IGNORED

Susceptible To Pace?

Kingswoodactor

Heard this phrase a few times now from other League 1 clubs discussing on how to beat us, or where they think our weaknesses lie. But susceptible to pace? Why? 

We have quick players across the back/wing backs in Little, Ayling, Williams & Bryan. Korey Smith is no slouch in front of the defence either, so what are other clubs seeing that we're not? Granted, in those 20 minutes on Thursday night when Gillingham were on top, the pace and direct running of McGlashan did seem to cause panic in our back line, but I think it's more to do with the 3-5-2 system and the pockets of space that opened up between our midfield & centre backs. 

When Wade Elliot replaced Tavernier, we seemed to switched to 4-3-1-2, which seemed to nullify the majority of Gillingham's attacks in the latter stages of the game. I just wonder if this is something that we may see more of as the season progresses, and I'd be a tad surprised if we carried on with 3-5-2 in the Championship should we get promotion. There's a reason why it's hardly used in the top two tiers, and I'm guessing it's because you're playing against forwards and attacking midfielders with real pace most weeks, compared to that of League's 1 & 2. 

I'm interested to see how we continue with it, but for now I'm just happy that it's working for the players, and that we're producing free flowing attacking football with plenty of end result! 

Don't think we are really - I don't think we have that many weaknesses at the moment. Perhaps lack of a plan B, but on the whole we haven't needed one.

Only time we looked like conceding was against internationals Sakho and Carroll and even then it was only 1 goal.

Testament to this defence that we haven't lost by more than 1 clear goal all season (I think, could be wrong)

Don't think we are really - I don't think we have that many weaknesses at the moment. Perhaps lack of a plan B, but on the whole we haven't needed one.

Only time we looked like conceding was against internationals Sakho and Carroll and even then it was only 1 goal.

Testament to this defence that we haven't lost by more than 1 clear goal all season (I think, could be wrong)

I dont think we looked like conceding against West Ham at all.

And less than a goal a game conceded in the league hardly suggests we are susceptible to anything!

I think its the criticism you get when you are doing well, with pundits and other teams trying to make far more of something that is actually nothing.

Exactly. The three teams that have beaten city this season didn't win due to their amazing pace

Thought Swindon were pretty damn quick in getting Elliott sent off.

I think it was Taverniers lack of positioning that caused us problems as much as Gillinghams pace. He was often out of position, wandering all over the place instead of picking up his man. This caused Ayling all sorts of problems and forced him into uncharistic errors. After a while Ayling was barking orders at him Korey Smith had a go too. This was effective or a short while before he was off doing his own thing again.

I think it was Taverniers lack of positioning that caused us problems as much as Gillinghams pace. He was often out of position, wandering all over the place instead of picking up his man. This caused Ayling all sorts of problems and forced him into uncharistic errors. After a while Ayling was barking orders at him Korey Smith had a go too. This was effective or a short while before he was off doing his own thing again.

Always difficult on his first game for a new club. A bit of shouty arm waving by SC will soon sort that out :)

Agree with this. We were often left exposed down the right flank with their wide man (forget his name), who had plenty of pace, expolited on a number of occasions. I actually thought we missed Little, it took a while but can do both attacking and defending pretty well now, he's got the wing back position down well.  Taverniers a good player but needs abit more coaching for the role we want him to play.

Given the system we play it looks bad when our wing back or one of the centre halves get caught out. It happened against Preston when Flint got pulled out to the left after Williams (I think) was caught out. It happens so rarely that I wouldn't call it a weakness. It's a tough formation to play but we look very organised and comfortable with it.

Agree with this. We were often left exposed down the right flank with their wide man (forget his name), who had plenty of pace, expolited on a number of occasions. I actually thought we missed Little, it took a while but can do both attacking and defending pretty well now, he's got the wing back position down well.  Taverniers a good player but needs abit more coaching for the role we want him to play.

I think we missed Little too, but he's a player we seem to have to rest quite often. I'm not saying Tavernier won't be up to the job when he settles a bit more, but I've seen Little get a bit of criticism too. I think when you see another player come in and have a less effective game you realise what Little brings to the team.

The only weakness in terms of pace is up front. 

I agree with Billy. The only thing we lack is pace up top, especially when Smith and Jet are up there. Jet is no slouch but not REALLY quick, nor is Agard. A pacey front man is, to use a GJ phrase, the only club we don't have in the bag.

Archived