IGNORED

Sky Sports - Get Rid Of The Adverts

Lord Northski

So I've got Sky Sports and it costs me too much money, but I don't want to get rid of it just in case there's something I want to watch, don't suppose I'm alone there. However, what annoys me more is having to watch adverts even though I pay stupid money to Sky to watch a game. I've got Sky Movies which costs a lot too, I don't get adverts during the films, I pay a licence fee to the Beeb to watch stuff without adverts, so how come we put up with two sets of adverts during a football game that I've paid to see already? Reckon someone might say subscriptions would be even more without them, but with increased competition from BT and whoever, a broadcaster might promise no adverts to try and lure punters to them.

No adverts is the exact reason why I have no complaints about the licence fee. I watch as little commercial TV as possible or watch it recorded so I can fast forward past the ads.

I do the same. FF the ads on recorded TV is the only way to go. Unfortunately you can't do that so easily with live sports although I do sometimes pause the game and then FF at half time.

Is this really something people care about?

a couple of 2/3 minute advert breaks?

On a positive note, glad to see the ridiculous moaning culture a big chunk of our fans seem to have isn't limited to their grievances with the club, its commercial deal with Heineken or inability to deliver tickets within 2 days at Christmas time.

Honestly this post is so petty that I keep re-reading it to check it isn't a wind up! 

Is this really something people care about?

a couple of 2/3 minute advert breaks?

On a positive note, glad to see the ridiculous moaning culture a big chunk of our fans seem to have isn't limited to their grievances with the club, its commercial deal with Heineken or inability to deliver tickets within 2 days at Christmas time.

Honestly this post is so petty that I keep re-reading it to check it isn't a wind up! 

Probably not, just wonder if it had occurred to anyone to anyone else.

Agree with you on the moaning culture though. Top of the league, best footie for years, great players, great manager, best chairman of the club who's building us an amazing ground (and he's paying for it) probably should've said it before but Thanks Steve, Nice one Mate. Thanks for the ground, the pitch, the players, the manager. Much appreciated. Happy New Year

Had sky sports from the beginning of the service starting. Just given it up due to the ever increasing fees and adverts! Its like a pyramid con where the fees from existing customers are used to lure new punters in with give away deals for limited periods. No discount deals for existing customers. Match of the day and european only for me now.  :sad26:

I wouldn't be without Sky Sports (despite the adverts) Thier sports coverage in top notch especially when compared to the very twee BBC.

Personally I don't have a problem with Sky or any other pay for view organisation. If you don't like it then don't sign up. Simples.

I wouldn't be without Sky Sports (despite the adverts) Thier sports coverage in top notch especially when compared to the very twee BBC.

Personally I don't have a problem with Sky or any other pay for view organisation. If you don't like it then don't sign up. Simples

I agree Sky Sports does provide great coverage, that's not up for debate. The point, albeit minor was that you're already paying for a premium service so why do we put up with adverts. I reckon its because it hasn't occurred to them that they shouldn't have to watch them, that's all. You'd agree that most of the replies on this link pretty much confirm this assumption. 

You can always watch footie online. Ok you still have ads but its free.

I don't mind ads if it's free. Just reckon that Sky are being a bit cheeky asking us to watch them as well as pay for it. Now that people are aware of this kind of double charging it may perhaps be the beginning of the end. Don't reckon Ray Winston still needs the money though, unless he's got addicted to gambling and lost it all. That would be great wouldn't it

I don't mind the adverts if the tv is free, eg ITV. Just renewed my Tv licence, how much??!! I think I'd be prepared to watch a few adverts and have it for free, thanks very much.

With Sky/BT though there has always been adverts so it's just accepted, but it get the point that it shouldn't be. Lately now they seem to have squeezed an extra advert in here and there, more ad breaks, or the breaks have become longer. Take all the ad breaks out of an hour of recorded tv and it surprising how short it is.

What I do hate though is the constant recapping of the last 20 seconds of a programme after the ad break, I am not a goldfish I can retain memory! It's even worse for some US imports, they must have breaks where we don't and the programme recaps when it doesn't need to. Grrrr.

I agree Sky Sports does provide great coverage, that's not up for debate. The point, albeit minor was that you're already paying for a premium service so why do we put up with adverts. I reckon its because it hasn't occurred to them that they shouldn't have to watch them, that's all. You'd agree that most of the replies on this link pretty much confirm this assumption.

Without the revenue Sky get from advertising the price to the paying customer would be prohibitive to the average man in the street.

It ain't rocket science.

Without the revenue Sky get from advertising the price to the paying customer would be prohibitive to the average man in the street.

It ain't rocket science.

No. Without the revenue Sky get from advertising the clubs world have to play their players slightly less ridiculous wages. Sky set their rates to optimise income, which means not charging more than the market will bear.

Bang on. I refuse to watch ads on TV when I pay for the service. I simply close my eyes.

Likewise, another thing that really gets my goat as having paid vehicle duty, I have to endure road side ads and bill boards when I am driving. Again, the solution is to close my eyes. That will show them.

Archived