IGNORED

Transfer Deadline And City On The Telly..

Lord Northski

Back in 2006 City played a televised evening game a day or so before the transfer deadline and Dave Cotterill played the opposition off the park almost single handed and clubs desperate to sign a messiah or season saviour sat up and took interest. If memory serves, Norwich offered something liked a million, however, Paul Jewell at Wigan stepped in at the last minute with a wad of 2 million and signed him.

As such, the ideal scenario for Sunday would be that we wallop West Ham 5-0 with all our players playing really badly.

Oh, and if anyone enquires about a Mr Cotterill we can say he's already left.

Or we out play and out class West Ham to progress to the 5th round with all of our players putting in outstanding performances and out billionaire owner rejecting silly money for all of them.

That works a lot better for me.

My issue is that at this stage it's better to have the player than the money (easy for me to say, it's not my money) It's that I'm probably not alone in feeling that we've got a couple of players in our present lineup that are better than Cotterill was then and silly money talks.

Is it better to below or above the radar of the money boys? Personally, this season I just want to go up.

Or we out play and out class West Ham to progress to the 5th round with all of our players putting in outstanding performances and out billionaire owner rejecting silly money for all of them.

The problem isn't our billionaire owner, it's our not-quite-millionaire players and their greedy agents.

Cotterill had an absolute beast but we all knew he wasn't really that good. Candy from a baby accepting that bid.

I spoke to the Lansdown's about this a while after the event. My impression was that Wigan had been bidding all evening and had been batted away but it came to a time when the bids were getting serious. After turning the last one down Steve said 'if they come back with 2m then I'm selling', I don't think he honestly thought they would, he was as shocked as we all were at the time. They did, and the rest is history.

Archived