IGNORED

Things Bristol Sport Should Ban?

WTFiGO!?!

Hear hear! Find another name that does not have racist, fascist or violent connotations.

You cannot live in a bubble.

Not all ultras are racist, fascist thugs....

As much as I loathe Palace, their ultras are very good at what they do by bringing an atmosphere to matches.. something which is severely lacking at AG these days.

Maybe the club or BS should be looking at them rather than making up ridiculous rules on the fly, the way its going everybody including away fans will be banned...

Not all ultras are racist, fascist thugs....

As much as I loathe Palace, their ultras are very good at what they do by bringing an atmosphere to matches.. something which is severely lacking at AG these days.

Maybe the club or BS should be looking at them rather than making up ridiculous rules on the fly, the way its going everybody including away fans will be banned...

The current understanding of the word "Ultras" leads one the think of political and racist extremists.

We are supporters of a football club; intense and very much believing in the Club. But we are not like the Oswald Moseley followers of the 1930's.

It should be within the capabilities of our more vociferous supporters to find a term/name that is unique to Bristol City and not linked with political/racist extremism.

Think laterally and come up with something that is maybe humorous but not used elsewhere.

In my younger days, there was a nickname of Ashton Alf coined by an Evening Post cartoonist. Come on City fans, get a name of our voiwn that does not offend.

That's too one dimensional.

I don't subscribe to the view that we should bend over and take it because we have a sugar-daddy who should be thanked at every opportunity.

When the club no longer belongs to the fans in a spiritual sense, I'll stop going entirely.

SL owns the bricks and mortar, but when it comes to the club's history and heart, he's a temporary leaseholder.

Nope, we own the bricks......remember the ones that were sold, wtf happened to those :laugh:.

The current understanding of the word "Ultras" leads one the think of political and racist extremists.

We are supporters of a football club; intense and very much believing in the Club. But we are not like the Oswald Moseley followers of the 1930's.

It should be within the capabilities of our more vociferous supporters to find a term/name that is unique to Bristol City and not linked with political/racist extremism.

Think laterally and come up with something that is maybe humorous but not used elsewhere.

In my younger days, there was a nickname of Ashton Alf coined by an Evening Post cartoonist. Come on City fans, get a name of our voiwn that does not offend.

Ultras is a loosely used term to describe a group of slightly to extremely organised & for the vast majority peaceful supporters groups, usually on the continent.

"Ultras" have been amongst the English football scene for some while, the term was adopted by fans who wanted to be seen as partisan, yet non violent, their aim was to create atmosphere and colour amongst the monotony of support witnessed up and down the country week in week out since the arrival of all seater stadia.

Ironically the ultras adopted the name to distance themselves from the violent firms & mobs (hooligans) attached to their clubs, even the police know the difference!

By people that don't know what they're on about, but read something in the Daily Mail once.

The only reason the term "Ultra" enters peoples mind, is because of the issues faced by British teams visiting Rome, and the well documented attacks by Roma fans on Man United fans.  Roma are left wing. 

Likewise when large scale disorder is shown in the news from places like Serbia the political context is rarely added to the article.

That is the main difference between "Ultras" on the continent and home, our fan groups are not political.

Ban Fans, Fans come from the word fanatics, we cant trust them, there are loads doing nasty things all over the world!

A good point has been inadvertently hit upon here... before commencing wholesale bans one or two checks need to be carried out. Thing is football is a business and money makes the ball go round.

Anyone familiar with daytime tv will be aware that often large sum of untapped wealth can be found in peoples homes... so before banning 'em best check out the baby ain't about to be thrown out with the dishwater so to speak.

Think fanatic -There could be cash in that fan(s)a(t)tic. 

With views like that surely you should work for Bristol Sport?  In your mind the word Ultra may lead you to think of racist extremists but maybe that says more about how much you know regarding the subject?

You go on about not offending people but with the comments you have made you will have insulted many Ultra groups across Europe and Britain who hold exactly the opposite political opinion.  

One day the club helps this guy put his flag up and the next without warning he's asked to take it down by the same people because of a word that's been displayed for ages,

Also a load of nonesense im afraid Dave L with that Rovers violence line you lot have thought up, if that was the case it would have been down a long time ago, frankly I'm disappointed you would even come out with something like that.

Who's offended by it?

The current MY understanding of the word "Ultras" leads one the think of political and racist extremists.

It should be within the capabilities of our more vociferous supporters to find a term/name that is unique to Bristol City and not ONE WHICH I HAVE DEEMED TO BE linked with political/racist extremism.

In my younger days, there was a nickname of Ashton Alf coined by an Evening Post cartoonist. Come on City fans, get a name of our own that does not offend THE SMALL MINDED WHO BELIEVE ANY PIECE OF PROPAGANDA THEY READ.

Hope you don't mind - I made some corrections

Ashton Adolf perhaps.

Ultra was the designation adopted by British military intelligence in June 1941 for wartime signals intelligence obtained by breaking high-level encrypted enemy radio and teleprinter communications at the Government Code and Cypher School (GC&CS) at Bletchley Park. Ultra eventually became the standard designation among the western Allies for all such intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra

why are the eastenders so attached to the word ultras?

its an imported word and has nothing to do with the history of the football club anyway.  

why not just go back to using a different word?

not exactly helping the stereotype that these sorts of fans all have little man syndrome. 

Please be 100% honest with me.  Does that flag offend you?

If you wanna pick on things that haven't been part of our history (even though we've had it since 92), perhaps I'll suggest we don't sing Cotterill's name any more, he's only been here a year.  Maybe we should cut links with the Wurzels, since they weren't around in the 1900's when we were in the top flight?

Oh, and well done on your own little stereotyping there.  I'm 6ft and have a larger than average cock thanks very much.  You won't find a little man round here.

With views like that surely you should work for Bristol Sport? In your mind the word Ultra may lead you to think of racist extremists but maybe that says more about how much you know regarding the subject?

You go on about not offending people but with the comments you have made you will have insulted many Ultra groups across Europe and Britain who hold exactly the opposite political opinion.

I think of toothpaste.

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s100.htm?102,15084264

Hmm, looks like Bristol Sport are bringing fans together......In opposition of their ludicrous decisions.

This is the 2nd time that rugby fans have been upset.  Back in November the decision was taken NOT to have a minutes silence on the Friday game of Remembrance weekend.

Archived