IGNORED

A Steven Gerrard Question

Between heaven and hell

Was this before or after the penalty incident? Personally I feel all opposition players are fair game but the reaction may have been more intense if they felt he dived (which I done think he did).

I Went the Argentina very Portugal game at old Trafford recently and the man u fans spent the entire time booing Messi and cheering Ronaldo. That I found a little bizarre.

Perhaps something to do with the fact that they are rivals and that Ronaldo was (and still is ) a hero to most Manchester Utd.fans?

I can see why other fans would boo Gerrard but surely its only banter? Personally i would only boo him if he was playing for the :gasmask:

For me he is my favourtie non city player ever, a player that can do anything on a football pitch, i am sure when my son is old enough i will be telling him stories of just how good Stevie was.

His best years have gone because he doesn't have the engine/speed of years gone by but still good enough to play in almost any team in the world imo.

We don't boo players that take corners.

The east end certainly use to!

For what it's worth I think Gerrards an outstanding player, if I met him off the pitch I'd be totally starstruck. Certainly one of my favourite non-city related players.

On the pitch though he'd just be an opposition player and any edge you can get is worth a go.

• Admin

The east end certainly use to!

For what it's worth I think Gerrards an outstanding player, if I met him off the pitch I'd be totally starstruck. Certainly one of my favourite non-city related players.

On the pitch though he'd just be an opposition player and any edge you can get is worth a go.

Exactly that !

During a game if he is not wearing a City shirt or the three lions no reason at all to support him

Yeah he has been a great player, but if Liverpool play us this season, expect him to get the same stick infront of us just like any other player does

I've said it before on here, there are two great myths in English football:

1 - Newcastle have the best fans on the planet, and always have. They definitely took thousands to every away game before KK

2 - Gerrard is world class

Munich 2001, I remember thinking that this kid had something special. Tell me how many times he turned up for England since? I don't care about Liverpool. We've seen many a 'world class' English player be fantastic for their club and not back it up for their country. Being world class (to me, at least) means doing it on the biggest stage

Fair shout to him, he's won more FA Cups, League Cups and European Cups than I have, and I wouldn't boo him if we were to play against him

I wouldn't kiss his arse either. Seems like a nice guy though, other than that one indiscretion and few years ago, and I wish him well. World class he ain't though

I've said it before on here, there are two great myths in English football:

1 - Newcastle have the best fans on the planet, and always have. They definitely took thousands to every away game before KK

2 - Gerrard is world class

Munich 2001, I remember thinking that this kid had something special. Tell me how many times he turned up for England since? I don't care about Liverpool. We've seen many a 'world class' English player be fantastic for their club and not back it up for their country. Being world class (to me, at least) means doing it on the biggest stage

Fair shout to him, he's won more FA Cups, League Cups and European Cups than I have, and I wouldn't boo him if we were to play against him

I wouldn't kiss his arse either. Seems like a nice guy though, other than that one indiscretion and few years ago, and I wish him well. World class he ain't though

Couldnt have said it better myself.

I find peoples disregard for what Steven Gerrard has achieved in his career quite baffling. People say he never preformed for England yet despite not reaching the dizzy heights of his club performances he is one of the few of the "golden generation" who didn't actually play that badly in 2006. He was also included in the team of the tournament in euro 2012.

Zidane once described him as the worlds most complete midfielder- That's good enough for me.

Perhaps something to do with the fact that they are rivals and that Ronaldo was (and still is ) a hero to most Manchester Utd.fans?

I understand that Ronaldo is a hero up here... I just find it baffling that they were booing one the best players to ever play the game as they want a former player to pip him to a award.

For me the best midfielder in Premier League History. Scholes was good, Lampard was as well, but they played in great teams. Gerrard carried an average Liverpool team for ten years. In his prime he would of got into any team.

I find peoples disregard for what Steven Gerrard has achieved in his career quite baffling. People say he never preformed for England yet despite not reaching the dizzy heights of his club performances he is one of the few of the "golden generation" who didn't actually play that badly in 2006. He was also included in the team of the tournament in euro 2012.

Zidane once described him as the worlds most complete midfielder- That's good enough for me.

I understand that Ronaldo is a hero up here... I just find it baffling that they were booing one the best players to ever play the game as they want a former player to pip him to a award.

Wasn't that Scholes? Wasn't it along the lines of:

Interviewer - what's it like to be the best midfielder in the world?

ZZ - I don't know, ask Paul Scholes

Probably an urban legend doing the rounds on facebook / twitter, but it rang a bell when I saw it not so long back

For me the best midfielder in Premier League History. Scholes was good, Lampard was as well, but they played in great teams. Gerrard carried an average Liverpool team for ten years. In his prime he would of got into any team.

But isn't that why he stood out, as he was the only player in many tepid Liverpool teams worth watching? Scholes and Lampard were surrounded by proper 'world class' players

Wasn't that Scholes? Wasn't it along the lines of:

Interviewer - what's it like to be the best midfielder in the world?

ZZ - I don't know, ask Paul Scholes

Probably an urban legend doing the rounds on facebook / twitter, but it rang a bell when I saw it not so long back

I think it was Gerrard. Think it was Xavi that said about Scholes.

But isn't that why he stood out, as he was the only player in many tepid Liverpool teams worth watching? Scholes and Lampard were surrounded by proper 'world class' players

Scholes would of struggled playing alongside Biscan picking the ball up from Traore and looking for the run of Neil Mellor!

I think it was Gerrard. Think it was Xavi that said about Scholes.

Fair comment, you could well be right there

Scholes would of struggled playing alongside Biscan picking the ball up from Traore and looking for the run of Neil Mellor!

Fair comment, you are definitely right there

And what does a Scouser like Zidane know about football? He is a Scouser, isn't he?

Damn right he is Aizoon. I'm sure I read a quote from Zidane where he said that a shot that hits the woodwork post or bar should count as a goal! :)

Do people seriously think a player of Gerrard's experience and quality is going to be put off his game by a bit of booing?  If anything is will give a positive edge.

Anyway those who are just dismissing it as "because he's an opposition player" - clearly it's specific to Gerrard, because it is not the norm for every away player to be booed at a corner.  You can argue until the cows come home about just how good he was but I agree with the original poster that it does seem a bit strange and unnecessary.

For what it's worth, I think the goal v West Ham in the cup final proved that Gerrard was capable of what can only be described as "world class" - but did he do it often enough, for club AND country, to go down as one of the true greats?  Probably not.  Just my opinion.

I dont think people are saying Gerrard is a bad player but I dont care how he performs for Liverpool, he didnt do it for England and shouldnt be regarded one of the Country's greats, a Liverpool great he is.

Zidanes quote was about Paul Scholes being the best midfielder in the World I am pretty sure it was anyway.

I will never forget Gerrard costing us the opening game vs France in Euro 2004, he was below par for England ever since.

I dont think people are saying Gerrard is a bad player but I dont care how he performs for Liverpool, he didnt do it for England and shouldnt be regarded one of the Country's greats, a Liverpool great he is.

Zidanes quote was about Paul Scholes being the best midfielder in the World I am pretty sure it was anyway.

I will never forget Gerrard costing us the opening game vs France in Euro 2004, he was below par for England ever since.

My only real memory of Gerrard for England is digging us out of a massive hole in one of the World Cups. From memory he got a header against Sweden (?) in a 2-2 draw and also got the winner with a decent long range ish shot in a scrappy 1-0 win over Trinidad??

Of course they could be completely separate competitions given my memory!

But if not, he did well given the rest of the squad completely flopped. 

I always thought the problem was that we had Gerrard, Scholes and Lampard available at the same time and did not have a manager able to get the best out of them.

In my view, the first choices should have been Gerrard and Scholes, but I am sure that we often ended up with Scholes out left, and Gerrard playing a deep role to allow Lampard to play the more attacking midfield role - Gerrard's versatily was his undoing in that respect . 

It's the classic case of a manager picking the 11 best players not the 11 players that make up the best team. At the moment for us many fans would regard JET as one of our best players, but it can be argued that we are a better team without him.

Archived