IGNORED

Two 18S Gone This Week

redarmy1974

One was a striker or so I heard. U18 squad a bit thin now. Not sure if any younger lads are capable of making the step but I think there is a lad trialing with a view to signing till the end of the season. Not sure on the name, but a powerful striker who (on his day) scores goals for fun in the Western League.

One was a striker or so I heard. U18 squad a bit thin now. Not sure if any younger lads are capable of making the step but I think there is a lad trialing with a view to signing till the end of the season. Not sure on the name, but a powerful striker who (on his day) scores goals for fun in the Western League.

manor farm lad?

The results from the 18s and 21s haven't been any good this season .

I believe that at u18, the results don't matter that much. Bit O'Driscoll-esque but if we are teaching players to make correct decisions, i'd take that over winning because our players are bigger/stronger at u18 thus dominate matches.

u21 I feel it does matter more definitely

I believe that at u18, the results don't matter that much. Bit O'Driscoll-esque but if we are teaching players to make correct decisions, i'd take that over winning because our players are bigger/stronger at u18 thus dominate matches.

u21 I feel it does matter more definitely

I think upto u16 results do not matter that much but 18s and 21s results do matter as they paid players from that stage onwards

I think upto u16 results do not matter that much but 18s and 21s results do matter as they paid players from that stage onwards

Disagree - most u18s are not fully grown! It isn't a level playing field until they are, regardless whether they're paid or not. Winning is still good at that age, but feel it's of less importance than at older age groups.

The results from the 18s and 21s haven't been any good this season .

But wouldn't you agree the players are becoming better individual players?

They are being trained to be technically good and match ready. To be comfortable on the ball and make the right decisions.

Winning at all costs, at the expense of developing technical ability, has been the weakness of many an English Academy in the past.

I've noticed a lot of our younger playing staff are quiet smaller in physique compared to many of their counterparts.

I'm glad we have seen past youngsters who have developed quickly, and have focussed on their 'football' qualities instead.

The end result should be, that we develop great players and not about winning teams in the Academy.

For a Club to work as one...they have to realise that.

It would be all too easy for an Academy Coach to win games, if he was judged on winning games.

If he knew he would lose his job because of poor results, he would bring in physically mature players to do just that.

He must only be judged by the end product...which could take a few years.

Of course...you need the first team manager and the rest of the coaches down the teams, to all be working from the same hymn sheet...if not...the whole thing fails.

From what I've witnessed I think we are better than a couple of years ago.

Of course if you want your youth team players to be 'putting there foot through it'...'Get rid'...'nail it' etc....then you could always ask for Alan Walsh back... :facepalm:  :yes:

why?

how much do we win for winning the under 21, under 18's league and cup?

no youth football right across all age groups should focus on development first and formost winning not so much, thats what the first team is there for,

Picking out the results of U18 & U21 is understandable, they've not been good, but, as a few people have pointed out, the club is blooding players out of their age group.

An easy example to highlight that is yesterday's reverse against Cardiff. The U21 lost 3-0. A first glance, not great. Looking deeper though you will see just 1 of the City players had any first team experience, Wynter. Cardiff however had 4 full internationals in their starting lineup!

Many clubs with sides in that league use the games as reserve team matches to give players who aren't getting a first team spot a run out. Clearly, if you have a 23-24 man senior squad then a lot of decent players will be playing. What it highlights is that the club is actually using the "infamous" pillar of developing youth because our experienced first team squad is real bare bones.

The time to start questioning the effects of this strategy is when the U16 players, who have been playing U18, move up and our U18 side is exactly that. If we are still losing week in week out then, questions will be asked.

Fingers crossed we will develop decent footballing youngsters, because we sure as hell are going to need it when we make our step into Europe in a few years

Archived