that one' and Neil Lennon was widely quoted as saying his 'heart sank' when he saw it.

The banners were huge, so they would have had to come into the ground piece by piece anyway, there is no way a steward could get you to unfurl it to check it.

I have seen some disgusting behaviour by City fans targeting Rovers fans at AG over the years, it doesn't mean I think you are all *****s.

Yes the club disbanded it. The Green Brigade were allocated section 111 in the ground and there was a waiting list for tickets to sit there, they were the ones who organised the various displays and most of the singing in the stadium was instigated by them, and much of it was very impressive.

However, the Green Brigade , rightly or wrongly, certainly weren't shy in letting their political beliefs be known, and were warned about their behaviour several times (including a ridiculous ban on 'lateral movement' which stemmed from a UEFA warning).

The straw that broke the camels back happened at a game I was at last year v Ajax in the Champions League just after the death of Nelson Mandela, which showed a picture of Mandela and one of Bobby Sands, I can't remember the exact wording, but it was along the lines of one mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter , which seems  a perfectly reasonable statement to make to me,  but whether a Champions League qualifier is the place to express such a sentiment is another matter. As the banners unfurled I did say to my mate 'we will be in trouble for that one' and Neil Lennon was widely quoted as saying his 'heart sank' when he saw it.

The banners were huge, so they would have had to come into the ground piece by piece anyway, there is no way a steward could get you to unfurl it to check it.

I have seen some disgusting behaviour by City fans targeting Rovers fans at AG over the years, it doesn't mean I think you are all *****s.

We'll said Miah, puts to shame a lot of the ignorant posts on here, they choose to ignore the positive discrimination that Rangers used by not employing Catholics for over 100years

But The Green Brigade section hasn't been disbanded has it?

We'll said Miah, puts to shame a lot of the ignorant posts on here, they choose to ignore the positive discrimination that Rangers used by not employing Catholics for over 100years

I don't get your love in with a club in a foreign city over 350 miles away? You don't have to be a rRangers fan to find the antics of certain sections of the Celtic support disgusting

Fair shout Mia, I bow to your far superior knowledge on this

I should make it clear that I'm not a Rangers sympathiser, I can't stand either of them for the pure vitriol they both spew. As bad as each other

There was a survey in the Celtic View about 4 or 5 years ago that suggested only 16% followed Scotland, and a sizeable  majority supported Ireland. Obviously surveys depend entirely who you ask, as I said earlier,   I watch Celtic a fair bit, and from my own personal experience all I can add is that what tends to get discussed in the pubs on match days ,isn't Irish politics or  who you would support in international football , it  is the lack of a good striker, how shit the board are, the price of beer- in fact, pretty much whatever you heard discussed by fans of any club all  over the UK.

Honestly, Celtic fans are normal human beings

Just like us Gasheads :)

I think England fans are aswell.

A perfectly UNREASONABLE statement to make, to me.

Nelson Mandela, bless him, had one wish while he spent all those years incarcerated, namely ONE MAN, ONE VOTE. Mandela was a true advocate of democracy; and he introduced it as soon as he had the opportunity to do so. South Africa, and indeed the world, has him to thank for this.

By stark contrast, scumbag Sands and his mates showed nothing but contempt for democracy. One man one vote was never enough for them. Shit Fein and the I.R.C. knew they would never win power by the ballot box, so they turned to violence in an attempt to get their way. Bombing and shooting innocent civilians, killing soldiers and policemen, while off duty / unarmed, is the mark of cowards.

Sands thought the British Government would give in to his demands by going on hunger strike. They didn't give in. He died. His choice.

Nelson Mandela, bless him, had one wish while he spent all those years incarcerated, namely ONE MAN, ONE VOTE. Mandela was a true advocate of democracy; and he introduced it as soon as he had the opportunity to do so. South Africa, and indeed the world, has him to thank for this.

By stark contrast, scumbag Sands and his mates showed nothing but contempt for democracy. One man one vote was never enough for them. Shit Fein and the I.R.C. knew they would never win power by the ballot box, so they turned to violence in an attempt to get their way. Bombing and shooting innocent civilians, killing soldiers and policemen, while off duty / unarmed, is the mark of cowards.

Sands thought the British Government would give in to his demands by going on hunger strike. They didn't give in. He died. His choice.

Exactly. And the world is better for it.

Wasn't Nelson Mandela directly influenced by Bobby Sands?

I don't get your love in with a club in a foreign city over 350 miles away? You don't have to be a rRangers fan to find the antics of certain sections of the Celtic support disgusting

And you don't have to be a Celtic fan do be dumbstruck at the fact that Rangers discriminated on religious grounds for most of its history. The simple matter is that there are sections of both sides be they chanting murders at British Soldiers or the racist anti Irish songs of Ibrox, that are awful. But then you must also realise that almost everyone who goes to Ibrox or Celtic Park are lovely people.

what's your interest in what happens in a foreign City over 350 miles away? I really don't get this "love in" so many City fans have with Rangers

Well, my family was impacted when the IRA bombed Bristol in 1974 but that aside, everything i've posted on this thread is not a 'Rangers love in' it's just my opinion on a club in Scotland whose fans chant pro-terrorist songs and openly and publicly abuse our troops.

I've also got strong links to Glasgow, I've been to Celtic Park many times and i've seen the banners and I've heard the chants.

They do happen and they haven't gone away...

Unlikely, I would suggest.

Mandela was on Robben Island from 1964 until 1982. During those years he was allowed 2 sensored letters per year. I doubt the activities of Sands were included within those letters.

Sands died in 1981.

For what it's worth Mandela did acknowledge Sands as an inspiration at some point, I can't remember the exact detail, but I think you missed my point about thinking 'one mans freedom fighter etc.', it  was not whether I think Sands was a freedom fighter or not, its that some would view him as that, just as some viewed Mandela a terrorist, and that's what makes it a reasonable statement, in fact, I can't see how anyone could disagree with that .

Well, my family was impacted when the IRA bombed Bristol in 1974 but that aside, everything i've posted on this thread is not a 'Rangers love in' it's just my opinion on a club in Scotland whose fans chant pro-terrorist songs and openly and publicly abuse our troops.

I've also got strong links to Glasgow, I've been to Celtic Park many times and i've seen the banners and I've heard the chants.

They do happen and they haven't gone away...

I don't think political chants have any place at a football match btw, but I am amazed you have heard them at Celtic Park in recent times, it simply isn't tolerated there and hasn't been for a few years now. I've heard the odd one in a pub now and then, especially at away games, but I cannot remember the last time I heard it at Celtic Park.

Archived