IGNORED

We Really Didn't Need A Draw!

Pearcy

Today was our 30th game already this season in all competitions. We have 23 League games left to play as well as 2 JPT and now a cup replay. That's 55 games minimum with the smallest squad I've ever seen us have. Although I love the F.A. Cup I'd sooner have gone out today then have another extra game. I'd rather us get promoted or reach Wembley in the JPT then have a F.A. Cup run and stretch our squad to breaking point with extra games and tired legs and injuries that will come with it. 

The question I want to ask you all is before we play the replay we will obviously know who we could get in the 4th round. If we get another non glamours tie would you 'throw' the replay in order to concentrate on the other competitions or would you rather we carry on on all fronts best we can and see what happens?

Today was our 30th game already this season in all competitions. We have 23 League games left to play as well as 2 JPT and now a cup replay. That's 55 games minimum with the smallest squad I've ever seen us have. Although I love the F.A. Cup I'd sooner have gone out today then have another extra game. I'd rather us get promoted or reach Wembley in the JPT then have a F.A. Cup run and stretch our squad to breaking point with extra games and tired legs and injuries that will come with it.

The question I want to ask you all is before we play the replay we will obviously know who we could get in the 4th round. If we get another non glamours tie would you 'throw' the replay in order to concentrate on the other competitions or would you rather we carry on on all fronts best we can and see what happens?

Ridiculous even by otib standards

in the late 60s ea

in the late 60s early 70s leeds were competing most seasons on 4 fronts, on pitches far worse than today, they would play over 60 games a season

against teams that would kick the shit out of you! [leeds done the most shit kicking!]

and this with 1or 2 subs allowed from a squad of 15,16 players!!!

And you want us to chuck a f...ing fa cup game.

f...ing laughable!!!

There seems a presumption that cup will affect league - like our little brains have worked this all out and its done and dusted. Like we can decide fate.

Sorry to have to challange this delusion but things, especially in football, don't work like that.

Not that I've ever done it but I imagine 'throwing' a football game could be pretty easy. We've all heard of scandals throughout the world and even some of our opponents throughout the years getting accused of it. In fact we may have actually witnessed games being thrown in front of our very eyes and not known anything about it!!!! I fro one have been suspicious on numberous occasions throughout the years when certain ex players never seen to want to tackle and the ball always seems to go in from their non attempt at a tackle.

All I'm saying with the tread is do you think we should maybe we should play a weakened team and tell the players not to put 100% effort in? I'm sure this type of thing has been done on many occasions when a club is trying to either get promoted or avoid relegation so as to avoid extra games. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I'm pretty sure it does happen.

There seems a presumption that cup will affect league - like our little brains have worked this all out and its done and dusted. Like we can decide fate.

Sorry to have to challange this delusion but things, especially in football, don't work like that.

It's not an issue of fate. We have a small squad and the more cup games we play, the greater the risk of injury to key players, general fatigue and a knock on effect on our league performances as a result.

While I would never go as far as saying we should "throw" a game, the pragmatic approach in the replay may well be to play a second string side. It would be a travesty if we missed out on promotion for the sake of a small but ultimately fruitless cup run.

Ultimately it lies in the long term interests of the club to play in a higher division, and that should remain the primary objective without compromise.

Not that I've ever done it but I imagine 'throwing' a football game could be pretty easy. We've all heard of scandals throughout the world and even some of our opponents throughout the years getting accused of it. In fact we may have actually witnessed games being thrown in front of our very eyes and not known anything about it!!!! I fro one have been suspicious on numberous occasions throughout the years when certain ex players never seen to want to tackle and the ball always seems to go in from their non attempt at a tackle.

All I'm saying with the tread is do you think we should maybe we should play a weakened team and tell the players not to put 100% effort in? I'm sure this type of thing has been done on many occasions when a club is trying to either get promoted or avoid relegation so as to avoid extra games. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I'm pretty sure it does happen.

perhaps you should change your user name to that famous old gardener bloke, pearcy ?

Generally speaking, the less glamorous tie, the more winnable it is.  And - getting way ahead of myself - a win in the next round puts us one win away from the quarter-finals.  Another win there and we emulate Sheffield United last year and get to a Wembley FA cup semi-final.  So of course I wouldn't want us to throw it and I'd be very disappointed if we did. 

It did,nt do bradford any harm a few years ago they got to a cup final and still went up, i think we should keep trying in the cup if we get a big draw next round then that could give us money to spend strenthening the team if it turns out to be a crap draw then look to beat them and move on to the next game and make more money

Absolutely not anyone who doesn't get excited for the draw on Monday, and thinks that we would be better off getting knocked out further endorses the devaluation of what for me was always a great competition....a further thing to blame the cash rich premier league clubs for who frankly don't really care about the fa c

there is no such thing as an unglamourous 4th round tie for a third division team.

Dont be ridiculous.

we havnt even used our full squad yet. with Agard and wilbs on the way back plus an addition or two. all these competitive games should be beneficial to keep everybody happy .

Exactly my thought!

Prem clubs often don't care about the FA Cup!?

Yet it saved Arse last season. Chelsea always put out a first team (yes I know they could field two first teams). Man City have won it and got to the final recently ETC ETC

I agree to a point it doesn't get interesting to the Q Finals for them now.....But for us it could be the difference in respect of who we can bring in....Away to Chelsea in round 4 will guarantee a sell out at AG for the replay so watch this space closely.

As far as the other cup goes...The same applies. It doesn't get interesting until the area semis....A game at Wembley again increases the revenue....Thus three new signings are what we could be playing for........Gets my vote, particularly with SC track record!!...Smith was crap two weeks ago, apparently to some, now he cant stop scoring!! As the man said, more crap signings please SC

Your not saying its wrong!!!

It surprises me how many fans are really into our cup run in the JPT and the prospect of a Wembley final. Probably the same people calling Yeovil a tinpot club. Couldn't get more tinpot than the JPT. Absolute waste of bloody time and could bite us in the arse when it comes to the league and our ultimate aim of promotion.

It surprises me how many fans are really into our cup run in the JPT and the prospect of a Wembley final. Probably the same people calling Yeovil a tinpot club. Couldn't get more tinpot than the JPT. Absolute waste of bloody time and could bite us in the arse when it comes to the league and our ultimate aim of promotion.

or could keep our squad players up to speed and motivated to perform in the league.

or could keep our squad players up to speed and motivated to perform in the league.

But it hasn't because Osbourne still hasn't had a start this season. I know we're restricted with the amount of changes we can make but the fact that Osbourne hasn't got a game shows that SC has still largely played strong teams in the competition. It's a no brainer to try and get KO some football.

All this game means is that the players will play a match instead of training..not really a problem outside of the possibility of incurring an injury to a key player.winning,and not losing is a good habit and now in pole position for round four.

For some reason SC seems averse to playing Osborne. Even El Abt got a game ahead of him in the JPT. Would like to ask SC what problem is. But the rest of the squad are getting extra competitive pitch time because we are still in 2 cups. its nearly always good to stay in cup competitions unless you are at the very top and have to play in Europe or have major injury problems.

Archived