IGNORED

Live On Terrestrial Tv

North London Red

With next week's game against West Ham being live on BBC1, I was trying to think of the previous occasions we've been live on terrestrial TV.

I think I'm right in saying that the last two were Tamworth in SC's first game, and a 2-1 win against West Brom in February 2010 (also live on the BBC).

But before that, what games were there? I remember a 4-3 win at Derby in 92, a 3-2 win against Swindon in what I think was Joe Jordan's first game back in his second spell as manager (which was live on HTV, but may not have been shown nationwide), and a 4-0 loss at Twerton in 92-93 (the less said, the better).

Which other ones am I missing?

Not sure but I still remember Elton Welsby's (I think) opening to the coverage because I watched it so often after!

"The Clifton Suspension Bridge, that striking landmark as synonymous with Bristol and the west country as the twin towers are to Wembley. Around these parts to get to Twickenham is nothing new, but to get within striking distance of Wembley is quite a revelation. And now the tranquility of Bristol on a Sunday afternoon is about to be shattered..." Teams come out, pandemonium.

How can I remember that but not where my effing bank card is?

We beat Swindon 2-1 away live on HTV in January 2002 (Matt Hill and Peacock scored - yes I remember the game but had to look the details up).  This was around the time that ITV had rights for the football league and were allowed to show a few games on terrestrial TV which were networked locally (I assume).  This linked in with their ill-fated digital channel. I know this wasn't terrestrial, but am pretty sure we played Wigan at home and QPR away (went to the DEH to watch that one.) in front of the ITV digital cameras.  Just musing about other TV companies, I believe Setanta showed us once in the FA Cup v Portsmouth around 6 years ago?. but don't remember ESPN or BT Sport showing us.

I also have a feeling that we were live on HTV around the early 1990s (around the time of the Derby away game as that would tie in with ITV having rights to live regional broadcasts) when we were in the 2nd tier, got a feeling it was something like Grimbsy or Notts County at home, not an obvious choice, I'm sure someone can  remember better than me!

Think Newcastle at home with Millen in charge was on BBC. Could be wrong.

Other than that within the past few years or so we have certainly been on S4C playing against Cardiff.

Here is the footage of Alan Walsh agonisingly hitting the post (I was right behind the goal and to this day I still can't believe it didn't go in)...just a few centimetres away from a Wembley final against Luton:

Didn't we play Bradford Park End or someone like that about 15 years ago, Sunday live on BBC or was it Harrogate!!!

Such a shame that we have a restricted attendance and we aren't playing in our completed shiny, new stadium...............saying that by the time it's finished, we will be on TV every other week, against the likes of Man U & Arsenal.................well maybe!

Archived