IGNORED

More Than Three Goals?

Aizoon

Probably because when we score 3, we end up conceding soon after (or we already have conceded) therefore forcing us to be a bit more defensive rather than continue playing expansive football.

The opportunities to score 4+ goals are when you have a a comfortable gap between yourself and the opposition. This hasn't happened with us so much this season (and many before it) as we haven't kept enough clean sheets.

Any thoughts as to why?

One of the things that both Cotterill and O'Driscoll stressed early on when they were in charge was that they wanted to get us better at "managing" games. ie, if we're 2-0 up, they're relatively happy for us to just see out the game and make sure we get through to the next one with as little injuries and tiredness as possible.

That's my guess anyway.

In so many games this season we've looked like we were going to score 6 or 7 and certainly created the chances to do this yet have ended up scraping a 2-1 or 1-0 with some hairy last few minutes in a large number of games.

Aizoon- in answer to your question which is actually quite thought provoking when you look at how some of rivals have won matches- I think, imo, is that certain players could and should be taking more of those chances and killing off the game. I'm sure it must perplex SC- we totally dominate a game, having 15-20 shots at goal and end up squeaky bum last few minutes and the victory is a mixture of joy and relief as opposed to pure joy when you win by 3 or more goals.

I think our overall play this season should have given us many more wins that had a wider margin- the 4-1's as opposed to 2-1's. But what gets us over the line in May as Champions is wins not number of goals scored.

Ah. Missed PV skimming through ourresults. Even so, only once is surprising given how successful a year it's been. Maybe people are right in that we haven't needed to.

Horace says it's because SC is kind to hedgehogs and doesn't want to embarrass them by scoring "lots". He had serious problems with the Coventry game last year :o

In so many games this season we've looked like we were going to score 6 or 7 and certainly created the chances to do this yet have ended up scraping a 2-1 or 1-0 with some hairy last few minutes in a large number of games.

Aizoon- in answer to your question which is actually quite thought provoking when you look at how some of rivals have won matches- I think, imo, is that certain players could and should be taking more of those chances and killing off the game. I'm sure it must perplex SC- we totally dominate a game, having 15-20 shots at goal and end up squeaky bum last few minutes and the victory is a mixture of joy and relief as opposed to pure joy when you win by 3 or more goals.

I think our overall play this season should have given us many more wins that had a wider margin- the 4-1's as opposed to 2-1's. But what gets us over the line in May as Champions is wins not number of goals scored.

Last bit may not be true, with how tight it is at the top goal difference may well still have a part to play

Last bit may not be true, with how tight it is at the top goal difference may well still have a part to play

Too true but if we keep winning then hopefully points will be enough.

I'm certain that this side when back at full strength with 2-3 new faces is more than capable of getting a few more PV type results.

MK had three very impressive score lines yet were beaten 3-0 at home last time out - something we've never looked like receiving home or away.  :fingerscrossed:

Could it not just be that, as good a side as we have been in 2014, in each match the opposition has been able to prevent us scoring more than three goals and/or we have missed opportunities to score more (with the exception of Port Vale).

Sometimes I think we try to over analyse these things.

Can we not just blame Jet, matt smith, lee johnson and liam Fontaine?

Archived