IGNORED

Bit Of A Pisser...

spudski

I remember his name being banded about on here, but how many would have said it's madness if we spent that money on him. Ok we might have got him cheaper a few years ago, but he's only 19 now so just as much a gamble on a 16/17 year old.

Well done Exeter for bringing him though and getting more money than they've ever seen. Quite a gamble for Swansea too as they want him to play now.

I remember his name being banded about on here, but how many would have said it's madness if we spent that money on him. Ok we might have got him cheaper a few years ago, but he's only 19 now so just as much a gamble on a 16/17 year old.

Well done Exeter for bringing him though and getting more money than they've ever seen. Quite a gamble for Swansea too as they want him to play now.

we could have had him for a minimum fee.

will he be like Nick Powell and disapear?

The club may well of been aware of him but the player actually has to want to move as well

then you have the agent whispering in his ear telling him to wait for the big club

many factors as too why teams don't take players on,

Good luck to him but it may be the last time we hear about him for 5 years while he rots in a bigger clubs reserve side like so many other youngsters have

Then again it could just be press talk at the time of year where agents let things slip to drum up business for their client so they can get a nice fat signing on fee

• Admin

At 19 he's already better than Pack and Bobby Reis. BCFC have been alerted to his talents but remained uninterested.

Based on what?, at present he has not acheived anything in the game apart from playing for a side in the basement, IF he was that good a player would someone in a higher league not already have taken a punt on him?

I am also sure we are not the only side to have looked at him and decided that he was not the right signing

Based on what?, at present he has not acheived anything in the game apart from playing for a side in the basement, IF he was that good a player would someone in a higher league not already have taken a punt on him?

I am also sure we are not the only side to have looked at him and decided that he was not the right signing

Based on City scouts having recommended him to the club for the last year, scouts who have watched him several times and believe him to be better than Pack and Reid, scouts whose opinion is trustworthy.

Never mind the fact Pack and Reid didn't get anywhere near playing for England U20s.  

Never mind the fact Premier league clubs were aware of him and watching him before City, and have now taken that punt, whilst City's response has been "not interested". 

In short, a kid on our doorstep who's an age group international has just been bought by a Premier league club for nearly two millon quid and we weren't interested, even though the club's own scouts have been banging on about him.

Fair play if you don't find that as frustrating me.

Read all about it in our next issue - I'll have one for you Monday in case you don't pick it up tomorrow. 

PS.  This isn't a pointless moan for moaning's sake. Just a reality check, pointing out that while the garden is rosier than it's been for a long time, not all the flowers are bloomin lovely.

Based on City scouts having recommended him to the club for the last year, scouts who have watched him several times and believe him to be better than Pack and Reid, scouts whose opinion is trustworthy.

Never mind the fact Pack and Reid didn't get anywhere near playing for England U20s.  

Never mind the fact Premier league clubs were aware of him and watching him before City, and have now taken that punt, whilst City's response has been "not interested". 

In short, a kid on our doorstep who's an age group international has just been bought by a Premier league club for nearly two millon quid and we weren't interested, even though the club's own scouts have been banging on about him.

Read all about it in our next issue - I'll have one for you Monday in case you don't pick it up tomorrow. 

PS.  This isn't a pointless moan for moaning's sake. Just a reality check, pointing out that while the garden is rosier than it's been for a long time, not all the flowers are bloomin lovely.

we haven't got an endless pot of money to spend on players that could be great,

We could of signed him for 400k before he made his exeter debut and he could of gone to our acadmney and gone for **** all due to EPPP,

Its a gamble a complete gamble,

as for the comment about england, Lita and Marvin Brown played for england at youth lvl doesn't make them top footballers,

It a total gamble that the club can't really afford while we are languasing in the lower leagues, we don't get 60 million in tv money to take the gamble Swansea do

Who's call was it to not follow up our scouts recommendation?

OP states he's been on the radar for 2 years so SOD would have been aware of him, as would Burt and more recently Cotterill.

Or was it a financial decision by the money men?

It's a slight worry that, if he's as good as obviously Swansea think, potentially 3 of our "football men" deem him as not worth signing.

Who's call was it to not follow up our scout's recommendation?

OP states he's been on the radar for 2 years so SOD would have been aware of him, as would Burt and more recently Cotterill.

Or was it a financial decision by the money men?

It's a slight worry that, if he's as good as obviously Swansea think, potentially 3 of our "football men" deem him as not worth signing.

its a gamble swansea can afford to take because of the riches of the prem,

we could sign him and he could turn out like many of the other young players who were meant to be the next big thing, John Akindie was prob fresh in the minds

we could sign him and he could turn out like many of the other young players who were meant to be the next big thing, John Akindie was prob fresh in the minds

Yeah I get the financial aspect, just wondered if it was a finance or football decision.

From what I understand - we have been aware of him for a couple of years - WAY before he was sold for around 2 million. The argument here is that should we have picked him up for a lot less a while back?

Yes, he could turn out to not live up to expectation but then again he might be great. What people are saying is that we could have taken a chance on him for when it would have been cheap to do so and there would have been a lot less risk.

I hope our youngsters are being taught the football is more important than the result. Every time I've looked recently they seem to have lost!

At that age, it is. One of the reasons England football is such carp is result-oriented coaching at the youth level. The big buggers get selected and the smaller, more skilful players don't.

From what I understand - we have been aware of him for a couple of years - WAY before he was sold for around 2 million. The argument here is that should we have picked him up for a lot less a while back?

Yes, he could turn out to not live up to expectation but then again he might be great. What people are saying is that we could have taken a chance on him for when it would have been cheap to do so and there would have been a lot less risk.

but he must of gone through 3 different managers in that time, it says something if all of them aren't willing to take the gamble,

he also would of gone through Tinman, and Pemberton as well,

While it may not of been 2 million anything over 200k would of been deamed too expensive at the time as we were trying to reduce costs left right and centre,

The point I'm trying to make is its not of simple as "we've missed out", there are many mitigating factors in it,

The player and agent may only be intrested in a prem club being one

outside our wage budget you players of his age being another,

or many coaches at the club don't rate him as highly as fans,

Issue of what...if it's a fanzine, is there anyway I can subscribe and get one by post??

Define 'we'?, obviously the the scouts rated him, so who were 'we', coaches?, Burt?, successive managers?, who?.

For what it's worth....

Exeter haven't got a pot to piss in, and Tisdale has done a wonderful job there

Say City got in touch and offered (plucking these out of thin air) 50k now, another 50k after 25 apps, 100k after 50 etc etc etc, 10% sell on blah blah blah

Exeter, working with this kid day in day out, and knowing how good he is aren't going to go for a deal like that. Ok, he could pick up an injury and be out of the game by 20, that's a gamble all clubs take. He's playing week in, week out, if he's as good as they think he is some day a PL club will come along and offer mindblowing money to them, and at the same time barely notice the money is missing

Grimes, presumably, is happy playing week in, week out at Exeter, so why would he want to come to City? He can keep playing, move to a bigger club and probably spend next season on loan in the Championship. Good move for him

We can't buy every player we're interested in. And if anyone is slagging of SC / KB for not moving for him, despite us not having 2m to piss up the wall on a young lad, look at the dealings they've already done

We're doing ok, people

For what it's worth....

Exeter haven't got a pot to piss in, and Tisdale has done a wonderful job there

Say City got in touch and offered (plucking these out of thin air) 50k now, another 50k after 25 apps, 100k after 50 etc etc etc, 10% sell on blah blah blah

Exeter, working with this kid day in day out, and knowing how good he is aren't going to go for a deal like that. Ok, he could pick up an injury and be out of the game by 20, that's a gamble all clubs take. He's playing week in, week out, if he's as good as they think he is some day a PL club will come along and offer mindblowing money to them, and at the same time barely notice the money is missing

Grimes, presumably, is happy playing week in, week out at Exeter, so why would he want to come to City? He can keep playing, move to a bigger club and probably spend next season on loan in the Championship. Good move for him

We can't buy every player we're interested in. And if anyone is slagging of SC / KB for not moving for him, despite us not having 2m to piss up the wall on a young lad, look at the dealings they've already done

We're doing ok, people

Woodsy - yes we are doing ok, just making the point we could be doing even better!

I've just sent you a PM re your earlier post asking about the fanzine

Archived