IGNORED

Bristol City Fans Baffled Over Fa Cup Ban On 'ultras' Flag

Kid in the Riot

I think even those who are tired of all the Bristol Sport bashing will admit this was a pretty stupid decision.

As Kid said, a negative publicity OG.

I'm also a bit tired of it, mainly due to the large volume of messages.

However, when we strip everything down to the bare bones, very little has been said by BS and they've fostered the bad feeling with bold statements that have very little supporting evidence.

Refusing to discuss things further (seemingly) is public relations arrogance of the highest order, whether you agree or disagree with their actions. 

Where as I don't agree with it....some of the insults aimed at the people trying to take this club in the right direction, and at a time when things are starting to go right.....is shocking

Some of the insults are a bit too strong, but a spade should be called a spade.

A period of success and investment is the time to shape the club for the better.  It will be a whole lot more difficult if we wait for a leaner time.

Where as I don't agree with it....some of the insults aimed at the people trying to take this club in the right direction, and at a time when things are starting to go right.....is shocking

This is not 'taking the club in the right direction'. In fact it is very regressive policy.

Some of the 'insults' are a shame but evidently some people value their right to freedom of speech quite highly.

More "free" scarves Sunday? Maybe a bobble hat as well?

I don't see why these issue have to be connected. The scarves thing went down well and it is pointless denying it whether it is your personal cup of tea or not. So no criticism of Bristol Sport on that front.

The actions and subsequent response of the club and David Lloyd in terms of the Ultras flag was mind boggling and stupid. No previous at this club for facism so why invent a potential scenario that doesn't even exist. Middle class nutters attempting to be politically correct and showing the rest of us that they really don't have a clue.

The bloke who owns the flag is probably Facebook friends with JET along with the other 20K, probably follows Little on twitter etc. etc. Without knowing them personally I reckon that my assumption that they don't use Bristol City FC as a vehicle for right wing extremist political views is a lot closer to the truth than the drivel spouted by David Lloyd on behalf of the club.

Anyway, we've got a game to look forward to Sunday!!

we are talking about a newspaper that is so lazy it culls it's information directly from OTIB. (which it has clearly done here)

whilst the original point of this discussion is still valid, trying to reinforce how the 'press' have picked up on it in this instance is far from realistic - the post isn't exactly 'the press' it has merely re authored the opinions already posted.

I disagree. I applaud the EP for running this story. Sure, it could be considered lazy journalism but it brings the story to a wider audience, the majority of which do not read OTIB. Stuff like this grows and grows once out in the public domain and could even lead to national press attention

City's main sponsor is RSG, there is a terrorist group operating under that moniker, so remove your shirts or they will be confiscated.

http://www.trackingterrorism.org/group/revolutionary-struggle-rsg-greece

Goes to show if you look hard enough you can find a tenuous links to anything, the club have got this wrong big style IMO.

Agreed. I must confess I am not in the know, other than recognising there was an east end lot who gave it a go and tried to get some atmosphere going. Would not being honest have applied the tems "ultras" to them. What all this has done is create more awareness of that particular sub branding than was ever the case before. Apparently the ultras are now what make going to see Bristol City worth while!

If any of that group did not recognise that as their name, they sure as hell do now. As indeed from that article many more will now know they exist.

Completly self defeating by the club this one - and possibly the best thing at has ever happened to the 'ultras'. To link a simple flag to extreme politics, trouble at matches was crass beyond belief..

This is not 'taking the club in the right direction'. In fact it is very regressive policy.

Some of the 'insults' are a shame but evidently some people value their right to freedom of speech quite highly.

Not saying you can't say it....saying some of the insults are neither helpful or constructive , and will only divide the fans and the club even more.

City's main sponsor is RSG, there is a terrorist group operating under that moniker, so remove your shirts or they will be confiscated.

Goes to show if you look hard enough you can find a tenuous links to anything, the club have got this wrong big style IMO.

Hahahaha. Good work mate.

Not saying you can't say it....saying some of the insults are neither helpful or constructive , and will only divide the fans and the club even more.

Maybe but let's not use it as excuse for the club not to address the main issue here. We know things are going right ON the pitch, this debate is happening OFF it so the two aren't linked.

Can you expand on this, I don't understand.

Lots of chants with "ultras" in them being sung last night.

I forget his name, but there is certainly somebody on this forum who prints teeshirts.

As a form of protest, although I must say that I am (broadly) in support of BS (the 'bubbles' and Ultras fiascos notwithstanding), a plain white teeshirt imprinted with the Greek RSG logo (fairly cheap I imagine and, of course, in red and white/black) would send a pretty strong message.

I forget his name, but there is certainly somebody on this forum who prints teeshirts.

As a form of protest, although I must say that I am (broadly) in support of BS (the 'bubbles' and Ultras fiascos notwithstanding), a plain white teeshirt imprinted with the Greek RSG logo (fairly cheap I imagine and, of course, in red and white/black) would send a pretty strong message.

Pretty bold, publically advertising a known terrorist group.

Archived