IGNORED

Hi Ho Silver Lining

BCFChris

Harmless. I don't know why people get wound up by it.

Rather hear that over the PA than the "urban" radio one crap we get most of the time.

The Trophy final wound me up.  Piss poor, I  would have hoped the club would have passed on the relevant song, but maybe they don't get to choose.

if people want to sing it I have no problem, but it certainly isn't the club anthem

The Trophy final wound me up. Piss poor, I would have hoped the club would have passed on the relevant song, but maybe they don't get to choose.

if people want to sing it I have no problem, but it certainly isn't the club anthem

Agreed. But today at AG I enjoyed it a damn site more than the caterwauling nonsense that followed it.

It must be a generational thing. It was one of those songs that got played at the end of every party/disco back in the seventies, and whilst not musical genius it has a good hook and got people on the dancefloor. A bit like the Slade Christmas song.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like it before now - it crossed all boundaries and that's probably why it ended up being sung at football grounds too.

I still like it, but then I'm old.

It must be a generational thing. It was one of those songs that got played at the end of every party/disco back in the seventies, and whilst not musical genius it has a good hook and got people on the dancefloor. A bit like the Slade Christmas song.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like it before now - it crossed all boundaries and that's probably why it ended up being sung at football grounds too.

I still like it, but then I'm old.

I enjoyed it in the 70's, especially the weekly ritual of outsinging the Rovers fans at Tiffany's.

However, it's been a Wolves song for decades, has nothing at all to do with BCFC, and playing it at Wembley as 'our' song was embarrassing and disgraceful.

We are blessed as a club to have a fantastic array of songs unique to Bristol City, let's concentrate on playing them in the pre match build up.

Does anyone know why it's played?

I don't know what the connection is with the club, if there is one.

No connection as far as I know Screech.

I remember first hearing it at AG in the mid 90s, I think it was before a pre season friendly. The guy on the PA system was instructing people how to chant along with it. I remember thinking "**** me this is SHIT, I hope they don't do this again".

So here we are nearly 20 years later....

The point , missed by some , at Wembley against Stoke they played a song for each club.

Delialah for them and, bizarrely , for us Hi ho silver lining. Not drink up thee cider which had been sung for years , but the end of night song sung by everyone everywhere.

I don't know who or why but it was strange in the extreme, noy saying that Hiho isn't a fun song , or that we don't sing  along too it  but.

It was played as 'OUR' song which it most definitely not. 

I enjoyed it in the 70's, especially the weekly ritual of outsinging the Rovers fans at Tiffany's.

However, it's been a Wolves song for decades, has nothing at all to do with BCFC, and playing it at Wembley as 'our' song was embarrassing and disgraceful.

We are blessed as a club to have a fantastic array of songs unique to Bristol City, let's concentrate on playing them in the pre match build up.

Another Tiffany's veteran here! As ever, North Bristol Reds taking it to Rovers while our South Bristol Friends stayed in their strongholds on the other side of the river :-)

Mind you, Saturday nights at Redland Tennis Club was a bit of a different matter on occasions.

The point , missed by some , at Wembley against Stoke they played a song for each club.

Delialah for them and, bizarrely , for us Hi ho silver lining. Not drink up thee cider which had been sung for years , but the end of night song sung by everyone everywhere.

I don't know who or why but it was strange in the extreme, noy saying that Hiho isn't a fun song , or that we don't sing  along too it  but.

It was played as 'OUR' song which it most definitely not. 

The point was not missed by me, hence my post (3): in fact, that was the point of my post.

A wonderful rendition, it must be said, of Delilah by the Stoke fans, but waiting to sing our song, Drink up thee Cider, at our Cup Final, along come the first notes of Hi Ho Silver Lining - a song that I enjoyed back in the day, but not today, at my Cup Final!

The point was not missed by me, hence my post (3): in fact, that was the point of my post.

A wonderful rendition, it must be said, of Delilah by the Stoke fans, but waiting to sing our song, Drink up thee Cider, at our Cup Final, along come the first notes of Hi Ho Silver Lining - a song that I enjoyed back in the day, but not today, at my Cup Final!

Absolutely spot on Phil.

Down with that sort of thing .

Archived