IGNORED

Memories ...

swampy

I found this wonderful old picture of the first City side I watched.  The first team line up with I guess reserves and youngsters alongside.  But who is the black guy next to the number 9??  

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4045/4532081450_49c072973b_z.jpg

Ray Savino and Jantzen Derrick at 7?

Second suit from the right must be Harry Dolman himself.

Steve Stacey - you're absolutely right.  Did he pre date Clyde Best who I thought was one of the first black players in the English league??  Where are they all now I wonder?? Big John RIP.

Albert Johannson at Leeds was one of the very earliest and the first black player ever to appear in the FA Cup Final - 1965 Leeds vs Liverpool

I can remember this photograph from the Evening Post. I'm sure it was designed to show City had the tallest team in the league. Savino and Peters were short and Gibson wasn't the biggest, but the average height of the team was pretty big. (Remember, people were a lot shorter in the 60s)

I found this wonderful old picture of the first City side I watched. The first team line up with I guess reserves and youngsters alongside. But who is the black guy next to the number 9??

Directors at rear in suits. Harry D in centre just forward of the rest.

2nd from left Bill Garland landlord of White Horse on West St 3rd from right Lionel Smart?

White coat is Les Bardsley

Fred Ford on his own in track suit.

Keepers 1 Gibbo on right Barry Watling? On left Bob Tooze?

2 Tony Ford and Trevor Jacobs?

3 Alec Briggs and ?

4 Chuck Drury on right Gordon Parr left Graham Tanner?

5 Jack Connor right George Showell left ?

6 Gordon Low right Trev Tainton left Geoff Merrick?

7 Ray Savino and Jantzen Derrick

8 Big John and Chris Garland (no relation to director)

9 Terry Bush right Dickie Down left Steve Stacey

10 Brian Clark right Gerry Sharpe left John Giles?

11 Lou Peters right Peter Hooper left Danny Bartley

Directors at rear in suits. Harry D in centre just forward of the rest.

2nd from left Bill Garland landlord of White Horse on West St 3rd from right Lionel Smart?

White coat is Les Bardsley

Fred Ford on his own in track suit.

Keepers 1 Gibbo on right Barry Watling? On left Bob Tooze?

2 Tony Ford and Trevor Jacobs?

3 Alec Briggs and ?

4 Chuck Drury on right Gordon Parr left Graham Tanner?

5 Jack Connor right George Showell left ?

6 Gordon Low right Trev Tainton left Geoff Merrick?

7 Ray Savino and Jantzen Derrick

8 Big John and Chris Garland (no relation to director)

9 Terry Bush right Dickie Down left Steve Stacey

10 Brian Clark right Gerry Sharpe left John Giles?

11 Lou Peters right Peter Hooper left Danny Bartley

Bloke next to Bardsley is Arthur Proudler (chap with the bucket and sponge then) went to Everton soon after.

Brilliant, brilliant picture.

Did any other club use this formation for a Squad photo. If not then it is the work of someone at City with real vision.

Excellent mate thanks to whoever found it. If that is John Giles, played basketball against him when he was at Brislington Comp and I was at St. Brendans. Terry Bush looks flipping massive don't he? And as for Chuck Drury, well brick sh1thouses used to queue up to get lessons in being hard. 

Could you see Gordon Parr, Chuck and Bush wearing gloves on the pitch?

Brilliant happy, happy days. Proper made my Christmas

I found this wonderful old picture of the first City side I watched.  The first team line up with I guess reserves and youngsters alongside.  But who is the black guy next to the number 9??  

Brings back a few memories - and a tear, to be honest. Must have got some grit in my eye :(

Steve Stacey - you're absolutely right. Did he pre date Clyde Best who I thought was one of the first black players in the English league?? Where are they all now I wonder?? Big John RIP.

My girlfriend is related to Steve Stacey. He's still living in Perth and actually came to a home game near the end of last season.

I can remember this photograph from the Evening Post. I'm sure it was designed to show City had the tallest team in the league. Savino and Peters were short and Gibson wasn't the biggest, but the average height of the team was pretty big. (Remember, people were a lot shorter in the 60s)

I know I was :noexp:

My girlfriend is related to Steve Stacey. He's still living in Perth and actually came to a home game near the end of last season.

....any truth in the story that one of the Penton family married into the Stacey's, which led to the hyphonated Stacey-Pentons, which amusingly they chose to further amalgamate upon the birth of their daughter...

The rest as they say is Bristol City OTIB history...

Anyone spotted Stacey Penton down the Gate today?

Archived