IGNORED

Bbc Man Of The Match - Surely Rigged?

Freeman by a mile for me, or at least on his first half performance alone. I also thought Little had one of his best games yet. Ayling was solid too. Was a bit surprised Flint was named MOTM at the Gate, but yes he was rock-like as ever and I saw him after with his bottle of Bubbly so all good.

The MOM award is surely the most overrated, meaningless award in footy?!

Often 'voted' by the match sponsors in league games and always given to home players, how obvious is that?!

Really can't believe anyone would 'rig' a Man of the Match vote!! I mean, who actually remembers anyone who has ever won a MOM award for a particular game?

(actually for some strange reason I do actually remember Peter Hucker winning MOM at the 1986 League Cup Final, really dunno why I remember that so perhaps it shoots my argument down in flames! Happy Sunday all!)

Pull yourself together man - you're arguing with yourself :nono:

The fact Freemans final ball was a bit poor may give us an indication why he isn't at a top championship/lower premier league club.

Mmmmm....sometimes you gotta look at the pass BEFORE the final ball. If Bryan, smith and wag did better freeman would've created 3 goals today.

I find it astonishing that people criticise freeman. Our best player this season.

Reid was west ham's 4th best defender, after Tomkins, Jenkinson and then Carroll.

Harry, I love your posts to the extent that I think you should have a role at the club, but Reid was outstanding today. Agree Tomkins played really well and their back four looked solid (midfield not so much), but he was the difference between the two sides.

Tomkins did more than Reid all day long. Bbc put him up for mom due to him 'ushering' Matt smith off the ball 3 times in the 2nd half. I can't find anything else that he did having just watched it back.

Edit - much appreciate your compliment by the way.

Not watched it back yet Harry, but seemed at the time that he made a couple of interceptions that could have stopped goal scoring opportunities as well. Nullifying the threat of Smith was no mean feat either. Agree that Tomkins was also brilliant and we could easily have beaten another Prem team without those two. Anyway, may change my mind if I do watch it again, as always too engrossed in the match to view players as I would had it been a match not involving City. Copious amounts of cider probably don't help either, but seems others agree he did deserve it. Hammers fans I know also thought he was a class above. Albeit just a couple that I am good mates with.

The MOM award is surely the most overrated, meaningless award in footy?!

Often 'voted' by the match sponsors in league games and always given to home players, how obvious is that?!

Really can't believe anyone would 'rig' a Man of the Match vote!! I mean, who actually remembers anyone who has ever won a MOM award for a particular game?

(actually for some strange reason I do actually remember Peter Hucker winning MOM at the 1986 League Cup Final, really dunno why I remember that so perhaps it shoots my argument down in flames! Happy Sunday all!)

Footy? .... Aww come on thats almost as bad as saying soccer,, and talking of Americanisms its mum not mom.. ;)

It's very difficult for City supporters watching the match at the ground to be objective. Most focus on City players. If you're a neutral, or watching on TV where you get replays etc, you get a different perspective.

Indeed. I watched on BBC and was torn between Korey Smith, Joe Bryan and Luke Freeman (and perhaps Luke Ayling and Matt Smith), although acknowledged that both Winston Reid and James Tomkins had good games.

Watching (somewhat detached and admittedly only highlights) later on MoTD, I now tend to agree with WR as MOM.

Footy? .... Aww come on thats almost as bad as saying soccer,, and talking of Americanisms its mum not mom.. ;)

Soccer is an English term!

I thought Korey was man of the match today. Don't think he gave the ball away once and our midfield absolutely bossed Nolan and Noble, both of whom stunk yesterday and ended up getting booked.

To be fair to the ref, I actually thought he had a very good game and was very consistent. I was a bit concerned he'd pander to the players that he knew, but didn't think he did at all, good on him.

Freeman by a mile for me, or at least on his first half performance alone. I also thought Little had one of his best games yet. Ayling was solid too. Was a bit surprised Flint was named MOTM at the Gate, but yes he was rock-like as ever and I saw him after with his bottle of Bubbly so all good.

while freeman was great at fnding space there were several times where he picked the wrong decision or was too greedy- having said that I think a lot of our players were being a little greedy in the first half

Funny how we all see it differently, had Freeman had a bit of quality we would of been in many times in the first half his final ball was shocking. Big fan of his but yesterday wasn't his best.

Absolutely agreed here. He definitely made some poor choice with the final ball but was quality because he was allowed space.

Funny how we all see it differently, had Freeman had a bit of quality we would of been in many times in the first half his final ball was shocking. Big fan of his but yesterday wasn't his best.

Will point back to the argument of not having a clever striker with a turn of pace giving options to him although he did make the wrong decisions at times, he also had a lack of options at others.

Archived