IGNORED

Jet

Kingswoodactor

He's the type of player that needs to play continuously otherwise his fitness and form/interest plummet.

I'd have him in the team every week regardless how frustrating he can be, BUT who to drop?!

The awful one!

I am like lots of other city fans who love to see JET playing on top form,

he is absolutely superb at drifting past people. But we all know that he 

be the most frustrating of players when he is not on top form.

maybe that is because he has only been a bit part player this season,

due to the other guys performing out of their skins to get us where we are

now.

Nobody can knock Steve after what he has achieved so far, however my

question mark about the situation with JET, is as follows.

When JET scored 20+ goals last season he must have been worth 500k

or more ?. This season he has hardly played at all and only scored 1 or 2

goals, so what is his worth now ?

Is it good management to turn a player in to an almost worthless asset ? 

Same as last season really. If you give JET consistent game time, he'll consistently set up and/or score goals.

He's not consistent is he?

He has blinders and he has times where he is a total liability that we may as well have ten men out there.

Same this season, same last season.

In fact the number of clubs that have moved him despite his clear natural talent, it's the same probably his entire career.

When he's on the pitch for 90 mins he creates so much, that skill for the first 2 goals at the weekend was sublime. People were saying Smith was a donkey, you get two good players together and that's what happens. Strikers need that support and JET sees the game in a way that not many players at our level do. Frustrates me so many say he doesn't fit into the team, a striker that understands him and Horace will have to count his paws twice to keep up with the score against some of the opposition.

When he's on the pitch for 90 mins he creates so much, that skill for the first 2 goals at the weekend was sublime. People were saying Smith was a donkey, you get two good players together and that's what happens. Strikers need that support and JET sees the game in a way that not many players at our level do. Frustrates me so many say he doesn't fit into the team, a striker that understands him and Horace will have to count his paws twice to keep up with the score against some of the opposition.

When he's on the pitch for 90 mins he doesn't ALWAYS create so much though does he. That's the problem. He either has a blinder or goes missing. I rate him but he is inconsistent. I'm not surprised SC doesn't find space for him in our starting 11.

True, it's just what I watch football for. I love BCFC and seeing those flashes of genius makes me happy. I'm also one of those that's not convinced of the premiership is the holy grail, I'm scared of that to be honest. Don't get me wrong I want promotion and think we deserve it but... Oh well I hope you know what I mean.

When he's on the pitch for 90 mins he doesn't ALWAYS create so much though does he. That's the problem. He either has a blinder or goes missing. I rate him but he is inconsistent. I'm not surprised SC doesn't find space for him in our starting 11.

Okay. so these two things got me thinking about minutes-played versus (measurable) effectiveness, and as I had some time to kill on a break, I put a little something together...

(Please note - am WELL aware of the old adage "lies, damn lies & statistics" and these statistics are offered as 'food for thought', and to feed debate, not prove or make any point)

Comparison of measurable effectiveness - Agard/JET

Season (so far) stats*

Agard
Goals - 8 
Assists - 1
Shot-on-target - 22
Appearances - 21
Total Minutes - 1671**
Minutes-per-appearance (average) - 79.57
Minutes-per-goal/assist - 185.66

JET
Goals- 3 
Assists - 5
Shots-on-target - 9
Appearances - 24
Total Minutes - 896
Minutes-per-appearance (average) - 37.3
Minutes-per-goal/assist - 112

Since 1 November 2014 only

Agard
Goals - 2
Assists - none
Appearences - 10
Minutes - 752
Minutes-per-appearance (average) - 74.4
Minutes-per-goal/assist - 376

JET
Goals - 2
Assists - 2
Appearances - 11
Minutes - 565
Minutes-per-appearance (average) - 58.45
Minutes-per-goal/assist - 141.25

(*'goals', 'assists', 'shots' and 'appearances' statistics taken from BCFC.co.uk statistics; correct as of 08/01/2015 AM)
(**minutes calculated using BBC match statistics; minutes beyond 90 not included, other than for substitutions made on or beyond 90th minute, where counted as an appearance of 1 minute)

Before people pile in saying this doesn't tell the whole story I want to make clear I know that; this is simply a response to the debate above.

Examples can be drawn on influence well beyond raw assists/goals; the Peterborough performance showed how important Agard's tireless running and closing down is to our overall game, and things like his smart step over of Mark Little's cross to Wilbraham for our first goal away to Notts County, or JET's exquisite cross that Bryan laid back into Wilbraham to score against AFC Wimbledon are not included here, so doesn't tell you everything about what either player brings to the side when on the pitch.

But thought that in light of the above comments, statistics could add something to the debate.

Also; reason I chose Agard to compare to JET is because I figure he's be considered the 'other' striker in a 'little man/big man' line up, with Wilbraham/M.Smith the 'big man', but feel free to compare others.

I am like lots of other city fans who love to see JET playing on top form,

he is absolutely superb at drifting past people. But we all know that he 

be the most frustrating of players when he is not on top form.

maybe that is because he has only been a bit part player this season,

due to the other guys performing out of their skins to get us where we are

now.

Nobody can knock Steve after what he has achieved so far, however my

question mark about the situation with JET, is as follows.

When JET scored 20+ goals last season he must have been worth 500k

or more ?. This season he has hardly played at all and only scored 1 or 2

goals, so what is his worth now ?

Is it good management to turn a player in to an almost worthless asset ? 

Only on OTIB could SC's team selection for the season be questioned in this way. YES it is good management . Jet is a casualty of the teams system, not forgetting his shite performances when given chances earlier in the season.

Archived