IGNORED

Parking With 27K Capacity

ChippenhamRed

The North to south metrobus should be in place by 2017. Should stop by east st, expect a lot will use this if parking is major issue.

Can see new ground bringing back stay away fans so expecting big attendances to start, if we're successful they'll keep coming!

Morning All. Had a quick read read of some of the comments on here. As part of the planning permission Ashton Gate Ltd (AGL) would have been required to submit a transport assessment and travel plan for an application of this size. The council would not have been able to give planning permission had AGL not done so as they would have been vulnerable to appeal on grounds of sustainability, which is a requirement in the National Planning Policy Framework, which I think is tied in to the Planning Act. The transport assessment and travel plan for any application will be available on the local authority's website, AGLs is available here:

http://planningonline.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/files/E655C7A408DA7E022E0213C1077BEAA5/pdf/13_03517_F-TA___TP_-_A_TRANSPORT_ASSESS._TRAVEL_PLAN__MAIN_TEXT_ONLY_-1036230.pdf

Hope the link works. AGL have committed to reducing single occupancy car use as mode choice to games from current level of 32% to 25% at full proposed capacity (26,500/27,000). This will be achieved by increasing other mode shares such as public transport/cycling. Measures include the introduction of a new bus service from Bris which it looks as though Abus have committed to operating. Other measures are outlined in chapter 10 of the link above. After a quick scan I think there is also reference to the metrobus which should be stopping close to AG.

The council would have sought approval from their highway officers who would have considered the proposed mitigation (detailed in the transport assessment and travel plan) adequate to minimise impact on the local road network, that includes traffic levels and on street parking.

I'd recommend a read of the link above (if you're bored!) but also the other docs on the planning pages including designs etc although these can be changed via non-material amendments which are further planning permissions to change bits of the detailed planning permission! All 103 docs relating to planning application ref 13/03517/F can be found here:

http://planningonline.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MQQTQYDN00J00

I hope this is of some use.

Why not build a multi storie car park behind the South stand on the existing car park ? Not to high to upset the locals, 4 or 5 stories high would = 4 x the parking spaces

Sounds sensible if the cost implications are ok. There would have to be a return on the investment, but if the club developed non match day events, there could be a good business case for it. All we need is a good on-site car park, a park and ride scheme, better bus services and a new rail station opened and it's sorted. I'm fairly confident that things City control can be achieved, but anything dependant on local councils is a different matter.

The North to south metrobus should be in place by 2017. Should stop by east st, expect a lot will use this if parking is major issue.

Can see new ground bringing back stay away fans so expecting big attendances to start, if we're successful they'll keep coming!

A new metro bus will run from Hengrove via Bishopsworth/Withywood to Ashton Gate and on to the Centre.

I'm actually surprised the authorities haven't insisted that City provide more parking spaces with the increased capacity.

If you build a supermarket or concert hall now...I understand you have to provide a minimum.

The public transport for games is appalling.

Evening games I have to leave early to get the train back.

Taxis are too bloody expensive. The bus doesn't go anywhere near where I need to go.

Plus you can gaurantee that any train service wouldn't put enough carriages on.

The only option is to drive for me. And parking on the streets is now at a premium.

I have no problem walking. Been walking in from the far side of Cumberland basin for years. Point is it's getting harder and harder to park with ever increasing restrictions,and yet the stadium is getting bigger. That is a potential problem and a reasonable discussion point.

It would be much better if you could add something constructive to the discussion instead of throwing cheap insults.

sorry precious,didn't realise i insulted you. :innocent06:

• Admin

Depends at what level we are playing. I'm still of the thought that Bristol Sport will be used to help us best navigate the restrictions of FFP in the Championship & if we manage to get up this season would reasonably expect SL/SC to establish us as a midtable side. That means on occasions we will test the 16k limit next season (given larger away followings), not just the rugby. Start pushing for the play offs and mid 20k attendances become a possibility for some top fixtures.

Depends at what level we are playing. I'm still of the thought that Bristol Sport will be used to help us best navigate the restrictions of FFP in the Championship & if we manage to get up this season would reasonably expect SL/SC to establish us as a midtable side. That means on occasions we will test the 16k limit next season (given larger away followings), not just the rugby. Start pushing for the play offs and mid 20k attendances become a possibility for some top fixtures.

I can see Bristol Rugby pulling in 12,000/13,000 crowds quiet easily if they get in the Prem.

A lot of people I know living around Clifton said they would start going more, now it is at the Gate.

I also know a lot of people who have stopped going to football, and now attend games at Bath and Bristol Rugby.

Generally blokes in their 40's who don't suffer fools gladly anymore, and won't be treated like a third class citizen.

I go to both Football and Rugby...and must admit...I prefer watching football...but much prefer the atmosphere at Rugby...just chillin with a pint and no stewards or knobhead fans behaving like little hitlers and complete *****.

I can see Bristol Rugby pulling in 12,000/13,000 crowds quiet easily if they get in the Prem.

A lot of people I know living around Clifton said they would start going more, now it is at the Gate.

I also know a lot of people who have stopped going to football, and now attend games at Bath and Bristol Rugby.

Generally blokes in their 40's who don't suffer fools gladly anymore, and won't be treated like a third class citizen.

I go to both Football and Rugby...and must admit...I prefer watching football...but much prefer the atmosphere at Rugby...just chillin with a pint and no stewards or knobhead fans behaving like little hitlers and complete *****.

Exactly how I feel. I have always preferred football and City always took priority over Bris if a date clashed or finance tight. But in my twilight years I can now enjoy them both at Ashton Gate.

Football more exciting but great atmosphere and ambience at rugby where all fans respect each other.

Exactly how I feel. I have always preferred football and City always took priority over Bris if a date clashed or finance tight. But in my twilight years I can now enjoy them both at Ashton Gate.

Football more exciting but great atmosphere and ambience at rugby where all fans respect each other.

It has crossed my mind in recent years...that there is definitely an older demograph at football matches these days.

The number of fans that want to jump around, sing and chant, is far less than it used to be.

The Williams for example is very similar to a Rugby crowd. Apart from the corner section.

I definitely have turned into what would be considered 'the prawn sandwich brigade'...and am really looking forward to when AG has a box to watch the game from, and be fed and watered in comfort.

I'll probably get slagged off for that, as do much of the people who sit in the Premier seating...but many now don't want to jump around drunk...they just want to watch the game and enjoy.

Nobody ever slags off the directors box for not 'going mental'...but they often fail to see that many people who watch the game, are often just like those directors...just directors and businessmen of other businesses...who can't be seen to be 'going mental' if clients are with them, or may be seen in the media or on tv...who would take you seriously? If you get my drift...

I really do hope we get to a point where football fans can enjoy a pint during the game.

I'm actually surprised the authorities haven't insisted that City provide more parking spaces with the increased capacity.

If you build a supermarket or concert hall now...I understand you have to provide a minimum.

The public transport for games is appalling.

Evening games I have to leave early to get the train back.

Taxis are too bloody expensive. The bus doesn't go anywhere near where I need to go.

Plus you can gaurantee that any train service wouldn't put enough carriages on.

The only option is to drive for me. And parking on the streets is now at a premium.

Funny that, old red trousers hasnt provided ANY parking spaces for the new arena at Temple Meads!

Generally blokes in their 40's who don't suffer fools gladly anymore, and won't be treated like a third class citizen.

I must be lucky. I've been going to matches for 40 years and have never encountered these "little Hitler" Stewards some speak of....

I must be lucky. I've been going to matches for 40 years and have never encountered these "little Hitler" Stewards some speak of....

To be fair...the majority of them are lovely.

It's only when I've been to away games I've encountered some idiots.

But that again is another reason I prefer watching in a Rugby crowd.

If I choose to go away...the majority of the time I have to go where the 'away' fans have been designated.

I don't want to watch my football from the end of a ground...which usually it is.

It's nice to have the option to buy a ticket wherever in a ground...if you get my drift.

Funny that, old red trousers hasnt provided ANY parking spaces for the new arena at Temple Meads!

Not true. There will be some for disabled users. Not only that they're not needed, as it's a short walk from the station (convenient, providing suitable trains are put on).

He's said he doesn't want the arena to be a shed in the middle of a car park, I agree with that idea. Its not just an arena their planning, their trying to create a place. Not an easy thing to do but probably best not to start with a huge car park.

They finish at 5pm during the week and most places 12 midday on a Saturday.

Clifton Residents Parking Zone times are Monday to Saturday 9am until 7pm. With a maximum stay if you pay at the machine during these hours of two hours.

So if that is replicated at Southville, Bedminster and Ashton, you cannot park there for the duration of a football match - 30 minutes before the game plus game time and time to get back to car.

Not true. There will be some for disabled users. Not only that they're not needed, as it's a short walk from the station (convenient, providing suitable trains are put on).

He's said he doesn't want the arena to be a shed in the middle of a car park, I agree with that idea. Its not just an arena their planning, their trying to create a place. Not an easy thing to do but probably best not to start with a huge car park.

So to good old Joe Public who travelling from outside Bristol i.e South Glos, Wiltshire, Over the bridge, there will be no parking at all !

He's trying to create a non-car utopia which IMO just won't work. People need all types of transport for this to work.

So to good old Joe Public who travelling from outside Bristol i.e South Glos, Wiltshire, Over the bridge, there will be no parking at all !

He's trying to create a non-car utopia which IMO just won't work. People need all types of transport for this to work.

I suppose the argument would also be get the train (or metrobus) from those places.

South Glos - several stations including those at Yate, Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbey Wood and Severn Beach. There will also be a metrobus from Emersons Green and Cribbs Causeway and Bradley Stoke on top of existing bus networks. With the proposed upgrades to rail in the Bristol area travel from here should improve.

Wiltshire - multiple stations including Chippenham and Swindon with frequent services to BTM which are being upgraded as part of electrification.

Across the bridge - Many stations including Newport, Cardiff etc with again links due to be improved through electrification.

For those who want to drive to the area, I believe there are pay and display carparks in central Bristol.

Having been to multiple events at several venues in London, Glasgow and Manchester o can say the vast majority of people travel by public transport without issues. Obviously this requires an integrated transport system which hopefully will come in Bristol.

I suppose the argument would also be get the train (or metrobus) from those places.

South Glos - several stations including those at Yate, Bristol Parkway, Filton Abbey Wood and Severn Beach. There will also be a metrobus from Emersons Green and Cribbs Causeway and Bradley Stoke on top of existing bus networks. With the proposed upgrades to rail in the Bristol area travel from here should improve.

Wiltshire - multiple stations including Chippenham and Swindon with frequent services to BTM which are being upgraded as part of electrification.

Across the bridge - Many stations including Newport, Cardiff etc with again links due to be improved through electrification.

For those who want to drive to the area, I believe there are pay and display carparks in central Bristol.

Having been to multiple events at several venues in London, Glasgow and Manchester o can say the vast majority of people travel by public transport without issues. Obviously this requires an integrated transport system which hopefully will come in Bristol.

All that aside, the original suggestion was that somebody said "If you build a supermarket or concert hall now...I understand you have to provide a minimum." ...... my point is that the arena isn't providing any spaces to Joe Public.

Parking at AG is a stupid concept, and has been for at least ten years.

THERE IS NOWHERE TO PARK AT ASHTON GATE!!!

Also, we are now 'european green city'.

"Get on your push-bikes and stop f-ing moaning, the lot of you!!"

TFR   :tomato:

Have been going down for over 30 years, Never had a problem parking off Duckmoor road up to 1 hour before KO even with past sell out crowds. 10 minute walk at most,

I've been going down for over 30 year too and the parking around the streets off Duckmoor Road gets harder and harder each season. You have to get down to the ground at least 1 hour before kick-off to park somewhere within 15 minutes walk now with gates of 13k. I agree with OP that parking if we get crowds nearer to 20k will be a nightmare and WILL put people off from attending.

A solution is needed, not just smug comments from those that live near the ground and therefore don't see it as a problem.

I live on the Eastern fringes of Bristol and there is NO direct bus service to AG available, if there was I would use it.

Archived