IGNORED

The Official Crewe Alexandra V Bristol City Match Day Thread.

I can't comment, I listened to the radio commentary, but I wasn't there so I wouldn't know, but we had enough chances to make what we had count and we didn't. That we can't blame on a referee. 

The fact their player didnt get a second yellow followed by the red is......

A month ago - successive defeats to Swindle and Preston, people saying our bubble had burst.

Now - Won four, lost one, since then and only conceded once today with ten men. Yes performances havent been the best and other teams are flying but who is still top? Us!

The developing picture is that expectations are getting higher and higher the longer we are at the top. At the start of the thread, people were predicting 4-0 wins.. Due to some bad luck and undoubtably a decent performance by Crewe, that didnt happen and the same people are throwing their toys out of the pram and saying we are doomed. Our fanbase really hack me off sometimes.

Bring on Yeovil.

I admire your positivity focussing purely on us. I prefer to look at the bigger picture. Top of the league we are, but staying there is currently out of our hands (MK Dons game in hand), and the gap between 1st and 4th is now a single point. Not a comfortable statistic.

I can't comment, I listened to the radio commentary, but I wasn't there so I wouldn't know, but we had enough chances to make what we had count and we didn't. That we can't blame on a referee.

The fact we played the 2nd half with ten men we can.

The goal coming from a free kick of their player pulling backs ours we can.

Ayling ran the length of the pitch after the goal to remonstrate that exact point.

We should have put our chances away in the first half no question and I'm not actually one for blaming refs normally but that today was the worst I've ever seen.

Every internet betting site suspends betting if there is a dangerous free kick/penalty etc.. Kachina missed Aizoons original point about the suspension in betting 10min before the game.

Quite possibly slashed the odds from 5/1 to 11/4 because Citys squad are suffering from this flu bug. 

Hi Dark,

The coupon price was 5/2,

It was differing between 2/1 and 5/2 , with a stand out 16/5 with 888 Sport.

What would have happened is during an update, Bet365 through computer error published the price at 5/1 rather than 5/2.

The market then basically is too far out, as because of the percentage overround you would have been able to arb and generate a profit, which basically means the 5/1 was a wrong published price and any bets that were placed at this would have been deemed taken in error and voided under Palpable error which bookmakers can and will use.

They would have been alerted to this by a trader, or odds compiler or as often the case, an unusual increased volume of bets.

From this they would suspend the market until they work out what bets would have to be voided and recalculate the market.

At which the game was 12 minutes played when they reopened the market, which at that stage Bet365 pushed Crewe out to 11/4 in play from the 5/2 pre kick off price, basically because it was 0-0 after 12 minutes. 

But this above would be the most likely and probable reason of a market being suspended and after what Aizon said about the 5/1 makes sense regarding bookmaker procedures. 

Well, I imagine we missed Bryan's runs and crosses, when Wade goes off our mf creativity plummets, and as we've seen already this season, we struggle with 10 men.

If we had to lose someone, I am thinking Williams would be my preferred candidate: he's been below par for weeks.

Now hopefully everyone gets fit and we get Osbourne back in the team for Yeovil.

Incidentally, I don't know anyone who thinks we don't need to strengthen in January. Our first choice XI is great, but there's no depth in squad and our second string players have shown from their cameos and cup games that they just aren't good enough to provide the cover we need if we're to go up automatically.

• Like 2

If we are having a blip, rather it happens now than when the transfer window has 'slammed' shut.

Without question we must bring in some quality during the window. Agree with others that Smith is not what we need. We need one or two who know where the net is, and I would like another strong attacking midfielder...but we may only get one player in as Lansdown doesn't like the January transfer window much.

Bryan and Elliott are definitely our most creative players along with Korey Smith. Losing two thirds of this really doesn't help the team but we still had the chances in the game to get something from it, both before and after a red card for our defender. Kieren Agard missing from 7 yards out, and not even finding the target is inexcusable for a striker at this level.

Crewe came out to do a job and done it. People whinge when teams play rough against us, Preston done it, Swindon done it, oh and guess what Crewe done it as well. What do we do, blame the ref and whinge, and as a result, we lost all three of these games. As a team we have to give as good as we get, but we are too soft, too inviting for teams and we don't get stuck in and roughen up teams. If you play physical against us, we are beatable, and more teams are seeing this now.

Bryan and Elliott are definitely our most creative players along with Korey Smith. Losing two thirds of this really doesn't help the team but we still had the chances in the game to get something from it, both before and after a red card for our defender. Kieren Agard missing from 7 yards out, and not even finding the target is inexcusable for a striker at this level.

Crewe came out to do a job and done it. People whinge when teams play rough against us, Preston done it, Swindon done it, oh and guess what Crewe done it as well. What do we do, blame the ref and whinge, and as a result, we lost all three of these games. As a team we have to give as good as we get, but we are too soft, too inviting for teams and we don't get stuck in and roughen up teams. If you play physical against us, we are beatable, and more teams are seeing this now.

Think that is just to simplistic. Other teams have tried that on and we have beaten them. The even simplier reason we lost to Preston and Crewe. is failing to score when we really should have done. It happens.

Without question we must bring in some quality during the window. Agree with others that Smith is not what we need. We need one or two who know where the net is, and I would like another strong attacking midfielder...but we may only get one player in as Lansdown doesn't like the January transfer window much.

He didn't mind it last year

JET should not play for City again, get rid and get a decent striker in to replace him.

:

Why is it he seems to have such support/fans on here yet everyone I've ever chatted to at games agrees he is a lazy pr1ck and is a liability.

He showed today by trying to shoot instead of squaring to unmarked Wilbraham and Smith how he sees the world.

Get rid of him.

Edited by Aussie

Believe Smith will come good, general fitness and match fitness totally different.

Once match fit he will be a right handful.

Hope he stays on til end of season and I'd like to think he would get 10-15 if he does.

That said, we do need another striker, pacey/poacher type.

Wilbs/Agard

Smith/Doyle (hopefully)

Keep the faith, not all doom and gloom.

Very hard league to get out of, with the right signings, be it perm or loan (3 needed-striker CM and CB) we will go up as champions.

Personally think with SC Flint and most of the squad mentality, we will do what's necessary

Hi Dark,

The coupon price was 5/2,

It was differing between 2/1 and 5/2 , with a stand out 16/5 with 888 Sport.

What would have happened is during an update, Bet365 through computer error published the price at 5/1 rather than 5/2.

The market then basically is too far out, as because of the percentage overround you would have been able to arb and generate a profit, which basically means the 5/1 was a wrong published price and any bets that were placed at this would have been deemed taken in error and voided under Palpable error which bookmakers can and will use.

They would have been alerted to this by a trader, or odds compiler or as often the case, an unusual increased volume of bets.

From this they would suspend the market until they work out what bets would have to be voided and recalculate the market.

At which the game was 12 minutes played when they reopened the market, which at that stage Bet365 pushed Crewe out to 11/4 in play from the 5/2 pre kick off price, basically because it was 0-0 after 12 minutes. 

But this above would be the most likely and probable reason of a market being suspended and after what Aizon said about the 5/1 makes sense regarding bookmaker procedures. 

I got a bet on at 5/1. Needles  to say, I am not happy that it paid out :(

Why is it he seems to have such support/fans on here yet everyone I've ever chatted to at games agrees he is a lazy pr1ck and is a liability.

He showed today by trying to shoot instead of squaring to unmarked Wilbraham and Smith how he sees the world.

Get rid of him.

That's harsh. I thought He was trying to find room for the cross and ran out. He came on and must of touched the ball 6 times and beat a man every time.

Guy oozes goals at this level and that's why people put up with the lack of running around.

In all of the games we have lost we have had chances, many, we have no converted. We only have 2 forwards, most clubs aim to have 5. Jet might as well be on loan at another club, Burns is deemed not ready. So we have 2 plus a totally inadequate Smith. We should not be surprised, and is why a few (I include myself ) were unhappy when Baldock left (I know the money was good, he is a L1 player etc) but we did not sign anyone else. We need to. We have coped so far, but it is getting harder as teams find a way to frustrate us, but if you create the number of chances we do and do not convert it will cause you to pay. Now every club needs strikers, it is why they are the big money items. How we find someone, or I think 2 players, that will either be affordable, or available is almost impossible to say. Or you are scrambling around with players like Smith, who is not fit enough, and IMHO was never good enough. Maynard from over the bridge should still be worth a loan until season end (fireworks lit) and Doyle I do hope we can get as he is playing and fit. But 2 are needed. Jet needs shifting off the wage bill as he clearly has no future with us.

Exactly right, and cotterill can blame the ref all he wants, but we need to be converting a higher percentage of chances.

Exactly right, and cotterill can blame the ref all he wants, but we need to be converting a higher percentage of chances.

We'd be creating and scoring more chances full-stop if we were playing JET more.

Now that Bryan is out injured surely Freeman should move out left and play JET behind the strikers. It seems only sensible to do so when the goals are drying up. It was all well and good earlier in the season but now that we're not scoring comfortably anymore it only makes sense to start playing the guy with 20 goals + 15 assists last season.

That's harsh. I thought He was trying to find room for the cross and ran out. He came on and must of touched the ball 6 times and beat a man every time.

Guy oozes goals at this level and that's why people put up with the lack of running around.

He was shooting from what I could see which ricocheted off their man for the corner.

Wilbraham reaction told you what the others thought.

I'm not making this into a slagging session on the one guy but today confirmed to me he had to go.

What did you think of the ref's decision making today then?

Because every single person around where I was sat thought the same as I do.

If you don't see he caused numerous issues I just wonder what game you watched.

What did you think of the ref's decision making today then?

Because every single person around where I was sat thought the same as I do.

If you don't see he caused numerous issues I just wonder what game you watched.

Yes the ref was very poor, but that doesn't excuse all the chances we squandered.  We should have been out of sight by half time and it was the same against Crawley.  We have gone completely off the boil up front.

I do watch the games, no need for that dig. Maybe you should be reminded we have kept 4 clean sheets in a row, in which Williams has played every game. Yes his distribution can be bad and he takes the odd long shot but defensively I have absolutely no worries with him.

Sorry if it came over as a dig Aaron, a rushed reply in a hectic match thread.

My opinion of Williams is he has been a notable weak link on many occasions this season. Poor positioning,  consistently poor passing, wild long shots when he should be playing the ball to someone who actually can shoot etc. He's well supported on this forum with (to me, surprisingly high) match ratings etc. but I find the opinion of fans around me in the ground is far less favourable.

I'm not saying he doesn't have some good points, or won't become a real asset in the future as he matures, but to me he's actually regressed this season, to the extent that I'll be surprised if a left sided defender isn't on Cotts. list of signings for January.

• Like 1

Ref only does their job, doesn't matter if they are good or bad, if you're a good team you make do with the chances you get.

First half Crewe didn't have a shot on target, we had 6 shots and only 3 of them on target.

In the 2nd half we proceeded to have again a number of shots but at most 50% on target and we failed to score. We made attacking changes when we were behind and already down to 10 men.

We should have gone into this game and gone for it from the off, but we don't have the pace up front to do so, only Agard who is rather hit and miss.

Teams like MK Dons are ruthless and are battering teams, we seem unable to do this, even when we lead by 1 or 2 goals we invite teams to play their game against us and make us vulnerable.

Maybe the players weren't 100% today with cold and flu so maybe they can be forgiven an off day, but Cotts needs to shake the team up and make additions in January or we could end up 3rd/4th before we know it and the playoffs look to have a nightmare look to it this year and we need to bring in the right sort of players or we could end up paying the price.