IGNORED

A Steven Gerrard Question

Between heaven and hell

I was watching the Leicester and Liverpool game last night and was amazed to here Leicester fans booing and gesturing towards Gerrard when he went to take corners. Now I realise that I might be getting a bit old and miserable but what's all that about, they have spent the last ten years away from the top flight while Gerrard has been amassing 114 caps for his country some as captain. He ain't a journeyman with a bundle of clubs under his belt either, one club 500 odd caps. I am certainly no scouse lover but I thought he deserved a bit more respect than that, typical of Leicester I suppose.

Anyone else agree

I was watching the Leicester and Liverpool game last night and was amazed to here Leicester fans booing and gesturing towards Gerrard when he went to take corners. Now I realise that I might be getting a bit old and miserable but what's all that about, they have spent the last ten years away from the top flight while Gerrard has been amassing 114 caps for his country some as captain. He ain't a journeyman with a bundle of clubs under his belt either, one club 500 odd caps. I am certainly no scouse lover but I thought he deserved a bit more respect than that, typical of Leicester I suppose.

Anyone else agree

He plays for Liverpool..... :facepalm:

I give the opposition a bit of stick like everyone else, my point is that in my opinion someone like him deserves a bit more respect. Not necessarily from Man U or Chelsea etc but bloody Leicester come on.

So if we draw Liverpool in a cup game, should we roll out the red carpet for him? Hope the players don't feel that way.

Not advocating giving him or any other player dogs abuse for no reason, but Leicester fans have no more reason to applaud him taking a corner as any other set of fans, or they any other player.

Good on him playing loads of games for Liverpool and getting all those caps, but means nothing to his opposition team or fans when he crosses the white line.

Anyone else agree

I take it you sit in the Williams and clapped Skeletor onto the pitch. He is an opposition player and therefor gets abuse.

Oh and he has never been world class, like soooo many say he is.

So if we draw Liverpool in a cup game, should we roll out the red carpet for him? Hope the players don't feel that way.

Not advocating giving him or any other player dogs abuse for no reason, but Leicester fans have no more reason to applaud him taking a corner as any other set of fans, or they any other player.

Good on him playing loads of games for Liverpool and getting all those caps, but means nothing to his opposition team or fans when he crosses the white line.

99.9% of the premier league players probably deserve sh*t where ever they go, but a certain few especially those that are at the end of their careers and have been good servants to club and country deserve a bit more than that in my opinion.

I take it you sit in the Williams and clapped Skeletor onto the pitch. He is an opposition player and therefor gets abuse.

Oh and he has never been world class, like soooo many say he is.

Dolman B block for many years me old mate, I like a pint or four and am happy to fight for the cause when needed home or away.

So you probably couldn't be further away if you tried.

99.9% of the premier league players probably deserve sh*t where ever they go, but a certain few especially those that are at the end of their careers and have been good servants to club and country deserve a bit more than that in my opinion.

Why?

I'm not a Liverpool fan, and as much as I'm sure he cared deeply while playing for Engalnd, he's certainty not done so during a period where we've done anything of note.

He's played at the top of the game and won some of it's greatest honours, and fair play to him. But I bet he's the last person on Earth who'd not expect to get it in the neck from the opposition players and fans. It's the game; he knows that. Doubt he needs anyone looking out for him.

Why?

I'm not a Liverpool fan, and as much as I'm sure he cared deeply while playing for Engalnd, he's certainty not done so during a period where we've done anything of note.

He's played at the top of the game and won some of it's greatest honours, and fair play to him. But I bet he's the last person on Earth who'd not expect to get it in the neck from the opposition players and fans. It's the game; he knows that. Doubt he needs anyone looking out for him.

I'm making an observation not looking out for him.

In this modern life we are quite happy to abuse and run People down at every oppertunity until something horrible happens to them and then we have a public outpouring of grief with the same people saying how great they were.

Brutal but the truth, it would make a nice change to show a bit of respect in the first place.

I think Leicester fans are within their right to boo him.

He is a multi millionaire who lives a life of luxury and is regarded one of the country"s greatest ever (god knows why) and he was shocking whenever he played for England. 114 caps for England yet we never even reached a semifinal of anything.

I'm making an observation not looking out for him.

In this modern life we are quite happy to abuse and run People down at every oppertunity until something horrible happens to them and then we have a public outpouring of grief with the same people saying how great they were.

Brutal but the truth, it would make a nice change to show a bit of respect in the first place.

Don't make assumptions about me based on my factual response to your public statement, which was either naive in the extreme or posted in order to illicit a response.

You expressed dismay that a club "like" Leicester's fans could dare attempt to try and help their side by distracting an opposition player with jeers and gestures; you patronising comments say more about you than my response says about me or the 'terrible' modern life we live.

I think Leicester fans are within their right to boo him.

He is a multi millionaire who lives a life of luxury and is regarded one of the country"s greatest ever (god knows why) and he was shocking whenever he played for England. 114 caps for England yet we never even reached a semifinal of anything.

Great post that

Shocking whenever he played for England ? are you sure about that.

114 games for England and never reached a semi, all down to him then.

I'm off and I salute you sir Alf

I give the opposition a bit of stick like everyone else, my point is that in my opinion someone like him deserves a bit more respect. Not necessarily from Man U or Chelsea etc but bloody Leicester come on.

They probably do it on every corner to try and intimidate the player regardless of who he is, doubt it's anything personal against Gerrard. Anyway why do United/Chelsea fans have a right to give him abuse but Leicester don't?

Don't make assumptions about me based on my factual response to your public statement, which was either naive in the extreme or posted in order to illicit a response.

You expressed dismay that a club "like" Leicester's fans could dare attempt to try and help their side by distracting an opposition player with jeers and gestures; you patronising comments say more about you than my response says about me or the 'terrible' modern life we live.

Perhaps you'd like to explain the assumptions about me bit as I am talking generally and not about you specifically if you think that then I am sorry.

By the way patronising comments are definately not my thing.

Trying to get inside players is what sets football apart from almost any other sport. In that respect football is as far from rugby union as Pluto is from the Sun.

The only sport that I know anything about, that is similar, is cricket where the players do the sledging but fans are not normally like that.

I, personally, don't go in for the sort of abuse that the Leicester fans are reported as using but I understand where they are coming from.

And also a personal belief; when I was a teenager, one of the great young midfielder was a lad from Dudley called Duncan Edwards who was one of the Busby Babes and who died in the Munich air disaster.

I saw him twice at Cardiff City (First Division) and BRFC in an FA Cup tie plus odd games on TV for England and Man U, and he was awesome. Could play anywhere on the team and equally happy/good up front, midfield or defence.

Steven Gerrard is IMO, the nearest I have seen in an English player to the late great Duncan Edwards. So I, again personally, would never insult a great player like Gerrard but just enjoy the moment of seeing such a footballer on the pitch a few yards away.

They probably do it on every corner to try and intimidate the player regardless of who he is, doubt it's anything personal against Gerrard. Anyway why do United/Chelsea fans have a right to give him abuse but Leicester don't?

Probably because of the history between them for the last ten years or so while Leicester have been in other leagues.

Trying to get inside players is what sets football apart from almost any other sport. In that respect football is as far from rugby union as Pluto is from the Sun.

The only sport that I know anything about, that is similar, is cricket where the players do the sledging but fans are not normally like that.

I, personally, don't go in for the sort of abuse that the Leicester fans are reported as using but I understand where they are coming from.

And also a personal belief; when I was a teenager, one of the great young midfielder was a lad from Dudley called Duncan Edwards who was one of the Busby Babes and who died in the Munich air disaster.

I saw him twice at Cardiff City (First Division) and BRFC in an FA Cup tie plus odd games on TV for England and Man U, and he was awesome. Could play anywhere on the team and equally happy/good up front, midfield or defence.

Steven Gerrard is IMO, the nearest I have seen in an English player to the late great Duncan Edwards. So I, again personally, would never insult a great player like Gerrard but just enjoy the moment of seeing such a footballer on the pitch a few yards away.

Thank you very much sir, neither would I

It is pretty pointless though. Remember when Collymore got dog loads down here for Forest coins thrown at him etc, he just let his football do the talking and gave one of the best performances I have seen from an opposition player. Our fans looked very silly.

Was this before or after the penalty incident? Personally I feel all opposition players are fair game but the reaction may have been more intense if they felt he dived (which I done think he did).

I Went the Argentina very Portugal game at old Trafford recently and the man u fans spent the entire time booing Messi and cheering Ronaldo. That I found a little bizarre.

Steve G? Nah I don't like him and he is a typical gobshite footballer.

Liverpool through and through, until he tries to engineer a move to Chelsea meeting with Keynon and forcing Liverpool to up their offer for him to stay.

England stalwart, unless before a friendly he doesn't fancy when it's 'sorry gaffer I got a little niggle'. Too big of an ego to play with Lampard for England.

Role model, when he's not planting haymakers on DJ's on nights out.

Sum it all up, no Gerrard has not earned respect and I can perfectly understand why some may think he is a bellend.

Archived