IGNORED

Football Special

PeterStyvarsRightFoot

That takes me back to the 60's and 70's. A football special from Parsons street station to Leicester, Middlesbourgh and Sunderland,. Happy days.

Were you on the first or second train to Leicester? The second got to Leicester at 3.20 and the match was abandoned at half time.

And Sunderland? It was freezing on that train. The loco broke down at the back of Birmingham City's ground for two hours in the middle of the night. And we lost 1-6. Great days out.

Were you on the first or second train to Leicester? The second got to Leicester at 3.20 and the match was abandoned at half time.

And Sunderland? It was freezing on that train. The loco broke down at the back of Birmingham City's ground for two hours in the middle of the night. And we lost 1-6. Great days out.

I was on that second Leicester train. It also p#ssed down all day.

Don't you work in rail? Maybe you could ask around see if it's possible

Was the plan. Was going to see how many would be up for it. Then show this if it gets anywhere to my boss and speak with others and see where and what we could arrange! Would love a train from Parsons street ( most likely a Weston train) stopping at BTM, parkway and up that way...

I must have been on the 1st as I  remember watching the ko and then the fog rolling in past the big steam chimneys. Leicester won the re match and I think went on to lose to Spurs in the final.

• Admin

Was the plan. Was going to see how many would be up for it. Then show this if it gets anywhere to my boss and speak with others and see where and what we could arrange! Would love a train from Parsons street ( most likely a Weston train) stopping at BTM, parkway and up that way...

Shame FGW didn't realise that there was a game on last Sunday

First train didn't get there until after kick off, first train after match was 7pm

Also hopefully they are aware that City / Rovers and Xmas shoppers will be catching the stopping services this Saturday

ive been to swalec in cardiff to watch cricket, pulled into parkway and it was rammed a few squeezed on but many had to catch next train or drive, i had my lad with me who would have been frightened, so fgw kindly sent us over in a taxi, i was a lucky one , got in the cab the driver only had a rovers top on  :gasmask: .  i spoke to the staff who were quite good apparently they told them england were playing and to put extra trains on but didnt listen !! hopefully if we get to wembley there will be enough trains to get us there and back .

i think i will play it safe and book a mini bus from portishead 

If we go to Wembley. How many could we get on the train??? And reckon we could get enough to sell out a football special? ( just an idea!)

The average HST from Temple Meads - Paddington has eight carriages. 80 items of self loading freight (passengers) per carriage = 640 fans. Therefore we could and would sell out a football special, but to transport 30,000 fans, you need 47 trains without any other "normal" passengers on. First Great Western have just over fifty complete trains to run their normal long distance services, so at most, they could only run a few specials.

I've just read the club's history. For the 1909 Cup Final, in addition to their normal service, the GWR ran dozens of extra trains to transport all the City fans heading to London for the Final.

The British Transport Police say they would welcome Football Specials as then they only have to watch one train, not all of them. Chelsea run Specials to several away games per season and even arrange for one of the private companies to provide a blue coloured engine.

I must have been on the 1st as I remember watching the ko and then the fog rolling in past the big steam chimneys. Leicester won the re match and I think went on to lose to Spurs in the final.

Foggy but also lashed it down all day. The puddles before kick off were enormous and by half time it resembled a boating lake.

We lost 5-0 the following Tuesday and yes Lesta went to the Cup Final.

Archived