IGNORED

Finances (Merged)

Spike

I would go as far as suggesting its a ploy to keep us grounded as a club. I'm sure many will think if and when we go up that we can splash out left right and centre and if we don't, well all get uneasy.

This, fans (given our history with transfers) will probably expect us to make quite a few transfers if we go up, this way expectations stay grounded on the transfer front. All very wise if the club is trying to be sustainable and avoid what happened last time we were in the championship.

If we go up then there is no way SL will put the cheque book in the draw!

Why all the hard work this season to (hopefully!) go up, then balls it all up, and come straight back down again.

SL will remember what happened last time we were in the Championship, and won't make the same mistakes in the transfer market again!

I don't expect him to go mental, but if we need a striker he will buy us one, if we need a defender he will buy us one this time round.

I was shocked to read that we would struggle? Surely with the squad we got must have a higher wage bill than teams like Blackpool? Huddersfield? and lots more teams in the Championship now? IF we go up we should still be looking to spend more on transfers to improve again? Especially if the new stand is up by then? More income too? have we told roughly what the stadium could possibly hold when finished? SL using his brain to let Bristol Rugby fill the ground week in week out too

Why all the hard work this season to (hopefully!) go up, then balls it all up, and come straight back down again.

SL will remember what happened last time we were in the Championship, and won't make the same mistakes in the transfer market again!

I don't expect him to go mental, but if we need a striker he will buy us one, if we need a defender he will buy us one this time round.

He can't get the cheque book out because of FFP, we won't be spending a million on a goalkeeper like preston or 2 million on a micky naynard anymore,

We have to do it the bournemouth/swansea/brentford way

I was shocked to read that we would struggle? Surely with the squad we got must have a higher wage bill than teams like Blackpool? Huddersfield? and lots more teams in the Championship now? IF we go up we should still be looking to spend more on transfers to improve again? Especially if the new stand is up by then? More income too? have we told roughly what the stadium could possibly hold when finished? SL using his brain to let Bristol Rugby fill the ground week in week out too

Successful clubs who get promoted to the championship do well - at least in the first year - by utilising the players they used in L1.  A top League 1 side with young players can only improve and should be good enough to establish themselves in the championship.

I think you are are taking his comments too literally.

It's not a surprise that probably Sheffield United and Preston have a bigger wage bill than us.

Turnover increases hand in hand with promotion and wages. We would certainly have one of the smaller FFP budgets in the Championship at present because of restricted capacity.

We will not be reckless with our finances again. SL has well and truely learnt that lesson, but rest assured that whilst he is leading this club, we will not struggle financially in any way, shape or form.

It is not transfer fees that are the problem now.It is the annual salary which takes staff spending into orbit if not controlled.

He can't get the cheque book out because of FFP, we won't be spending a million on a goalkeeper like preston or 2 million on a micky naynard anymore,

We have to do it the bournemouth/swansea/brentford way

Isn't the Bournemouth way the "find a loaded Russian billionaire" way?

They are hardly fan owned plucky little Bournemouth any more.  It is no surprise they are one of the pace setters in the Championship.  Everyone is blinded by their history.

To be fair, the mistakes in the transfer market last time were paying too much and too high wages for players that didn't necessarily merit that.  And arguably buying players that weren't part of a strategy or clear plan to put a team together.  That was where it all went wrong.  The first season we kept the same nucleus, spent relatively little on players that fitted in with how we wanted to play and integrated with the promoted squad and it worked much better.  By the end we weren't buying the defender needed to keep us up but so much had gone wrong by then I'm not sure it made a different and half the issue was far too many players on high wages that couldn't get in the team but stopped us being able to afford anyone else. 

If SL has learned any lessons at all - which I'm sure he has - he'll think long and hard before each time he gets the cheque book out and see to it that that money goes to the right places. 

Isn't the Bournemouth way the "find a loaded Russian billionaire" way?

They are hardly fan owned plucky little Bournemouth any more.  It is no surprise they are one of the pace setters in the Championship.  Everyone is blinded by their history.

I think people still over estimate what Bournemouth are paying.  Yes, they're hardly Yeovil but I can't remember too many megabucks transfers and I'd expect them to be relatively near the middle at highest in terms of wage bill.

They're not plucky paupers but I think they're punching way above their weight. 

Successful clubs who get promoted to the championship do well - at least in the first year - by utilising the players they used in L1.  A top League 1 side with young players can only improve and should be good enough to establish themselves in the championship.

Let's not forget we have Flint, Bryan, Ayling, K Smith, Agard, Little (have I mentioned Freeman?) who all have extremely bright futures ahead of them, if not with us then elsewhere. They will not remain league 1 players long-term.

I'd add Williams to that list too.

It's mouth watering, isn't it?

If we can keep this nucleus together (may I add that they seem like a grounded and relatively intelligent bunch), Cotterill and Burt reinforce it with more shrewd acquisitions then we're not going to need to blow the finances from here to Jupiter. There's always the possibility that JET will mature as well.

Archived