IGNORED

Memorable Goals At Ashton Gate

TauntonTA2

Top 3 for me

1 Wayne Allison 3rd (I believe) against Brum on a Tuesday night, got put through on a one on one, then curled it into the top right hand corner at the now Ateyo end.

2 Believe it was Matty Bryant on Joe Jordan's first game back as manager, 30 yard thunderbolt in a 3-0 win against Swindon

3 A Glen Pennyfather 18 yard sliding knee (sure it was his knee from where I was sitting) in a 2-1 victory against Watford

Before most on here will recall but for me has to be 1974 Bristol City .v. Man Utd in the old Div.2 (Man.U having been relegated from Div.1 the season before). As a young lad I was in awe at the Man Utd support, never seen as many away fans at Ashton Gate and never will.

Into the second-half John Emanuel (midfielder) hits a screamer from 25 yards into the net and the East End goes beserk. City held on to win 1-0.

Before most on here will recall but for me has to be 1974 Bristol City .v. Man Utd in the old Div.2 (Man.U having been relegated from Div.1 the season before). As a young lad I was in awe at the Man Utd support, never seen as many away fans at Ashton Gate and never will.Into the second-half John Emanuel (midfielder) hits a screamer from 25 yards into the net and the East End goes beserk. City held on to win 1-0.

The goal came after Keith Fear's shot was cleared off the line. Tommy Docherty was not very complimentary, but who cares!

Top 3 for me

1 Wayne Allison 3rd (I believe) against Brum on a Tuesday night, got put through on a one on one, then curled it into the top right hand corner at the now Ateyo end.

2 Believe it was Matty Bryant on Joe Jordan's first game back as manager, 30 yard thunderbolt in a 3-0 win against Swindon

3 A Glen Pennyfather 18 yard sliding knee (sure it was his knee from where I was sitting) in a 2-1 victory against Watford

Im sure No 3 was a sliding effort that was a clearance into his face that cannoned into the bottom corner?!

Wayne Allison's header past Groblelar........The East End exploded.

Contender for best goal not to officially stand. Seem to recall Edwards whipped in the cross and he glanced it into the top corner. As you say, it went off after that.

Ivan Sproule vs soon to be promoted Saints ,ran nearly the whole length of the pitch to score .

Everyone held their breath not believing he'd finish it (Ivan included )

Shades of Forrest Gump but he slotted it home to make it one of Ashton Gate's greatest goals .

They were soon to be relegated ;)

Agree with the allison goal v liverpool was in east end and still

quite liked tony thorpes v gas when aaron brown ran length of pitch to cross it in

Any of the goals that night, one of my favourite games ever at AG.

I like crushing last minute winners so Gerry Harrison versus Charlton circa 1992 and Scott Murray versus someone circa 2002, both took the roof off. Also we beat someone 5-0 (Luton?) and Leroy Lita completed a hat trick by racing forward 35yards out and then just leathering an early shot that flew past the keeper and took the net off, remember thinking that's how I'd want to complete a hat trick too.

Turner via Chelsea in the cup. With the famous write up in that fans book "the ball was loose on the six yard line....Turner resplendent in his sweat bands swung an almighty right peg in the direction of the ball as Beasant threw himself full length at the ball. Suddenly the back of the net bulged. As the Eastend surged I was taken from my feet. I wasn't sure whether it had been the ball or Beasants head that had been hacked into the goal...."

Before most on here will recall but for me has to be 1974 Bristol City .v. Man Utd in the old Div.2 (Man.U having been relegated from Div.1 the season before). As a young lad I was in awe at the Man Utd support, never seen as many away fans at Ashton Gate and never will.Into the second-half John Emanuel (midfielder) hits a screamer from 25 yards into the net and the East End goes beserk. City held on to win 1-0.

Except it was in the first half and we played them off the park for the whole game.

Clive Whirehead's versus Pompey was the most significant surely?

My favourite of all time was TC's only goal for us, versus Halifax.

Contender for best goal not to officially stand. Seem to recall Edwards whipped in the cross and he glanced it into the top corner. As you say, it went off after that.

Martin Scott crossed it in. That was my first time in the East End.

My favourite goal was from a debutant v Southend. We'd just signed some Polish guy from Celtic. I remember Junior Bent running into the area and square it to Jacki and 1-0 to us. My feeling on the day was that was so unselfish of Bent. He could easily halve score 1 on 1. He did me his best to prove me wrong over the years. Though I did see him score a header once. Not bad for a hobbit. Also that was my first game at the Gate. That's the day I became a city supporter.

Anyways, first post after reading this forum pretty much everyday for years.

Archived