IGNORED

Should We Offer Jet A New Contract ?

Major Isewater

I haven't been a huge fan because he tends to frustrate me as much as excite me. But as for offering him another deal I would vote yes.

1) Because the cost of signing him would be significantly less of what we could ultimately gain, can we afford not to sign him.

2).Often the devil you know is a better option. He seems to have become more of a team player and is bringing out the best in others.

3) I doubt if a Championship club would take a punt on him, maybe at the end of the season if he is still with us and no deal signed and he is performing. So if he leaves now it would be to a rival, and I don't fancy playing against him at the moment.

Definite yes.

I'd be happy to watch Jet for the rest of his career at Ashton Gate.

Shorter term, and without wanting to take the thread on too much of a tangent, if we're thinking of extending Matt Smith's stay - perhaps even permanently - then we must keep Jet.

He's looked twice the player since Jet came into the team after the Yeovil match and has clearly benefitted hugely from Jet's all round game and some fantastic assists.

As indeed have the whole team.

I'd be far more dubious about signing Smith long term if Jet has no future at AG.

He's 24; you've basically written off his character ("something is not right"), and ascribed his current form to selfishness (i.e. only playing to earn a contract).

If I'm honest; if sounds like you've just taken against him, and want him to fail.  And argue that all you like, but it is all there in what you've written.

For me; he is a player who had the world at his feet, and yes; perhaps he made some mistakes as a very young man in not being focused enough, but he's then gone down the leagues in order to try and get game time, and perhaps all he's needed is a manager (in this case SC) to get him on the right track.  Luke Freeman could be said to have done similar, as has Ayling, but neither of them get the stick JET does.  

Personally, I think SC has managed him very, very well, and I'm pretty sure JET will realise that too, so wouldn't be surprised if the club wanted to keep him longer.

He had the world at his feet when he was at Arsenal and maybe even Ipswich. He chose to kick it into touch! The Jet we have seen recently is a thing to behold, and lets hope that he has learnt his lesson and his new found maturity keeps him there. Sign him up, although don't be surprised if his agent doesn't jump in with both feet with outrageous demands.

Archived