IGNORED

Been To The Bookies?

Bristol Rob

Silviniaco Conti in my own opinion is a better horse this season than he has been in previous season's. I actually opposed him in the King George last time as I thought he could be vulnerable to a pacier sort.

Prior to his King George win I had his best figure as 179, which came in the previous years King George but his run at Haydock was only 2lb inferior to that run. The one thing about Silviniaco Conti that can't be argued is that he absolutely loves testing conditions and is a good 10-12lb better on a slower surface than he is on a sounder surface.

For me he ran to 183 when winning the King George and given he was eased in the closing stages this figure could be increased to around 185/186 which would be close to 10lb better than he has ran to previously.

Those who say he is not suited to Cheltenham I feel are very harsh on him. On his first visit to Cheltenham he was running in the International Hurdle over an inadequate 2m dropping back in trip having earlier that season won over 2m 4f in the Persian War & The Ascot Hurdle at Chepstow and Ascot. That day he was beaten for speed keeping on in workman like fashion behind Cue Card and Menorah who whilst high class hurdlers are not in the same ilk as Silviniaco Conti over fences, or at least over an extended 3m.

Silviniaco Conti was unfortunate in his first attempt at the Gold Cup. With 3 to jump he was travelling equally as good, if not better than the eventual winner Bobs Worth when he got in too close and crashed out. He certainly looked to have the measure of the long time leader Long Run in any case and Sir Des Champs certainly looked beaten at the time, who rallied on gamely to finish 2nd. The winner Bobs Worth was under pressure in 5th and was somewhat hampered by the fall of Silviniaco Conti but stayed on relentlessly to win.

That was also only Silviniaco Conti's 2nd run back from having a mild infection which caused him not to race from November through until February and Nicholls himself was adamant he would have preferred another couple of weeks. When 3rd at Aintree he was very careful at his fences and was probably still feeling the effects of the Cheltenham fall but running to 170 that day he left the impression he would enter last season as a pretender to the crown.

2013/2014 highlighted Silviniaco Conti as one of the best chasers in the Uk, returning with pleasing 3rd in the Betfair Chase, before running out an easy King George winner posting his best figure to date (prior to this season's King George) when running to 179. At Cheltenham he ran without his usual prep race in the Aon at Newbury, as Nicholls didn't wish to risk him on fast ground, a decision he later regretted at Cheltenham. Silviniaco Conti jumped the 2nd last looking the winner without doubt, but he found himself getting tired on the run to the last and ran down the fence jumping out to his left giving away all advantage he had. He ran up the hill punch drunk, unable to find a second wind until it was too late, but all the same was not disgraced beaten little under 2L. He only ran to 167, suggesting it was a good 10lb below par and the impression was left that he blew up.

On none of his Cheltenham runs has he firmly suggested that he is not a Cheltenham horse, and with that run under his belt, the Betfair Bowl at Aintree produced an electric round of jumping as under Noel Fehily he ran out a convincing winner, always holding Dynaste.

This season he has certainly had his fair share of runs but Nicholls himself has admitted he gets stuffy between races and now knows he needs to keep him on the go, as he gets lazy. His improvement with each start has been clear, firstly running out a poor 5th (never jumping or looking in love with faster ground) at Aintree before a convincing round of jumping saw him win the Betfair Chase at Haydock.

His King George win this time round brought back memories of Kauto Star in his heyday and previously before him Desert Orchid. A bloodless win with impeccable jumping.

Silviniaco Conti had always had his jumping under the microscope following that Gold Cup fall but this season he has really matured into the countries best staying chaser and the 183 recorded at Kempton would make him a worthy favourite come March for National Hunt's Blue Ribband.

Heading to the Aon at Newbury in February, Silviniaco Conti will be the one to beat, but with a returning from injury Simonsig, Bobs Worth and possibly Menorah in the line up, it will be a true test for him as Newbury's fences are notably unforgiving and with the ground sure to be testing, every inch of his ability and guts will be tested.

For me Silviniaco Conti is a better horse this season and would definitely be the one to beat in the Gold Cup field, but a faster surface will not be what he needs, and should the ground come up soft at Cheltenham it would take a very good horse to beat him, and a performance of around 185 to beat him, something which any of this years rivals are yet to prove they are capable of.

On faster ground, Simonsig or Boston Bob would be most interesting, but Nicholls believes he has worked out the key to him now, and he has looked an improver this season, and in my opinion, I wouldn't want to be riding any other horse in this years Gold Cup. I certainly would dispel any myth he doesn't handle Cheltenham.

Faugheen is easily the most exciting hurdler around however The New One has done nothing wrong. It really should be the big match up this year and a fascinating race. I would edge towards the Irish raider at this stage however, as The New One for me hasn't always jumped foot perfect and shapes as if he runs over 2m on raw ability, and he would actually be better over a longer trip, whilst Faugheen is all speed.

Thanks for that - very interesting to read.

I'm going to cheltenham on New Years day - anything I should particularly be looking for? I'm told the racing will be of a poor standard.

Archived