IGNORED

Bobby Reid's Loan Extended

RegC

24 hour recall notwithstanding, it would suggest someone else is coming in. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bobby leaves at the end of the season. If he isn't going to feature when we are in League 1 I can't see him breaking into a Championship team (assuming we get promoted!), plus with him now being 22 he can no longer be considered one for the future!

24 hour recall notwithstanding, it would suggest someone else is coming in. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bobby leaves at the end of the season. If he isn't going to feature when we are in League 1 I can't see him breaking into a Championship team (assuming we get promoted!), plus with him now being 22 he can no longer be considered one for the future!

I don't think it does,

Central midfield is on of the postions we are well covered in,

Elliot, Pack, Smith, Kane, and Freeman are all well ahead of Reid in the pecking order and can all do a decent job in an attacking midfield role

I reckon he could develop into a good League One midfielder but beyond that I have my doubts but im not saying he couldn't progress further. I'd also say he'll leave at the end of the season and if he were to ever play Championship football again, he'd probably have to do it through promotion rather than a transfer, imo.

He's got a lot of technical ability but not the size and/or guile for a centre midfield role yet.

Shouldn't write him off at 22, still plenty of time for him.

Not sure if his progression can keep up with the clubs though. Perhaps for the good of his career he should move.

Plymouth would be a good move, localish, good stadium for that level, lots of good young players get a chance there. If I were him that's where I would want to go.

I don't think it does,

Elliot, Pack, Smith, Kane, and Freeman are all well ahead of Reid in the pecking order and can all do a decent job in an attacking midfield role

In the case of Kane; we'd need to be renewing his loan, wouldn't we? Isn't his current deal up this month?

He's got a lot of technical ability but not the size and/or guile for a centre midfield role yet.

Shouldn't write him off at 22, still plenty of time for him.

Not sure if his progression can keep up with the clubs though. Perhaps for the good of his career he should move.

Plymouth would be a good move, localish, good stadium for that level, lots of good young players get a chance there. If I were him that's where I would want to go.

Is also a similar situation to Joe Edwards at Yeovil.

Is also a similar situation to Joe Edwards at Yeovil.

True, good to see him doing well for himself there. Interesting to see him move from right back to centre mid. Wonder if he'd get into our first team if still here? I would say probably not first team, possibly ahead of Pack though. Turned out to be a good player for Yeovil.

• Admin

Is this the start of the end of Reid's career with us?

The past few seasons have been described as "this is his season to break through", clearly not going to happen this season

Certainly would not be surprised to never see him back here again

Possibly another not quite up to the required level, but good enough for a lower league side?

Is this the start of the end of Reid's career with us?

The past few seasons have been described as "this is his season to break through", clearly not going to happen this season

Certainly would not be surprised to never see him back here again

Possibly another not quite up to the required level, but good enough for a lower league side?

People were saying the same about Skuse for years as well.

Currently Reid doesn't have the required noince or talent to hold down a first team place at Ashton Gate, he could in the future but theres a bigger chance of that not happening,

I hope he does as its always nice seeing a home grown player doing well, personally I just don't think he has what it takes higher then mid-table league one,

I will also go on record and say that I hope and prey he proves me wrong,

It's a shame about Bobby, he shows the odd touch of class on the ball from time to time but it is nowhere near being consistent enough. If he can improve this then there is no reason why he couldn't become a Championship player eventually. Like the loan for Joe at Plymouth, this can only be good. You can only improve through playing games. 

Hope Bobby proves me wrong but I can't see him having a long term future with us now. As most have mentioned, if he can't force his way in this season then it's very unlikely he will if we were to get promoted. 

I think he burst on the scene under SOD and at the time, in my opinion, looked as though he would be a long term regular for us. Even more so than Joe Bryan did. Ever since though he has not kicked on at all whereas Joe continues to improve. Even though at times Joe goes missing, even when he isn't playing well he can still affect games with a goal or assist. Unfortunately for Bobby he simply doesn't affect games. Doesn't score and rarely makes any assists and certainly doesn't control games. It's very hard to see how he will get back into the side now, even if we don't get promoted. I really do hope to be proved wrong on this one though.

Why is there so much confusion and pointless speculation?!

It says on the city website that we have a 24hr recall clause. Absolute no brainer letting him stay at Plymouth. He gets to play week in week out and we can recall him if we have an injury crisis. He's behind pack in the pecking order so wouldn't even really make the bench here at the moment.

I don't think it does,

I agree that those players are ahead of him in the pecking order but only Freeman is an out and out attacking midfielder. Smith and Pack are both sitters and Kane is more defensive. Elliott is a little more attacking but not in the same way that Freeman plays behind the forwards and runs at teams. That's where Bobby would play but he's not going to get in the team there at the moment and is too lightweight and attack minded to play one of the sitting roles.

Bobby is better off at Plymouth for now. Don't think its the end of his City career though. Still a very promising player and got time let on his contract. He'll be back in the summer, if not before.

I agree that those players are ahead of him in the pecking order but only Freeman is an out and out attacking midfielder. Smith and Pack are both sitters and Kane is more defensive. Elliott is a little more attacking but not in the same way that Freeman plays behind the forwards and runs at teams. That's where Bobby would play but he's not going to get in the team there at the moment and is too lightweight and attack minded to play one of the sitting roles.

Bobby is better off at Plymouth for now. Don't think its the end of his City career though. Still a very promising player and got time let on his contract. He'll be back in the summer, if not before.

Agree on all these points.

The one thing I question is this "lightweight" term often used. He is about the same size as Gillet and is pretty aggressive/ competitive. No one has used this term about him at Plymouth where as an attacking goal scoring midfielder he has been instrumental in helping them towards the play offs.

International football is littered with midfielders who could get a part in Snow White.

Archived