IGNORED

50 Years Ago On 5Th December 1964 My First City Game.

gavlin

50 years ago on the 5th December 1964 I attended my first City game against Bournemoufh away in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup to see a 3-0 victory. The team that day was Gibson , Ford, Briggs, Bush, Connor, Low, Savino, Clark, Atyeo, Sharpe and Peters. Sharpe two and Clark were the scorers and that season ended in promotion, a good omen for this season. They say your born to watch a football team and for me that's never a truer word. I will be at the Ashton Gate on Saturday to have a quiet personal celebration. CTID     

geez some memory, a couple of years later for me, missed Atyeo playing but remember the rest, inc Gibson, Galley, Garland, Gow , great days, packed Eastend and the 1ST Division ahead of us. Bit different now, afraid to breathe in case some-one complains. :facepalm:

I was still at school in 1964 but I can remember going to that match by coach. The trip wasn't as exciting as travelling in the CATS coach no 1, but it's the result that counts. I can remember City played in an all white strip with red edging which was very modern looking for the 1960s.

Some of that team were part timers i think (gibbo was a postman and one of them (connors?) was a milkman) and lived in City houses behind the Kings Head by Highridge common.My mates dad worked on the turnstiles so we got to watch all home games for free sat on wooden benches on the touchline.I've seen all of that team play.

Some of that team were part timers i think (gibbo was a postman and one of them (connors?) was a milkman) and lived in City houses behind the Kings Head by Highridge common.My mates dad worked on the turnstiles so we got to watch all home games for free sat on wooden benches on the touchline.I've seen all of that team play.

I remember all those players. I also remember the smell of liniment and fags. The Green Un news paper. Walking from the centre to the ground and back again after matches. By the time I got back to the centre I could buy the Green Un and read the match report on the way home on the bus. Chris Crowe was one of my favourite players but he came after the promotion season of 1964

7th Sept 1957 was my first match v Leyton Orient. We drew 2-2 attendance according to history books !!! was 23,283. We had 2 internationals. John Atyeo and Dermot Curtis who played for the Irish Republic. manager then was Pat Beasley. The old man used to put me on the wooden fencing on front of the Oldstand (Cattleshed) and stand in front of me. In later years my Uncle Alex took me to play for my Primary school in the morning and then to AG when City were home.happy days

And we think fans leave games early now!

I was in the EE for this match but had to leave early for some reason.  As I came out I passed a BBC van and saw Blackpool's 4th goal on a TV monitor.  I then nipped into the open end, just in time to see City's 2nd goal.

I was in the EE for this match but had to leave early for some reason.  As I came out I passed a BBC van and saw Blackpool's 4th goal on a TV monitor.  I then nipped into the open end, just in time to see City's 2nd goal.

You've got a great memory!

And we think fans leave games early now!

Great to watch this again, sadly all these years later and thanks to super slow wi-fi I have taken 20 minutes to watch the first 5 minutes !!! buffers like mad but nice to see the Duckmoor Road flats pre Dolman. Will try and watch the rest at 3 in the morning when my wifi may be a bit faster :grr::clap: :clap:

Great to watch this again, sadly all these years later and thanks to super slow wi-fi I have taken 20 minutes to watch the first 5 minutes !!! buffers like mad but nice to see the Duckmoor Road flats pre Dolman. Will try and watch the rest at 3 in the morning when my wifi may be a bit faster :grr::clap: :clap:

Are you at the end of a 3 mile dusty track in Cornwall?

Are you at the end of a 3 mile dusty track in Cornwall

No on a 3 Mi fi in deepest Edithmead Nr Burnham on Sea.. Amazed how fast they are when you first buy them and suddenly they slow down just like watching a Rovers build up to scoring a goal. :gasmask: :gasmask:  Sadly we live on a Park Homes and cant have the luxury of a landline

I wish I could remember what my first City match was. It would be about 1971. My main memories of those early games are getting Wagon Wheels from the club kiosk and watching the Pink Panther Show in the Directors' Bar afterwards!

Oddly, the first game I really recall in any detail was the Leeds v Sunderland cup final in 1973. First of many cup finals I attended as a kid.

I wish I could remember what my first City match was. It would be about 1971. My main memories of those early games are getting Wagon Wheels from the club kiosk and watching the Pink Panther Show in the Directors' Bar afterwards!

Oddly, the first game I really recall in any detail was the Leeds v Sunderland cup final in 1973. First of many cup finals I attended as a kid.

Wagon Wheels were much bigger in 1971

50 years ago on the 5th December 1964 I attended my first City game against Bournemoufh away in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup to see a 3-0 victory. The team that day was Gibson , Ford, Briggs, Bush, Connor, Low, Savino, Clark, Atyeo, Sharpe and Peters. Sharpe two and Clark were the scorers and that season ended in promotion, a good omen for this season. They say your born to watch a football team and for me that's never a truer word. I will be at the Ashton Gate on Saturday to have a quiet personal celebration. CTID

You made me ponder my 50th, which is about four months away. That was a hell of a team, we never saw the best of Gerry Sharpe, Big John was the only player in my lifetime worthy of calling a "legend", Terry Bush's terrifying shot, The great Gibbo.... Happy days and were they really 50 years ago?

Quite a few of those players in this match against Blackpool in 1967, Fred Ford's last game in charge and City's second appearance on MOTD:

First time I ever saw City on MOTD, didn't have to watch it or think hard to remember we lost 2-4. We were in the Cowshed level with the penalty area near the EE.

Skirt on joined us not long after this, really nice chap - became Commercial Manager at Yeovil I think.

My first game was almost 50 years ago, and I wonder whether somebody might be able to help me.

As I recall, it was the first game of the 1966/1967 season, and we were certainly home to Bolton Wanderers who had the England goalkeeper Eddie Hopkinson.

I remember that City won 1-0, but have been unable to find any details on the internet.

Have I got the date wrong?

Many Thanks in advance.

The old Ringside seats! The team would have all been full time by then though, Gibbo became a postie when he retired.

My first game was almost 50 years ago, and I wonder whether somebody might be able to help me.

As I recall, it was the first game of the 1966/1967 season, and we were certainly home to Bolton Wanderers who had the England goalkeeper Eddie Hopkinson.

I remember that City won 1-0, but have been unable to find any details on the internet.

Have I got the date wrong?

Many Thanks in advance.

Try www.11v11.com

Indicates a 2-2 home draw Aug 20th 1968/69 season. Most other games around those years were later in the seasons.

Try www.11v11.com

Indicates a 2-2 home draw Aug 20th 1968/69 season. Most other games around those years were later in the seasons.

Thanks for that.

Memory must be playing tricks as it would seem I was 2 years out with the date and a few goals out with the score.

Also, I remember John Atyeo playing and he had retired by 1968!

I shall have to do some research - I seem to recall it was the first game after promotion (it was certainly my first game) so must have been 1965/66.

Archived