IGNORED

Thierry Henry Retires

Robbored

If you think in just Premier League terms -

1. Eric Cantona was a more influential player

2. Dennis Bergkamp was a more talented player

Henry was a very very good player but to say he was remorseful about his handball cheating?
Please. Watch him celebrate at the 90th min France's qualification which came about from his blatent cheating.

He found the remorse after the game when the world was appalled.

Fair enough. Each to their own.

But would you care if it had been against another team? For instance if it had meant Italy or Germany hadn't qualified would you even still remember it? This wasn't Suarez at the world cup- it was a qualifier and it would have probably completely passed under the radar here if it hadn't have involved Ireland.

I consider Maradona a great despite the hand of god, I consider Messi a great despite imitating the hand of god on a couple of occasions, I consider Ronaldo a great despite producing a horrific dive against Celta Vigo the othe rweek. I would say Rivaldo is up there despite what he did against Turkey. In the English game I would say Ian Rush was one of the greatest all time goal scorers but I remember watching him deliberately blocking off Brian Gunn so John Barnes could tap in against Norwich.

these are just players i remember watching play and I'm sure I could list more and I'm just as sure that if I was to go further back there would be just as many of these types of indiscretions. Whilst not trying to defend any of these actions I find it over the top to ignore everything else that a player was for one incident. 

Henry, Savage, Ronaldo, Maradona, that bloke at Swinetown who got Wade Elliot sent off, despise all of them as cheating ****ers no matter how great anybody says they are as players.

And to answer your point yes they are still cheating ****ers if they're playing for City or England. Never regarded Owen in the same way again after his dive in the World Cup that got us a penalty.

I'll say again Atyeo and Bradford didn't do that sort of stuff

and it's over the top in my book to conveniently forget something so blatantly wrong.

Henry, Savage, Ronaldo, Maradona, that bloke at Swinetown who got Wade Elliot sent off, despise all of them as cheating ****ers no matter how great anybody says they are as players.

And to answer your point yes they are still cheating ****ers if they're playing for City or England. Never regarded Owen in the same way again after his dive in the World Cup that got us a penalty.

I'll say again Atyeo and Bradford didn't do that sort of stuff

and it's over the top in my book to conveniently forget something so blatantly wrong.

I didn't say to forget it- I said to weigh it up against everything else that they are/were as players.

I'm not defending their actions. Henry's handball was cheating and as a media darling he didn't get anywhere near the abuse he deserved. But personally I'm not going to forget about the player who scored some of the greatest goals of the last 20 years over one incident when weighed up against 100.

Apologises if I offended it was not my intention. But one last question, if Henry had been offside, knew he was offside as it wasn't a close call, yet played on and scored would you say that was as bad? Or would you say play to the whistle?

I didn't say to forget it- I said to weigh it up against everything else that they are/were as players.

I'm not defending their actions. Henry's handball was cheating and as a media darling he didn't get anywhere near the abuse he deserved. But personally I'm not going to forget about the player who scored some of the greatest goals of the last 20 years over one incident when weighed up against 100.

Apologises if I offended it was not my intention. But one last question, if Henry had been offside, knew he was offside as it wasn't a close call, yet played on and scored would you say that was as bad? Or would you say play to the whistle?

Well there's lies and lies aren't there? There's bare-faced, brass-necked, massive great whoppers and there's tiddlers. They're not the same are they? Depends on the damage they do? Blair/Iraq ........  that's a lovely drawing darling? 

Raheem Sterling deliberately handled the ball today to go around the Arsenal keeper and set up a chance that Gerrard missed.

So, judging by comments on here, it doesn't matter what he achieves from here on in his career, he should just be branded a cheat?

I can see both sides of this argument so I'm not saying I think today should overshadow the rest of his achievements but I do hate cheating.

Do we really just have to accept it's a part of modern sport and move on?

Snooker players seem happy to admit when they 'foul' before it's called!

I'm gonna clutch at that straw!!!

Happy Xmas to you all....!

Archived