IGNORED

Ex City Ivan Sproule Sending Off Today

finbarr_in_z

Apparently it's to do with shirt sponsorships. It's peak airtime when a player celebrates and they don't want to lose out. Ridiculous if true.

Got a friend who has done a refereeing course recently and he told me that this is the case. Ridiculous that the rules of a sport are being affected by companies that pay to have their name on a kit.

Bloody ridiculous :( At which WC did FIFA introduce that piece of shite?

It's been in for years now.

Remember Tim Cahill picked one up for showing a t shirt supporting his brother in jail.

Ryan Giggs never got one though for running the length of the pitch swinging his shirt above his head. Though he had scored one of the best goals I've seen.

Apparently it's to do with shirt sponsorships. It's peak airtime when a player celebrates and they don't want to lose out. Ridiculous if true.

It is true and in all fairness I see why it's in place. Look at Man Utd, Chevrolet pay them 47 million to have their name on their chest, imagine United got in to a cup final or it was the final match of the season and if Utd won they'd take the title, Rooney goes through and scores and takes his shirt off... That's 47 million paid to have your name showing when that footage is shown over and over again only for the player to deny that by taking his shirt off, that must be costly to both the sponsor and the club. Then you have to ask why players even take their shirt off in the first place? If you're playing for a team then why would you take off the shirt when you score?

I'm not saying it's right to book them but they obviously need a deterent for doing it because it can cost clubs a lot of money if sponsors very angry about losing prime air time due to players taking their shirts off.

It is true and in all fairness I see why it's in place. Look at Man Utd, Chevrolet pay them 47 million to have their name on their chest, imagine United got in to a cup final or it was the final match of the season and if Utd won they'd take the title, Rooney goes through and scores and takes his shirt off... That's 47 million paid to have your name showing when that footage is shown over and over again only for the player to deny that by taking his shirt off, that must be costly to both the sponsor and the club. Then you have to ask why players even take their shirt off in the first place? If you're playing for a team then why would you take off the shirt

when you score?

I'm not saying it's right to book them but they obviously need a deterent for doing it because it can cost clubs a lot of money if sponsors very angry about losing prime

air time due to players taking their shirts off.

Blimey, for 47 million, & when you think what the top guys are paid nowadays I'd expect, no insist, that players remove their shirts in celebration after scoring......... And display f'ing great tattoos of the sponsors name right across their chests towards each stand and TV camera in the ground.! :)

Blimey, for 47 million, & when you think what the top guys are paid nowadays I'd expect, no insist, that players remove their shirts in celebration after scoring......... And display f'ing great tattoos of the sponsors name right across their chests towards each stand and TV camera in the ground.! :)

I get the sarcasm but the Sponsor Pays for the name on the shirt to be seen, if players prevent that from happening then why would the sponsor bother? It's hardly a big ask of the players to keep their clothes on whilst playing is it? Especially when it helps the club who pays their insane wages..

It seems the summary of a booking for removing your shirt is down to sponsors who don't like it.

So.........the referee governing body must be infiltrated by said sponsors otherwise there would be no booking for removing the shirt in celebration?

It's not as if it's a dangerous thing to do is it?

It seems the summary of a booking for removing your shirt is down to sponsors who don't like it.

So.........the referee governing body must be infiltrated by said sponsors otherwise there would be no booking for removing the shirt in celebration?

All the governing bodies are owned by said sponsors.

It is because the women's game is now professional and FIFA could not afford the scandal of looking like a bunch of sexists in allowing the men to take off their tops and not the women.  

Archived