IGNORED

Evening Post Strikes Again

Monkeh

Blimey I am never leaving early again!

I did like the announcement over the tannoy telling the dolman to remain in their seats and if they did leave they would be made to leave the ground instead of the bit at the bottom of the dolman,

Made me chuckle

I did like the announcement over the tannoy telling the dolman to remain in their seats and if they did leave they would be made to leave the ground instead of the bit at the bottom of the dolman,

Made me chuckle

I'm in the Dolman and I never leave early, but it was amusing to see those who did 'disobey' be shooed along by the Stewards. They must have been given additional training for the hand movements! They gave the reason of health and safety due to it being a construction area why people couldn't stand down the front anymore, but the walkway is at least twice as wide as it previous was for years so should be less of a problem not more?

I'm in the Dolman and I never leave early, but it was amusing to see those who did 'disobey' be shooed along by the Stewards. They must have been given additional training for the hand movements! They gave the reason of health and safety due to it being a construction area why people couldn't stand down the front anymore, but the walkway is at least twice as wide as it previous was for years so should be less of a problem not more?

well if I come in my ppe with hard hat I could stand their because I will meet the building site H&S criteria....that will teach those pesky stewards

Made me chuckle

Yes, agreed.

That announcement has come about 20 years too late though !!

It's not the Evening Post, it's the Bristol Post - has been for three years.

Bit ironic slagging them off for inaccuracies and getting the name of the 'paper wrong!

With respect, there are many organisations that have changed their title but are still known by their traditional name. I will always refer to it as the Evening post, out of habit. I think they changed the title from Evening post because that was clearly a misrepresentation of reality, with the paper being on the streets and in shops by 9am.

With respect, there are many organisations that have changed their title but are still known by their traditional name. I will always refer to it as the Evening post, out of habit. I think they changed the title from Evening post because that was clearly a misrepresentation of reality, with the paper being on the streets and in shops by 9am.

I'm with you on this. I'm aware it hasn't been 'Evening' for a while, but will always be referred to as such as it's how it was named for the majority of my life, people know instantly what you are talking about. Bristol Post sounds like another paper. I remember it being printed 3 times a day and the paper sellers on the streets (whatever happened to them?) shouting out '3 Staaaaar Evenin Post'

I could always call it by it's more appropriate name, Evil Post.

I'm with you on this. I'm aware it hasn't been 'Evening' for a while, but will always be referred to as such as it's how it was named for the majority of my life, people know instantly what you are talking about. Bristol Post sounds like another paper. I remember it being printed 3 times a day and the paper sellers on the streets (whatever happened to them?) shouting out '3 Staaaaar Evenin Post'

I could always call it by it's more appropriate name, Evil Post.

"all the half times". Green Un, jumpers for goal posts, Rickets, Consumption, ice on the inside of the bedroom windows. You tell the kids of today and they won't believe you.

"all the half times". Green Un, jumpers for goal posts, Rickets, Consumption, ice on the inside of the bedroom windows. You tell the kids of today and they won't believe you.

Ha ha yes. One black and white tv per household, if you didn't watch what your parents watched there was no tv, but you didn't care as you were outside playing until it was dark anyway. No way of recording a programme, if you missed it tough. My parents even had a 'best' room, a lounge that was kept immaculately tidy at all times and had posh furniture. It was only ever used weekends and Christmas! I'm sure the Evening Post was read in there though.

Tsk kids today.

Ha ha yes. One black and white tv per household, if you didn't watch what your parents watched there was no tv, but you didn't care as you were outside playing until it was dark anyway. No way of recording a programme, if you missed it tough. My parents even had a 'best' room, a lounge that was kept immaculately tidy at all times and had posh furniture. It was only ever used weekends and Christmas! I'm sure the Evening Post was read in there though.

Tsk kids today.

Best rooms, eh? Whatever happened to them. I remember being banned as a kid from going in my grandparents' best room in case I damaged their collection of naff tourist trinkets they'd brought back from holidays.

To answer an earlier question, the Post's website is not produced in Bristol but in Plymouth. Probably by a minimum wage university leaver who hopes it'll be his or her first step into a career in journalism.

Best rooms, eh? Whatever happened to them. I remember being banned as a kid from going in my grandparents' best room in case I damaged their collection of naff tourist trinkets they'd brought back from holidays.

To answer an earlier question, the Post's website is not produced in Bristol but in Plymouth. Probably by a minimum wage university leaver who hopes it'll be his or her first step into a career in journalism.

I can beat that!

My parental grandfather had a parlour. I mean, he actually had a separate room in the house itself where he used to retire after Sunday lunch to play his gramophone records - I was sometimes privileged to place the needle on the record.

I recall vividly that, on our frequent monthly visits for Sunday lunch, we used to arrive to find his widowed daughter (my father's sister, for grandfather was a widower living in his daughter's house) slaving in the kitchen whilst Grandfather, having been to Church in the morning, would sit in his parlour with his glass of port awaiting lunch.

Agh.

Those were the days!

That'll be a very long step. then.

Playing cricket in the street, going down Temple Meads, buying a platform ticket and train spotting all day. Going out on the Downs after breakfast and coming back at dusk without parents panicking and calling 999...

Playing cricket in the street, going down Temple Meads, buying a platform ticket and train spotting all day. Going out on the Downs after breakfast and coming back at dusk without parents panicking and calling 999...

We had to blow a whistle to get a Peeler when I was young. That's if our lungs weren't still full of soot from cleaning t chimney.

Archived