IGNORED

50 Years Ago On 5Th December 1964 My First City Game.

gavlin

Good to know that I am not City's oldest living supporter!

Yes, I am 120.

Although if you view my profile it will appear that I a mere youthful 99 due to not being able to enter my correct date of birth - 20 April 1894.

Indeed, it would appear that the profile-generating facility on this website makes no provision for us centenarians.

And that is just plain wrong.

Drury came from WBA, I think, summer 1964. He played only a few in that promotion season but was a regular in 65-66. Was subbed in the Bolton game because of injury, the first year of sub's and sub's only allowed to replace an injured player. Drury left in 1967.

It was the same season that we blew our chance of a second consecutive promotion. We lost 0-1 on Good Friday at home to Southampton with an own goal by Jack Connor. Won 2-0 at Plymouth the next day. Drew at Saints on Easter Monday. We were leading 2-1 at 90 minutes but near the end of added time we let in an equaliser. Saints went up. We did not.

Now for younger members, in those far off days, refs hardly allowed any time for anything. But at the game at Southampton, I think he let the game go on for some six or seven minutes. Nobody who was there, not me, seemed to know why.

Yes Fred Ford was manager. And I was also there when a diabolical foul by Eric McMordie of Middlesboro, effectively ended Gerry Sharpe's football career. Not cautioned or sent off. Today it would have been a straight red.

I was there also and remember hearing the 'crack' when he was tackled - the first and, thankfully, the only time I have heard anything so horrible.

I also remember some cretin started singing 'You'll never walk again' as he was being carried off - he received his just desserts.

30th.March 1957. CITY v Doncaster Rovers. I was a very young schoolboy.

Chairman: Mr H.J.Dorman, Manager: Pat Beasley.

CITY's team was: Anderson, Bailey, Thresher, Burden, White, Williams, Hinshelwood, Atyeo, Curtis, Etheridge, Watkins.

Interestingly, Doncaster's manager was Mr Peter Doherty  and Bert Tindall appeared as an inside forward. Both were to come to Ashton Gate later. Despite having an outstanding Gregg in goal  Donaster lost convincingly.

25 years ago this week for me, 6th March 1990 City 1 Tranmere 3, think they battered us 6-0 at their place so probably wasn't a wise choice.

just beat you to it 20 -1-90 City 1-0 Bury.

It's odd to think that 40-50 years from now we'll be old-timers, maybe? Having seen Louis and Tinman actually play...

Do hope the history of the club ain't bullshitted out for cooperate neccesity.

Met a man the other day who sold programmes throughout the years. Now in a wheel chair in the lions.

My land lady's uncle in the del boy flats wanted to know what 'this here say meeting in the lions' was about. I said it's about saving City's identity, old timer. Don't worry.

Tbf, he was worried I was one Of the 'money people'. I told him to **** off.

My first ever game I remember it well.

A hotly contested 1-1 draw against Glossop North End on 10 January 1903.

It was a bitterly cold day, and the gentlemen stood next to me died of consumption at half-time.

Still, such occurrences were commonplace back in the day.

So they had Lindley's pies back then?

Archived