IGNORED

Has Jet Become The Player He Should Be ?

Major Isewater

Seems that Cotts has finally found the correct formula with JET and given him a 'free' role in the last 2 games and he has rewarded him with MOM performances. That is way to get the best out of him,not to give him a rigid position but just to let him do his thing. He is a special talent and we are lucky to have him. Don't think anyone will be taking his shirt anytime soon.

Only 2 good performances yet has more assists and goals than 1 of our players of the season in freeman - just saying....

Great assist from Freeman today for the 2nd goal.

Freeman has been absolutely outstanding this season.

Great assist from Freeman today for the 2nd goal.

Freeman has been absolutely outstanding this season.

Totally.  Having Freeman in behind Smith and JET works in so many ways. JET drops off, Freeman goes into the space he leaves.If we don't dominate the ball I can see it being a bit of a problem but as we do dominate the ball we are pulling teams all over the place.  Good to see Little getting back to his best too.

Absolutley - my point being that JET has been lambasted by some on here but has still produced the goods.

Not really, it has  taken him probably 12 months to rediscover some semblance of his form from the first half of last season.

The important thing is that he has woken up and  started to produce the performances that we knew he was capable of JUST WHEN WE NEEDED IT.

I should look at the stats mate.

Plenty of appearances and largely anonymous, as many on here have stated.

Thankfully, as i have already said , with our current injury situation jet has finally returned to the party.

Not untrue he's taken a while to get back into the swing of things, but I would advise checking out some of the goal/assist-to-minutes played stuff people have posted.

Many of the appearances you mention were single digit numbers of minutes, and when you consider that he's responsible for a goal (either directly or via an assist) in just over every 100 minutes he's played this season, you have to admit that is supportive of the suggestion many have had that you give JET game time and he'll deliver.

Everyone has seen what JET can do. You just have to accept that 50% of games he will be unplayable while the other 50% he will be a passenger. If he was this consistently good he would be playing in the prem.

Whilst I agree with what you said ...... I do not accept that 1 player gets to be 'a passenger' 50% of the time and I doubt Cotts does either. If it isn't working out going forward I would expect all 11 to put a shift in to help their teammates. As for "it would be silly to not offer him a new contract" mentioned above, I am glad he's playing well and formed a good partnership with Smith but when we next get a bad result and he's playing, I bet lots of fingers will be pointing at our man JET

Whilst I agree with what you said ...... I do not accept that 1 player gets to be 'a passenger' 50% of the time and I doubt Cotts does either. If it isn't working out going forward I would expect all 11 to put a shift in to help their teammates. As for "it would be silly to not offer him a new contract" mentioned above, I am glad he's playing well and formed a good partnership with Smith but when we next get a bad result and he's playing, I bet lots of fingers will be pointing at our man JET

Thing is; just because people are ponting fingers doesn't mean they are doing it at the right player.

JET has quite often ended up getting it in the neck after all-round bad team performances, when others has escaped criticism, so talking him up now after he's made a big contribution to an excellent team performance seems about right.

After yesterday's fine performance by the big man which will get good coverage nationwide through the press and the football league show, what about if a championship manager decided to take a punt on him in January do we sell or not ?

My opinion would be yes definitely what do others think.

100% no - what would be the point? We won't get much for him anyway and we going to need him.

JET's biggest problem, in my book, is not that he has an off-day every few games - everyone has off-days - but when he's having one of his off-days he stops trying.

He becomes lazy in and out of possession, he doesn't run the metres he needs to and as a result it puts more pressure on those around him.

But I just think that's a maturity thing, I really do. The best players, if anything, will make more runs, offer themselves for the ball more frequently and do even more tracking back when they're playing poorly. Regardless of whether those things are 'JET's game' or not, only when he realises that will he justify a regular place in the team.

We all know JET can put in performances like against Crawley, of course we do, he's a gifted boy. My question is, have the last few games shown he is actually starting to grow up a bit?

He is going to fire us to promotion if the answer is yes.

Not untrue he's taken a while to get back into the swing of things, but I would advise checking out some of the goal/assist-to-minutes played stuff people have posted.

Many of the appearances you mention were single digit numbers of minutes, and when you consider that he's responsible for a goal (either directly or via an assist) in just over every 100 minutes he's played this season, you have to admit that is supportive of the suggestion many have had that you give JET game time and he'll deliver.

You are correct if you take minutes played into consideration, unfortunately because of his general apathy when he did play cotterill probably never had confidence to consider playing him from the start in league games.

Despite our long unbeaten run  none of us expected wilbraham at his age to be starting every game, hence the previous comment and has possibly now paid the price.

Because of our current injury situation cotterill's hand was somewhat forced and jet has thankfully grabbed his chance with both hands.

If we are also able to retain smiths services for a while along  with the hopefully imminent availability of wilbraham and agard then the need to strenghten our strikeforce may not be so urgent.

could it be he really enjoys playing alongside smith ?

it would do no harm to try and sign both for at least (hopefully) our first season back in the championship

Maybe, but you could certainly make a better argument for the reverse.

Very noticeable Smith has looked twice the player, and become a seemingly unlikely goal machine since Jet became a regular starter after the Yeovil game.

Smith very much likes playing alongside Jet, I'd suggest.

Thing is; just because people are ponting fingers doesn't mean they are doing it at the right player.

JET has quite often ended up getting it in the neck after all-round bad team performances, when others has escaped criticism, so talking him up now after he's made a big contribution to an excellent team performance seems about right.

Where I sit I am surrounded by morons who will blame JET at any given opportunity. If it rains it's JET's fault. Didn't hear many moans yesterday though....

There was a dramatic change in JET's performance yesterday in his positional play. Instead of roaming around, he worked to get in positions that complimented our play and shape. He was also working back into position. He will never be a marathon runner, but he has clearly worked on his game. I have not really understood what SC was doing with Jet, he has got him fitter and leaner for sure, but was surprised he did not appear before when injuries started. We have to hope this is the restart of Jet's career with us, and certainly I have never seen SC be so positive about one player. Knowing SC, he would love to be the manger that unlocks the JET enigma.

Good news for the team, it is like having a new signing, and for sure, no other team in L1 will have a player of that ability turning up mid season.

Shame we could not sign a player like Afobe, as that is about the only option we are missing

Think you nailed it Billy W.

Some seemed to think JET was being frozen out, and allowed to run down his deal as a sub, but I agree; nothing about SC I've seen so far has suggested he steps down from a challenge, and imagine he's looked at JET and seen working out how to best use him as one.

It may be fitness, it may be tactical awareness, it may simply be motivation; but whatever it is, SC will be fully aware that players of JET's natural ability do not grow on trees, certainly at the level we currently play, and unlocking the boy's potential on a regular basis if he manages it could very well rank up there with his shrewdest signings or smartest game plans.

Long may JET's purple patch continue; could well be a defining factor in us having the squad to not just survive but thrive in both cup and league.

PS - one thought: people have mentioned how Matt Smith may really enjoy playing with JET, but I bet you both Wilbraham and Agard will be looking at things right now and licking their lips at the prospect of getting on the pitch with him too.

Archived