IGNORED

Ex City Ivan Sproule Sending Off Today

finbarr_in_z

I get the sarcasm but the Sponsor Pays for the name on the shirt to be seen, if players prevent that from happening then why would the sponsor bother? It's hardly a big ask of the players to keep their clothes on whilst playing is it? Especially when it helps the club who pays their insane wages..

Strangely, no sarcasm was intended in this instance.. Just for a change :)

I knew someone would :)

You would fit it with a few of our lot, there's a rather tacky, annoying 'Gasgers' flag at most of our away games these days.

I've seen that flag on a Gers website outside the infamous Louden Bar in Glasgow.

I agree, it's tacky and horrible!

I prefer my huge 'Bristol City - Partick Thistle - A Solid Bond' flag!

Don't ask!!!

Sponsorship might be the real issue, but I thought the official line against taking their shirts off was because it delays the restart. Players whipped their shirts off and ran into the crowd, shirts were lost or at least inside out. Could take a couple of minutes to sort out apparently, hence the rule.

Personally most can rip their shirts off all they want, as long as they don't wear t-shirts or those underlayers! NB: Gas players like that tramp Sinclair are exempt from this.

How about this?

I'm sorry Aussie, I just couldn't bring myself to click on the vid. For some unknown reason I absolutely despise Giggs, if I had to name one footballer I hate he would be in my top 3.(how could I narrow it down to just one). So thanks for taking the trouble to provide a link, but like Matt Smith there is better out there! :-)

I don't care what the official reasoning is for booking players for taking their shirts off, it's crept into the game relatively recently and I for one don't want to see it.

One thing Steve Jones had 100% right - the natural way to celebrate scoring a goal is to run around punching the air with joy.

It's not a time to make a spectacle of yourself, Sproule was well aware of the rules and got the punishment he deserved.

It is true and in all fairness I see why it's in place. Look at Man Utd, Chevrolet pay them 47 million to have their name on their chest, imagine United got in to a cup final or it was the final match of the season and if Utd won they'd take the title, Rooney goes through and scores and takes his shirt off... That's 47 million paid to have your name showing when that footage is shown over and over again only for the player to deny that by taking his shirt off, that must be costly to both the sponsor and the club. Then you have to ask why players even take their shirt off in the first place? If you're playing for a team then why would you take off the shirt when you score?

I'm not saying it's right to book them but they obviously need a deterent for doing it because it can cost clubs a lot of money if sponsors very angry about losing prime air time due to players taking their shirts off.

All very well but what's this got to do with the Football Association and the rules of football?

It seems the summary of a booking for removing your shirt is down to sponsors who don't like it.

So.........the referee governing body must be infiltrated by said sponsors otherwise there would be no booking for removing the shirt in celebration?

It's not as if it's a dangerous thing to do is it?

I'm pretty sure it was to do with incitement of the crowd not sponsorship.

Deemed that celebrating a goal and taking your shirt off can cause trouble. Ridiculous that this can be deemed a yellow card, typical UEFA ruling.

I'm pretty sure it was to do with incitement of the crowd not sponsorship.

Deemed that celebrating a goal and taking your shirt off can cause trouble. Ridiculous that this can be deemed a yellow card, typical UEFA ruling.

FIFA I think. Otherwise totally agree.

Weirdly, a fair few of the well known older Rovers lot are former Celtic season book holders, but yes, some of the younger lot do seem to have a bit of a love in going on Castle Grayskull's inhabitants, hopefully they will grow out of it :)

I saw some of them at Cwmbran versus Celtic in 1999. They had about 3 teeth between them and even less hair.

As for the younger lot, well they must be getting on now. I was watching Ireland on tv in Bristol during the 2002 World Cup and the tv showed a big Irish tricolour with 'Bristol City' on, which led to a large group of 20 something lads covered in Aquascutum and tattoos spouting anti-Irish and anti-City bile for the rest of the game.

Rovers fans didn't cover themselves in glory when the EDL were in town and in the aftermath of the Lee Rigby murder - you do seem to have a far right, pro Rangers following, not that I'm saying the two are mutually exclusive of course.

Archived