IGNORED

Parking With 27K Capacity

ChippenhamRed

Strikes me that it will be a complete nightmare! Seems like so many of my old regular spots (eg around the flyover/swing bridge) have now been made double yellow or permit holder only (from the residents point of view I do understand the latter). This season we've found it harder than ever and some games have ended up paying, something we've always managed to avoid in the past.

And this with only 13k attending!

What is the plan when the number attending is (potentially) doubled? Are there plans to increase the amount of public transport to the stadium in line with the increased capacity? Under the present circumstances I would be reluctant to even consider driving to a sold out match in the new ground.

I don't live in south Bristol and to be honest I'm not up to speed with the new transport links but I Am sure I read somewhere that Steve Lansdown was keen to open up the old rail link by the old Ship and Castle pub.

Also something that works well at Kingsholm for the rugby is the park and ride system, that is something that definitely should be set up.

Ever heard of buses ?

I quite clearly referenced public transport in my original post.

I come from Wiltshire and pick up my Dad on the way. I'm all for public transport but the reality is that, for me, driving is by far the easiest option. This is particularly so for midweek games where I get home late enough as it is. Adding a bus journey to my trip is not something I want to do, but I will do if becomes absolutely necessary.

My post was simply an observation that parking options are dwindling while capacity is increasing.

parking will be the same as normal, we rarely sell out before the redevlopment and unless we are in the prem I don't expect us too

The point is that the potential is there for a larger crowd than has been seen for many years; yet the parking options are more limited than ever. In this situation, a large number of people would drive (whether we like it or not), and I just can't see where all those cars would go.

The point is that the potential is there for a larger crowd than has been seen for many years; yet the parking options are more limited than ever. In this situation, a large number of people would drive (whether we like it or not), and I just can't see where all those cars would go.[/quote

For goodness sake Chips, don't you realise we don't want cars in Bristol! Surely you could ride your bicycle from Chippenham with your elderly father in tow? Or alternatively use the excellent Park and ride service from Avonmouth. Ok, admittedly that stops running around 8pm, but it's only a short 3 mile walk back to your motor.

I would imagine the rugby lads will be testing the parking scenarios before we do. If they hit the premiership next season they will see 16k capacities against the likes of Bath, Gloucester and leicester. If they were to stay up and build they could see some very large gates the following year because of the popularity of the sport.

Ever heard of buses ?

I've heard of them but the current service to Ashton Gate couldn't cope with large gates. Up to the late 60s / early 70s there was a good direct service to the ground from all parts of the city. (The drivers and conductors used to be allowed in free to watch the match.) Even if a better service is provided, it won't necessarily be of much use for people who travel from outlying districts.

I've heard of them but the current service to Ashton Gate couldn't cope with large gates. Up to the late 60s / early 70s there was a good direct service to the ground from all parts of the city. (The drivers and conductors used to be allowed in free to watch the match.) Even if a better service is provided, it won't necessarily be of much use for people who travel from outlying districts.

I don't have much knowledge of the current bus network but this is what I suspected and feared.

I haven't seen anywhere where the issue of public transport and/or parking for larger crowds has been considered.

Burying heads in the sand by saying it'll never sell out anyway doesn't sound like a good solution to me.

The car journey from Trowbridge is getting longer and longer and if we see crowds in excess of 20k (which we and the club should surely plan for) then it's going to be a nightmare.

I looked at the train option but I can't believe there isn't a match day bus service from temple meads to the ground. Getting the train to Parson Street is an option but there are none running before the match on Sunday (according to national rail enq). Would be ideal if there was a link up to the park and ride in Brislington.

Have transport links been discussed in the recent ground meetings?

The car journey from Trowbridge is getting longer and longer and if we see crowds in excess of 20k (which we and the club should surely plan for) then it's going to be a nightmare.

I looked at the train option but I can't believe there isn't a match day bus service from temple meads to the ground. Getting the train to Parson Street is an option but there are none running before the match on Sunday (according to national rail enq). Would be ideal if there was a link up to the park and ride in Brislington.

Have transport links been discussed in the recent ground meetings?

There is a bus service from temple meads - run by Abus.

Strikes me that it will be a complete nightmare! Seems like so many of my old regular spots (eg around the flyover/swing bridge) have now been made double yellow or permit holder only (from the residents point of view I do understand the latter). This season we've found it harder than ever and some games have ended up paying, something we've always managed to avoid in the past.

What is the plan when the number attending is (potentially) doubled? Are there plans to increase the amount of public transport to the stadium in line with the increased capacity? Under the present circumstances I would be reluctant to even consider driving to a sold out match in the new ground.

Yes i agree that parking 5 mins from the ground is not easy these days ,

radiate out 10 to 15 mins from the ground , parking is simple

myself , i would cross the suspension bridge on my hands and knees to get down the gate ,

people who might be put off going because its hard to park, are customers , not fans

a sad indictment of the times i'm afraid .

Best stay at home fella  :facepalm:

Archived