IGNORED

Jet's Penalties

Tall King Blox

He'll miss one eventually, most penalty takers do. Even the great penalty taker Le Tissier missed one during his career.

It's where JET puts the ball that matters. His jog upto the ball plays little part in that.

Personally I think it's incredible skill and incredible psychology at play....

Even though the Scunny keeper guessed the right direction he couldn't save it as Jet placed it almost as wide as it was possible and still go in. As long as his accuracy doesn't desert him I see no reason to change his style.

A few people have said he would miss after Notts County then Yeovil and here we are after another one.

Of course he will miss eventually but clearly it is a great way to score a high percentage of them.

i think you tube will eventually have a special page for his penalties.....this is the stuff of legend we are witnessing !

As stated previously the laws of averages state he is eventually gone miss one. Whether or not he sky rockets it or the keeper pulls off a worldie because it's Jet and the feelings he stirs amongst us mere mortals, this forum is gonna go into meltdown.

Can't chuffing wait to see the reaction by some on here if he misses whilst using his sauntering jog upto the ball technique.

As stated previously the laws of averages state he is eventually gone miss one. Whether or not he sky rockets it or the keeper pulls off a worldie because it's Jet and the feelings he stirs amongst us mere mortals, this forum is gonna go into meltdown.

Can't chuffing wait to see the reaction by some on here if he misses whilst using his sauntering jog upto the ball technique.

To be fair I see no reason he shouldn't use the same technique for pens as he does for the rest of the game ;)

I love penalties and how differently some players approach them!

John Aldridge perfected the 'stuttered' run up first until his famous miss in the '88 FA Cup Final.

It's real pits your wits against the keeper time, pure entertainment and Im actually surprised more pens aren't missed!

JET seems to relish the challenge and he posted a vid of his pen yesterday with the hash tag #dontdiveforthosemate

Class!

What I've enjoyed doing is watching it on YouTube- turning up the speed setting to maximum and yet it still looks  slow.

A genuine question is though, if someone's taking a  direct free kick- they always don't do some fancy long run up so why must it be necessary when taking a penalty? If Jet has one saved- which he will sometime- is his lack of run up the reason? Personally, I think it must be terrifying to face such an ice cool confident approach.

The keepers may become familiar with his run up, but that's unportant, as they won't know which way the shot will go. His firsts was to the keeper's left and his second to the right. His third will go?

Other than the run up, it is actually quite different from his other one. It seems he can sense if a goalie is starting to move, and then hits it in the middle. This one, it was as if the goalie knew that and he held his ground, and then he popped it in the corner. Quite a skill if you have that level of awareness. Shearer used to say he used to decide where he was going to put it, and to never change your mind. JET seems to go in to it with an open mind until he sees what the goalie does. It really is quite extraordinary.

Goalkeepers practice facing penalties all the time, the beauty of Jets penalty taking style is that they're virtually impossible to practice against - no one else takes 'em like him and for anyone trying to replicate a Jet pen would struggle to do it well as it just wouldn't come naturally.

Keepers will only be facing approximation's of the real thing in practice, they'll still be filled with a nagging uncertainty when called upon to face the man himself.

Is the man pathologically unable to do anything the conventional way?

I reckon he even takes a shit whilst being bridged backwards over the bog on his hands and feet or hanging from the ceiling 'just for a laugh'.

He seems to get bored with convention. The word 'genius' does spring to mind or am I over-selling this?

I reckon he even takes a shit whilst being bridged backwards over the bog on his hands and feet or hanging from the ceiling 'just for a laugh'.

He seems to get bored with convention. The word 'genius' does spring to mind or am I over-selling this?

Archived